Help!!! Printing out labels in Microsoft Works

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:15 pm
I am writing from work, using our pc with windows xp.

We are working towards eventually printing out mailing labels.

We put addresses in a data base file in Works.

The information in each field extends past the size of the box but is recorded because we can print out the complete information in "form". Unfortunately, it prints one address to a page.

When we print in "List", it only prints what shows on the screen.

We cannot succeed in printing a list that shows all of the information.

Can you talk us through this?

Also - how do we abort a printing order short of shutting off the computer and throwing the printer out the door? (We can't figure this out using Microsoft Works help..)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:36 pm
Hi Osso,
I never used Works, but I can help you stop the print job before it goes through all the paper in the office...

It's an XP thing, not a Works thing. Click Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes. This will open a window showing all the printers the computer's connected to. Double-click on the printer you want to stop.*

The print job that's running will show in the window, along with any other jobs sent to that printer and waiting to print. If there's more than one job, select the one you want to stop and choose Cancel from the Document drop-down menu. If the job you want to stop is the only job there, or if you want to cancel all the jobs scheduled for that printer, just choose Cancel All Jobs from the Printer drop-down menu. This should stop the printer.

*If you're experimenting and having to shut the printer off again and again, leave this window open so you can switch over to it in a hurry and cancel the job quickly.

I'll see if I can think of anything helpful about the actual print job... When I make labels in Office, I use Word, with the Envelopes and Labels feature from the Tools menu... Right off the top of my head, can you widen the box in the database file? Try grabbing the edge of the box up in the top (the column label) and dragging it so it's wide enough that all the text shows. Maybe double-clicking the box edge up there will automatically widen just enough...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:50 pm
Wow, Osso. Wish I could be there to help or offer step-by-step instructions, but Works is not what I'd use.

The problem of printing one address to the page sounds like you need to correct an option in Page Set-Up.

I'd be stopping a print command by clicking on the printer icon, select the print order and then deleting it or using the Cancel options from the pull-down menu. Because of the memory that goes into the printer, you'll still not be able to stop the entire run. Turn of the printer first, of course, to save as much stock as possible. Have you tried that?

Although someone will probably pooh-pooh this, I've found the best way to have a good set of mailing labels is to print them as you want them, and in whatever format for your favored labels -- e.g. 3 up, ten down. Do that on regular paper. (You can even do this by moving the file into Word or whatever you've got for word processing and then fancy 'em up or make minor corrections.) Then take this master list and go to the local copy shop and have them use that list to copy-print your list onto label stock. That way you have a handy check-off list which is a great place for scanning, making corrections and just having a good record. If your mailing list doesn't change much, you can even re-use it for the next set of labels. You'll save a lot of headaches and there won't be anymore mangled and unusable label sheets.

Good luck.
0 Replies