Cheap Alternatives to Pricey Beauty Products for Women

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:37 pm
I'm really cheap. Makeup and Beauty products are, in my opinion, often ridiculously overpriced.

I've come up, with a bit of research, with many cheap alternatives to ordinary products like toners, moisturizers, conditioners, etc.

Maybe other women would like to try these at-home alternatives as well?

Facial Toner:

Fill a little plastic bottle with Witch Hazel and add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. Shake before each use. You can easily adjust the amount of Tea Tree Oil to create a weaker or stronger product, depending on your skin's sensitivity. Use like any other toner.

Facial Moisturizer:
Jojoba Oil! My skin is very oily, yet despite this product's name, it actually reduces oil production.

Be sure your face is damp or even wet when you use this product. Put 2 drops of the oil on your fingertips and massage into face. I put most on my wrinkly eye area, spreading the rest lightly on face and neck.

This is by far the best facial moisturizer I've ever used. It helps to even out skin tone, actually reduces acne, and does not feel oily.

Jason Brand Jojoba Oil is available at local health food stores, but costs twice as much as Jojoba “Massage Oil” (same thing) online. I get mine from www.wellspringtrading.com, $4 for 2 oz. I've used this same container daily for over 8 months now.

Makeup Setting Spray:
I bought Rosewater once at the health food store for this purpose, and really liked it. Especially if you use mineral makeup, it helps to “set” it with a light spritz when you're done.

After I used up the Rosewater, I cleaned the sprayer bottle and filed it with bottled water and a few drops of Orange and Lemon Essential Oil. Works just as well as the Rosewater, and a tiny container of Orange or Lemon Essential Oil is enough for at least a dozen refills.

I use this same spray to wet my face after my toner, then apply the Jojoba Oil.

Makeup Remover:
Coconut Oil. I just dip a tissue in the (huge) container and rub gently over eyes and face to remove even the heaviest makeup. The makeup just zips right off.

Then I wash (I like Cetaphil to wash my face, and it's cheap at Wal-Mart).

I got a huge container (16 oz.) of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil at the health food store for about $16.00. Also available online, of course.

Note, you can also eat this stuff for its health benefits; many folk do. Link to health benefits of Coconut Oil here:

http://www.coconutoil.com/research.htm

Hair Conditioner:
Again, Coconut Oil. Apply to your hands and rub throughout dry hair. Some women sleep with this on. I'll leave it on for a couple of hours. Then wash and condition hair as usual. Makes your hair so very soft and shiny!

Women with very long hair might like to put a very small amount of Coconut Oil only on the ends.

Facial Mask and Scrub:
BC Headache Powder and Honey. This is the best facial mask/scrub I have ever used! Plus it's not only very cheap, it's ridiculously easy to use.

I empty the BC Headache Powder in my (clean) palm and cover it with a teaspoon or two of ordinary honey from the grocery store. Mix it all up with your fingertips.

I like to apply to a damp face. You can scrub if you like, or just apply to your face, depending on your skin's sensitivity. Leave on for about 10 minutes, and rinse.

Note: Some people are allergic to the caffeine in this powder. If you have such an allergy you can just crush up two ordinary aspirin or allow them to dissolve in water, then mix them with the honey and use as above. I use the powder because of the caffeine, which reduces the appearance of veins and large pores, and because the powder is so very easy to use.

Tooth Whitener:
You know this stuff is pricey even at Wal-Mart, right? I tried Crest's White-Strips and found they hurt my teeth, even hours later.

Instead, I now use this little mix: 2 Tablespoons of Baking Powder and 2 Tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide. Dip your toothbrush in their and brush as usual.

Works great, and does not hurt my teeth.

Scented Body Sprays:
I like to use an empty sprayer bottle and put bottled water, a bit of rubbing alcohol, and Essential Oils in there as cheap alternatives to scented body sprays.

I'm very fond of Lavender and Orange Oils, and can mix up 4+ refills of these sprays for the price of one little container of Essential Oil. It's also fun to mix your own custom scents this way. Shake well before each use.

Cheap Makeup of Excellent Quality:

I've no association with this company, but highly recommend ELF (www.eyeslipsface.com). They have eyeshadow quads, clear mascara, eyeshadow brushes, lip balms, and many other great products for $1.00 each.

I used to use Burt's Bees lip balms, but ELF's Therapeutic Conditioning Balm stays on longer and moisturizes much better, plus it's 1/3rd the price.

Their $1.00 eyelash curler is the best I've ever used. I usually order online, but certain Dollar General, Target, and Big Lots stores carry ELF products.

If you sign up (as I did) for their e-newsletter on their website, you get frequent coupon codes for even more discounts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,813 • Replies: 25
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
@BorisKitten,
I just may try that jojoba oil.

For a mud mask, bentonite works real well, but I don't know how available it is. In the oilfield, it comes in 50lb bags, and probably isn't very expensive. Now, who would use 50 pounds in a lifetime is a different matter.

