Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 03:09 pm
a friend of mine just got a job as some sort of stage manager for Boston Lyric Opera. She'll be working downtown and doesn't want to commute to badly. she also needs a place with parking that will accept pets. (cats) Slappy, she's also a young hottie.

anyone have suggestions and/or resource ideas for her? For apartments that is.

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 5,034 • Replies: 30

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 03:33 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
In general I like Rent.com when setting a baseline to compare things to when searching for a place to rent. Depending on her personality, finding a place (or roommates) on craigslist can prove great (or REALLY bad).

T
K
O
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 04:26 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Tell your friend to check out Charlesbank Apartments located at 650 Huntington Ave. Lovely highrise located on Mission Hill. It has a parking garage and cats used to be okay. It's across the street from the Mass
College of Art.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 04:39 pm
Young hottie? If I still lived in Boston I'd say she could stay with me. Sadly, I moved away 5 years ago.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 05:00 pm
@NickFun,
Looks like she got a lucky escape.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 05:15 pm
The Symphony Hall area is pretty -- but I imagine it may be pricey as well.

I just found a place for $3500 in the downtown area, cats okay. Too rich for her blood? What does she want to spend. In my area, apts are $1250/month or so, commute is not bad -- express bus takes 20 minutes outside of rush hour. Trolley is slower but of course has no traffic issues.

Dunno how good this site is but it seems to have a decent search feature: http://www.bostonapartments.com/
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:44 am
Depends on cost. Living right in downtown is really expensive. If she's got a high budget, she's got a lot of options downtown.

Still expensive, but she could look in Cambridge; there's plenty of neighborhoods near the train...Somerville, Porter Square or Davis Square, which are good neighborhoods next to the train and a little cheaper but still pricey(that's kind of close to where I am).

Charlestown is expensive and a nice area, not sure about transportation from there, but it's close to the city.

Allston/Brighton, neighborhoods right outside the city, mostly college students, a lot of bars, ect., expensive, close to the city but the bus & train can take forever to go the 2 miles into downtown.

South Boston is fairly close to the city, on the bus and train. Mix of young and locals. South End is an expensive, mostly gay but really nice neighborhood that's closer.

If she's hot and needs a tour guide I'll do it..for $100/day.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:52 am
Just following up on Slappy's suggestions, there is also some reasonable (for
the area) apartment stock in Medford and Malden that is close to the MBTA.
Sglass

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:21 am
Dont forget Jamaica Plain and Brooklyn , good greenline service.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:33 am
@George,
I live in Medford on the Somerville line. I like the area a lot. There is a commuter rail right near one part of Medford too. Malden is good location wise, not as nice an area. Not terrible though, just not as much going on...but cheaper.

Actually I have a friend trying to rent a 1 bedroom luxury condo with parking in Malden.
George

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Our first apartment after getting married was in Malden about halfway
between the Fellsway and the Malden MBTA station. That area wasn't
bad at all. We worked in downtown Boston and took the subway.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:24 pm
@George,
True, that is a nice area. I looked at a house in the Maplewood area this year too, that was a good spot.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:29 pm
Parking in Boston is always a problem. There are 3,000,000 cars going into Boston every day. There are 11 parking spaces.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:47 pm
@NickFun,
Hey, didn't you like my joke?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:47 pm
thanks for all your help here.. My friend is now asking how long a ride on the T from these various places?

I don't know why Im helping her. It's not like I'm going to sleep with her. I must be getting soft in my old age. (no pun intended)
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:52 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
There is also Quincy - which has many apartments and four T stops. If you are near Quincy Center - you can take either the T (subway) or the commuter rail - the commuter rail will get there in about 10 minutes; the subway double that. The commuter rail doesn't run as frequently(it is on a schedule) and costs a bit more.

There are a variety of neighborhoods - some really nice (Marina Bay) and some not so nice - most areas though are pretty safe - lots of restaurants and bars and stuff and lots of diversity.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I found a great link here:

http://www.mbta.com/

click on plan a trip and put in where you want to start from (I did Braintree) and where you want to end (I put downtown for downtown crossing T stop) - it showed you the apprx time the next T left, best route and what time you arrive. Could be helpful for your friend.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:01 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
My friend is now asking how long a ride on the T from these various places?

From Medford/Malden she'd probably get on the Orange Line at Malden Center
or Wellington Circle and ride seven or eight stops to Downtown Crossing.
That's about a half an hour.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:25 pm
@Mame,
Sorry Mame. I loved you joke. And it's only too true!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:26 pm
<bookmark>
0 Replies