Inexpensive low voltage cable lighting options????

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:15 pm
I am currently renovating my bachelor apartment, and as I am also a student, I am on a fairly tight budget ( Smile aren't we all :wink: ). One area of my apartment would be ideally suited to low voltage wire (cable?) lighting. I would like to install 5 - 6 50w - 12v spots in a rectangular pattern (about a 25ft perimeter) and only using the walls to anchor it (which is why I settled on the idea of a wire light system). I found some nice systems at local retailers, but they are ridiculously expensive, however the spot lights themselves, are not too bad. As I can hardwire the transformer directly into the walls I was considering utilizing an inexpensive, general purpose, 300w 120v to 12v transformer, as opposed to the actual transformer sold by the lighting retailer (which would save me about $350) and then hardwire an automatic reset button through the wall, for easy access.

Is this a bad idea? Are there any reasons that I should not do this? Is there anything specific about low voltage transformers supplied with the lighting systems that would prevent this from working? Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any other ideas that I could try???

Thanks for all you help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,227 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:59 pm
Hmmm.. Prolly need to get Lightwizard into this thread. He does lighting stuff for a living..

Lemme see if I can track him down. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:47 am
I wouldn't hardwire the transformer into the wall in your situation even if the landlord will allow you to do it. It's unlikely you could take it with you. There is an inexpensive 300 Watt transformer from Access Lighting (around $180.00) that is round and has a white plastic cover and an automatic breaker for safety (it will shut down the system if overloaded or shorted and then reconnect when the problem is corrected). You can hide the wiring in wire mold available at any home improvement store, but the high tech look of the cable going up the wall is attractive and you can put one or two fixtures on that portion of the system, for instance over a sofa as a reading light. In fact, you can hide the transformer behind the sofa. Just make sure you follow the recommendations of the system as to the length of the cable. There's a voltage drop which can overload the system and cause the lamps on the end of the cable to be dimmer. It's always best to have the fixtures evenly distributed. I wouldn't even use the 50 watt MR16 lamps -- you could use eight 35 Watt lamps (never load a transformer over 80% of its capacity). MR16's are very efficient and you'd find unless you have higher ceilings than 8', 35 watt narrow floods (25 deg) and a few spots for reading lights or to accent pictures or plants will fill the bill. There are also 60 deg. lamps made by USHIO which will fill the room with ambient light. for instance washing a wall with light. Your other option is Access Lighting's Intelitrax which is a miniature track that is 12 V and has a lot of fun fixutres including decorative drop fixtures (like over a bar).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 12:47 pm
BTW, the reason for the expensive transformer is codes and legal ramifications. There have been fires caused by these systems and the new transformers have a kind of voltage regulator which audits the power being drawn by the lamps. I would circumvent this by coming out of the transformer in two seperate sets of cable. The Access transformer has three outlets. As long as a run is no more than 15', you should have no problem. I definitely would not encapsulate a transformer into the wall unless I had a box installed with a lid for access to the transformer.
0 Replies

StudentOnABudget

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 02:27 pm
More questions
Thanks for the input Lightwizard. Now if you dont mind, I am really going to start with the questions, I love to know everything I can about this stuff. Just to clarify, I own my apartment, so installing the transformer in the wall is not a problem for me, plus I am re-drywalling so the drywall has already been removed, and had already planned on installing a box in the wall to place the transformer inside. The apartment is in a concrete tower, so I cant easily drill into the ceiling(though it is not impossible). The lighting that I will use will utilize the MR16 bulb. The lighting is for general ambient lighting within a bedroom area [4 spots used for general lighting] (area dimensions are 7' x 14'), with a single spot illuminating some art.

