Should NASA go to Mars or back to the Moon?

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:30 pm
@Setanta,
The relative gravity of Mars is 38% of one G (the force of "gravity" on our planet at sea level). My plan to use snowballs from Saturn would have the one drawback that you'd need to keep cartin' the **** in. It's not the gravity well which is responsible for the thin atmosphere on Mars, it's the lack of a magnetic field. The solar wind is a serious bitch if you don't have some really mega-sun block . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In term of human life times or even 10s of thousands of years off hand I do not think that any large part of the atmosphere would leak away solar wind or no solar wind or a lower g field then earth.

Hit Mars with some big water full comets and I do not think you would need to repeat it for perhaps a few 100s thousands years even.

If some one could loan me access to a super computer for a few months I might be able to give you a better idea then that however.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:25 am
Mars AND Moon out of reach
Eorl

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:16 pm
@rosborne979,
"We think to go direct to Mars with today's technology and money is riskier than we would want to be associated with," Augustine said. "It would likely not succeed."

Of the 237 men who set out on five ships to circumnavigate the earth in 1519, only 18 completed the circumnavigation of the globe and managed to return to Spain in 1522. They were led by the Basque navigator Juan Sebastián Elcano, who took over command of the expedition after Magellan's death. (wiki)

That fool shoulda stayed home too, obviously.

We'll get there soon I think, but I doubt it'll be America.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:17 am
@Eorl,
The motivation to circle the globe and find new land was obviously greater than the motivation to go to Mars. At least when you discover new land on Earth it's already terraformed and ready for exploitation Wink It's like free money.
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:36 am
@rosborne979,
Don't forget spreading the word of god . . . that's was a big deal to them boys . . .
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:38 am
@rosborne979,
It's good to see reason returning to NASA.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:40 am
You mean NASA's gonna spread the word of god on Mars?
Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:44 am
@BillRM,
Bill -- I somehow missed your explanation when you posted it. It makes sense now, thank you very much.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Don't forget spreading the word of god . . . that's was a big deal to them boys . . .

Maybe the church should fund the trip to Mars. If they find microbes up there then they can actually guide their evolution into God-Fearing future Martians who will be genetically compelled to give their money to the church.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 07:51 am
@Setanta,
No. Obama won't extend NASA's budget, so they won't be able to do that now. Further proof he's a Muslim.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:24 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
No. Obama won't extend NASA's budget, so they won't be able to do that now. Further proof he's a Muslim.

I knew it.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:54 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

"We think to go direct to Mars with today's technology and money is riskier than we would want to be associated with," Augustine said. "It would likely not succeed."

Of the 237 men who set out on five ships to circumnavigate the earth in 1519, only 18 completed the circumnavigation of the globe and managed to return to Spain in 1522. They were led by the Basque navigator Juan Sebastián Elcano, who took over command of the expedition after Magellan's death. (wiki)

That fool shoulda stayed home too, obviously.

We'll get there soon I think, but I doubt it'll be America.

Not with that kind of attitude - who the hell is Augustine anyway? - but I have hopes we'll find better NASA managers than this particular clown soon. Btw, if you see the plan (by Buzz Aldrin) I linked to earlier on this thread, it doesn't allow for return to Earth: rather, the astronauts are expected to be colonizers in Mars.

Most of the risk and expense is in coming back, not getting there.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 11:33 am
@Thomas,
LOL Thomas - was quickly scanning old posts and misread your comment as "...he (Obama) is a Martian".

Good article in new Economist:
http://media.economist.com/images/na/2009w34/Space2.jpg
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14256807
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:49 pm
Ugh -- Obama does the Kennedy thing again.

Today's New York Times wrote:
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- President Barack Obama predicted Thursday his new space exploration plans would lead American astronauts to Mars and back in his lifetime, a bold forecast relying on rockets and propulsion still to be imagined and built.

Full Article
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Ugh -- Obama does the Kennedy thing again.
I have yet to see any serious commentator on the space program cheering the Obama plan. The consensus is that it is the end of manned flight for a LONG time. I was also noticing that the space corporations with the money are not interested in putting their own money into research, as the last time around they got burned bad (Sea Launch et all). Given that no one is willing to take over the investment roll from the government on the scale needed the Obama plan is DOA, it is a plan to bury manned space exploration.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The consensus is that it is the end of manned flight for a LONG time

The end of US manned flights not the rest of the world.

Please take note of the China current man space program and announced plans for the future as one example of this.

Hell a man space program does not even need high tech as we went to the moon mainly on late 1950s technology.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:10 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The end of US manned flights not the rest of the world
Right.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:36 am
@BillRM,
What is very annoying is now that we know that there is useful amounts of water on the moon it is the key to man flight to the rest of the solar system.

A key that we are going to now allow others to used after having a lead of a half century or more!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:45 am
@BillRM,
what is very annoying is that we have already spent something like $5billion on the moon rocket, have let another $10 billion in contracts which will cost anywhere from $2.5-$10 billion to get out of (since an out clause was never written into the contracts it all needs to be negotiated now). ALL of this money, and 5+ years, was wasted because we can't make up our minds what we want to do.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:27 pm
I'm starting to feel like the next thing they really need to do is build a replacement to the shuttle. With the shuttles at the end of their run, I'm feeling very grounded.