I once tried hydrogen peroxide on the teeth and ended up with some inflamed gums. I probably wouldn't try it again even mixed with baking powder, even on your recommendation. You did mean baking powder, and not baking soda, right?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:52 pm
https://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/600/2260850.jpg
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:29 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I once tried hydrogen peroxide on the teeth and ended up with some inflamed gums. I probably wouldn't try it again even mixed with baking powder, even on your recommendation. You did mean baking powder, and not baking soda, right?

Oh **** Roger, I DID mean Baking SODA!

And at the moment I can't even figure out how to edit my original post. Doh!

BAKING SODA, folks, mixed in equal amounts with Hydrogen Peroxide, for teeth whitening.

And please take Roger's advice: Try it once; if it irritates your mouth/gums, don't try it again!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:31 pm
@roger,
Quote:
For a mud mask, bentonite works real well...

Hmmm... sounds intriguing.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Never tried Bag Balm, Dys. Watcha use it for?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:32 pm
@BorisKitten,
any and every part of skin on your body.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@dyslexia,
Gotta try it then. I've seen this (Bag Balm) in my local drug store, and seem to recall it is NOT overpriced. Yippee!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:42 pm
@BorisKitten,
Oh, knew I'd forget something. My favorite all-over moisturizer is "Nadinola," 99 cents at Walgreens for a 4-oz. tub, sometimes on sale for 79 cents. (Also available online if your local Walgreen's doesn't have it.)

Love this stuff! No strong scents and the first two ingredients are Water and Cocoa Butter, yet it's NOT greasy.

Even better when the tub is about 1/2-full and I mix in a few drops of Tea Tree Oil.

After I epilate my legs (see my silly "Makeup and Fur-Ripping" topic for more on epilation), my legs are all irritated. I use my Nadinola/Tea Tree Oil mix all over my legs, and the unsightly, irritated bumps from the fur-ripping go away much more quickly.

Tea Tree Oil has many other uses, too. A little dab of the straight Essential Oil on an insect bite does wonders.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:14 pm
Skin firmer.....1 x beaten egg white and let dry on your face then wash off, tightens the skin for a day.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@BorisKitten,
Usually cheaper at a feed store. If you don't know, its a medicated petroleum jelly. Messy as hell, but it's the ultimate option before seeing a dermatologist.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:02 pm
wow.
the best cheapest make up remover I know of?

water + rag

Setting mist?
waz-at?

maybe I need to girl up a bit Laughing

Off to Elf site . Thanks for that Smile
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:58 pm
@shewolfnm,
Shewolf, that there "Setting Spray" can set you back a good bit, while working no better than your home-made sprays.

Here's a link to Mac's (read: overpriced) website, where you can get 3.4 oz of a "Makeup Setting Spray" for ONLY $17!.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT177&PRODUCT_ID=388

RIGHT. Or you could just make your own at home for maybe 1/8'th the price, or less.

For products like this I like to say, "Thank you Sir, may I have another?"
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:00 pm
@KiwiChic,
Sounds darned good to me, though in the meantime I'll probably have to eat some eggs, eh?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:02 pm
@roger,
Well, there I go (feed store, plenty of these local-like!)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Off to Elf site . Thanks for that Smile

ELF is great! I canna nearly afford to pay $14 for a single freakin' eyeshadow (from Mac), but I can easily afford to pay $1.00 for four eyeshadows!

I simply LOVE their (ELF's) compacts, where you can pick which eyeshadow, face, or lip colors you like, 4 of 'em for $5 in a lovely (mirrored, sturdy) compact. Each color is $1, plus refills are $1.

Folks buy these compacts and put their overpriced Mac cosmetics in them; they're that good.

Me, I really dislike that "I've been ripped off here" feeling with cosmetics. ELF (www.eyeslipsface.com) has calmed me considerably.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:08 pm
I was on a related kick about this a couple of years ago on a2k. I'll try to find the link. I was sick and tired of the shampoo and conditioner expenses. What I ended up doing is washing my hair much less often. This turns out to be better for my scalp and my hair is much less oily, just like my mother used to try to tell me and I didn't listen. This is tricky here in August, but not a problem for most of the year.

Anyway, I'll try to find that old thread for people's suggestions.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I at least went to washing my (very oily) hair Every Other day, rather than every single day.

Would much like to see that link of yours.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:29 pm
@BorisKitten,
Found it.
http://able2know.org/topic/106655-1

I'm an old once a day shampooer, at worst, every other day - now I've gotten to every fifth day or even sixth day. Big difference in my hair. I'll admit not to doing that this last week or two, ick. And you live in Florida, which is humid; much dryer here, and where I used to live. Also, of course I'm older.. but I was still washing it nearly every day up until a few years ago.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:54 pm
elf doesn't ship outside US Sad