Car won't start after new battery installed

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:37 pm
My old battery was dead for about a month. Whenever I tried to start the car, the starter would make a clicking sound, but wouldn't start the engine. I bought a new batter and installed it. Once everything was hooked up, the light under the hood came on, and everything seemed to be working inside(radio, lights, beeping, door locks ect.). I then went to start the car and everything died. It didn't start, no lights, and the door wouldn't lock . About two minutes afterwards the lights came back on and the doors would lock/unlock so I tried to start it again and the same thing happened. Any suggestions as to what my problem is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 12,355 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 05:12 pm
@onmars89,
Short in the starter motor perhaps.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 05:31 pm
@onmars89,
clean your battery cables and put them on again. (tight)

sounds like a bad connection that when a load is applied, it fails...
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 05:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Did you take note of the recovery time after the load had been place on the battery?

That seem to indicate that a very heavy load indeed had been apply to the battery where it needed some time to recover and that would not be cause by a dirty connection limiting the current in my opinion.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
I did, and this is the first step toward diagnosis.

(i've seen it happen, but I agree that it is more likely something else.)

one step at a time.

(could also be a dud battery)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 07:39 pm
yes, short. Something caused the battery die. Perhaps it's not jsut old age, but maybe not. However, the next thing to check is the starter. If your lucky it's only starter solenoid (ineexpensive), but an electrical diaganostic should determine what is causing the eletrical drain that you're having.

Rockhead and a few others sare good at automotive questions. Farmerman too.
0 Replies