I have found several sources for proper lighting transformers (including soft start, auto reset and short circuit protection) on the internet, the primary source being WAC Lighting, do you know anything about them? There are a couple of questions that come to mind as a result of reviewing their transformers:
a) What is the difference between an electronic input and magnetic input transformer? Is there a benefit to going to the extra cost of the magnetic transformer (I am installing a dimmer, so the dimmer would also be more expensive)
b) It appears that I can use a 24v transformer on the 12v light system, is this correct? Is the extra voltage just to take care of the voltage drop over longer runs?
c) I have to make a single run that is about 25', which includes the distance from the transformer to the canopy power connector, and then the canopy to the last light, though I could install the canopy power connector in such away that the power is connected into the middle of the wire run, effectively creating a T and limiting the max distance of the power run to about 15' - 18'. Will a 250watt 12v transformer be sufficient to run 4 - 50w spots and a 35w spot (I want to stay with 5 spots to limit the cost of the heads) or would I need to use a 300watt 12v or 300watt 24v transformer? or should I just stay with 5 - 35 watt 38degree spots and would that be sufficient to light a 7' x 14' area?
d) The local retailer said that I could go to the maximum rated wattage of the transformer, do you recommend the 80% limit for safety concerns or to prevent the voltage drop at the last spot (if so, would utilizing a 24v transformer alleviate this concern)?
e)What would you recommend that I use as a filter (or a bulb) to prevent the harsh glare of the spots, when I am laying down in bed) [the local people seem useless when it comes to these questions]

Oh ya, do you know of any inexpensive sources for the insulated wiring, turnbuckles, standoffs, etc. for the cable wiring system?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I really appreciate you input.

Have Fun

StudentOnABudget
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Re: More questions
StudentOnABudget wrote:
Thanks for the input Lightwizard. Now if you dont mind, I am really going to start with the questions, I love to know everything I can about this stuff. Just to clarify, I own my apartment, so installing the transformer in the wall is not a problem for me, plus I am re-drywalling so the drywall has already been removed, and had already planned on installing a box in the wall to place the transformer inside. The apartment is in a concrete tower, so I cant easily drill into the ceiling(though it is not impossible). The lighting that I will use will utilize the MR16 bulb. The lighting is for general ambient lighting within a bedroom area [4 spots used for general lighting] (area dimensions are 7' x 14'), with a single spot illuminating some art.

If you were to ever sell the apartment, you may or may not want to leave the lighting system.

I have found several sources for proper lighting transformers (including soft start, auto reset and short circuit protection) on the internet, the primary source being WAC Lighting, do you know anything about them? There are a couple of questions that come to mind as a result of reviewing their transformers:

WAC is a major supplier although they are East Coast so I seldom use them. If you have a local retail dealer, they will have more than one source and therefore more choice.

a) What is the difference between an electronic input and magnetic input transformer? Is there a benefit to going to the extra cost of the magnetic transformer (I am installing a dimmer, so the dimmer would also be more expensive)

Answer: electronic transformers are not recommended for cable or rod lighting systems especially if they are remotely located over four feet from the end of the cable and the cable is no more than eight feet. In addition, the electronic dimmers, including the controllable X-10) are considerably more expensive -- X-10 close to $80.00. Electronic transformers can also create noise in the electrical lines so if you want to use X-10 controls, it may require a filter. I'm still not satisfied as to the reliability of electronics over 150 Watts.

b) It appears that I can use a 24v transformer on the 12v light system, is this correct? Is the extra voltage just to take care of the voltage drop over longer runs?

Yes, you can use a 24 V transformer but the 24V MR 16's are more difficult to find. It will not matter that much if your runs are only 15 feet.

c) I have to make a single run that is about 25', which includes the distance from the transformer to the canopy power connector, and then the canopy to the last light, though I could install the canopy power connector in such away that the power is connected into the middle of the wire run, effectively creating a T and limiting the max distance of the power run to about 15' - 18'. Will a 250watt 12v transformer be sufficient to run 4 - 50w spots and a 35w spot (I want to stay with 5 spots to limit the cost of the heads) or would I need to use a 300watt 12v or 300watt 24v transformer? or should I just stay with 5 - 35 watt 38degree spots and would that be sufficient to light a 7' x 14' area?

A 25 foot run would required 8 guage wire if you want as little voltage drop as possible. If you go 24 V, 12 guage would be fine.

The 250 watt would be insufficient to run the lights you are installing. Five 35 Watt MR16 would be okay -- remember that the total light output of an MR 16 Flood (for ambient light) is more than a standard lamp, in fact about double the lumens with a 60 deg. reflector.

d) The local retailer said that I could go to the maximum rated wattage of the transformer, do you recommend the 80% limit for safety concerns or to prevent the voltage drop at the last spot (if so, would utilizing a 24v transformer alleviate this concern)?

e)What would you recommend that I use as a filter (or a bulb) to prevent the harsh glare of the spots, when I am laying down in bed) [the local people seem useless when it comes to these questions.

Barn doors are the best to hide glare and are adjustable. Honeycomb or slatted (Access Lighting has bulb clip-ons of all three types) will affect the beam spread of everything but spots (10 deg). The barn doors are also the most efficient for blocking the spurious light (halo) off the MR 16 reflectors. The USHIO Eurostar reflector has the best control of the beam.

The local retailer is full of it. 80% is an electrical contractors recommendation. On 24V, you could load as high as 90%.

Oh ya, do you know of any inexpensive sources for the insulated wiring, turnbuckles, standoffs, etc. for the cable wiring system?

These have been domestically produced for years and are expensive due to low production runs and hand tooled parts. They are just barely getting these systems from import sources which should bring down the price somewhat (Taiwan has had the best factories producing high quality lighting products and Korea is getting there). There are several manufacturers but Tech Lighting is probably the most reasonable. I have used a kit from a Canadian company that is made in China but it's limited to three 20 Watt MR 16's. My installers have adapted it, by not using their low output transformer and replacing it with a 250 Watt with five 35 Watt lamps but that's about the limit at about a 15' run of cable. It is cheap, though (about $149.00 per kit including all hardware and three fixtures, the rod type with a lamp fixture at the end of the two rods).

All of this still requires screwing into the walls or ceiling so you've got no choice but to drill small holes and use screw inserts. The Intelitrax miniature track has two screws every four feet. I have that miniature track light in my own home using the more conventional looking white lamp fixtures and all 35 Watt lamps although I am lighting art and objects and not using it for ambient light. Bear in mind that lighting pictures and object does give some reflective ambient light, especially as it is nearly unavoidable not getting some of the beam reflecting off a wall. The barn doors, of course, alleviate that effect (if you want your art discretely spotted with light).

BTW, with X-10, you can remotely control an inline dimmer from any of their sending devices, like a table top for about $12.00. That eliminates trying to run the transformer to a wall switch (although my recommendation of locating the transformer near a baseboard and running the cable or wiring up the wall would allow you to plug it into a wall switch controlled outlet).

Thanks in advance for all your help, I really appreciate you input.

Have Fun

StudentOnABudget
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:57 am
Hey Lightwizard,

While you're here, mind if I ask another lighting question?

Years ago, I used to have two wall sconce lights. They were perfect for apartment dwellers in that they didn't require hard wiring, but hung on the wall via picture hooks and plugged into electric outlets.

Been looking for almost a year for anything like that without any success. Does anyone still make wall lights that don't require hard wiring?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:02 pm
Butrflynet - There are a few scattered in the pages here:

http://www.formplusfunction.com/sconces.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:42 pm
A length of wire mold to run a lamp cord up a wall (it can be painted or wallpapered) and a surface electrical mounting plate (ditto painting or wallpapering) and any sconce can be used. Just visit your local home improvement store and the fellow in the electrical department will help you select the parts.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:50 pm
Good Website, fishin' and they also sell the Tech Lighting cable and "monorail" (rod) systems. StudentOnABudget may want to check that on. I do use Tech Lighting from time to time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 05:43 pm
Lightwizard,

I'm a little confused about your suggestion. Are you saying that any hard-wired style wall lamp can be used by just placing a mounting plate on it and connecting the ends of a lamp cord to the nubs of the wiring harness of the lamp? I didn't realize that was possible or safe to do. Am I understanding your suggestion correctly?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:56 pm
Yes and it is to building codes. As long as the cord is covered (in some areas, the wire mold must be metal) and it junctions into the surface mounting plate properly, there's absolutely no problem using any wall sconce. If it were inspected by a building inspector, they would, of course, pull down on the fixture to make sure the plate was mounted on the wall properly. That seldom happens. Just make sure the wire nuts behind the fixture are secure.
If you have to run along the baseboard to the nearest outlet, wire mold is really a good idea thee also (they make "L" connectors to make a 90 deg. turn).
0 Replies