0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 01:57 pm
Like.... I hear you, sista.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:52 pm
@NickFun,
I can remember driving while stoned. Nowadays never, but from 1974-1980, on weekend, partic. Sat evenings about 50% of the time. I really got into being super-careful after having rcvd speeding tickets when driving when I wasn't stoned.

But, driving while drunk...no way! That is often a recipe for death or trouble of some sort. One or two glases of wine or 2 beers is acceptable...but any more than that, reaction time slows perceptibly.

So, when stoned, I purposely drove under the speed limit - not the wisest thing to do as far as safety and not attracting attention. I think my reaction time was fairly good as long as I was in the hyper-attentive mode, but God-help-us-all if a cool song came on the radio. A time lapse of say 5 sec might occur where I was paying little attention to the conditions. Thank heavens we didn't have cell phones then or I'd be dead or someone else would have been. It was tough enough having an 8-track tape or FM radio to distract me..then there's all those buttons to press. It defies my understanding of thw universe how people can text and drive.

Legalize marijuana? When people start to develop common sense and practice it while driving on the roads. Pay off Calif state's debt with profits from marijuana sales? Not so sure. Lots of legal battles to clear with Feds first.
High Seas

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:09 pm
@Ragman,
California finances are in such desperate straits that state-issued IOUs are quoted at 75 cents on the $:
Quote:
Most sellers are offering the IOU certificates at a 15% discount to their face value and the certificates themselves pay an interest rate of around 3%. Even if it was legal to buy one of these things they are not a very safe investment. The potential of a 15% return is nowhere near the risk of losing all your money. The troubles in California are still deepening. Residents are fleeing the state in droves and moving to Colorado and Arizona. Taxes are increasing and services are deteriorating and the business climate simply stinks.

http://blog.skipmcgrath.com/
The state is already ignoring any number of federal laws because it has no money to enforce them - one more law won't make much difference.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 05:36 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Pay off Calif state's debt with profits from marijuana sales? Not so sure. Lots of legal battles to clear with Feds first
Remember as Mr Natural said:" Dope gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no dope."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm
@Ragman,
So, fix it at the federal level..
like, how can this still be going on?

(watch me not hold my breath)
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:09 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
The troubles in California are still deepening. Residents are fleeing the state in droves and moving to Colorado and Arizona.

Look out Colorado and Arizona. Leopards don't change their spots.

Unless you like deepening troubles that is.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:12 pm
I'm not quite a total libertarian on drugs, finding nothing redeeming about meth and maybe some other substances if I knew about them, but I have that general take. Endanger others, slammo. If not, your business.

Another problem I'm working out my thinking on is the costs for drug rehab - the luxe ones, sometimes truly absurd places, and whether all our insurance goes up to pay for those (not sure) and the lack of treatment for the many.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:24 pm
@spendius,
Yeh, I absorb a lot of anti california talk here, a lot of it from Dys, but also from others. Sorry, but I see some california ways could make some improvement here. Signage, for example. Drainage practices. Urban planning that is not out of the sixties.. Oh, never mind.

In northern california, I heard a lot of near-hate talk about southern californians, of which I am one. Heard that for many years.

In northern california and southern california, I heard about how oregon hated us, led by a famous to them governor.

Residents can leave california because property values increased to a balloon state, though not for the first time. (My father was born there in 1906, had something of a long view.) The reason the values balloon is that there is much good about california.

Some of the current scud is about the populace not wanting to increase taxation in any way. There is a history to all that.
Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Nothing would make me happier to see Feds legalize marijuana. The time couldn't be more appropriate then now with financial crisis. My concern is what would happen with the fundamentalists who fell alseep after the Republican elections defeat. Legalize or decriminalize pot and it could get ugly(ier) quickly.
NickFun

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:45 pm
@Ragman,
The hallucinogen Salvia Divinorum is still legal! Let's have some of that meanwhile!
Ragman

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 11:54 pm
@NickFun,
I thought salvia was dangerous
Ragman

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:00 am
@Ragman,
nope, I was wrong:

"If salvia is smoked the main effects are experienced quickly. The most intense ‘peak’ is reached within a minute or so and lasts for about 1"5 minutes, followed by a gradual tapering back. At 5"10 minutes, less intense yet still noticeable effects typically persist, but giving way to a returning sense of the everyday and familiar until back to recognizable baseline after about 15 to 20 minutes.[53]

Chewing the leaf makes the effects come on more slowly, over a period of 10 to 20 minutes, the experience then lasting from another 30 minutes up to one and a half hours.[53]

When taken as a tincture the effects and duration are similar to other methods of oral ingestion, though may be significantly more intense, depending on the potency of the extract.[52]

Immediate effects
Psychedelic experiences are necessarily somewhat subjective and variations in reported effects are to be expected. Aside from individual reported experiences there has been a limited amount of published work summarising the effects. D.M. Turner’s book Salvinorin"The Psychedelic Essence of Salvia Divinorum quotes Daniel Siebert’s summarisation, mentioning that the effects may include:[54]

An example of salvia-inspired visionary artUncontrollable laughter
Past memories, such as revisiting places from childhood memory
Sensations of motion, or being pulled or twisted by forces
Visions of membranes, films and various two-dimensional surfaces
Merging with or becoming objects
Overlapping realities, such as the perception of being in several locations at once
A survey of salvia users found that 38% described the effects as unique. 23% said the effects were like yoga, meditation or trance.[55]

Media reporters rarely venture to take salvia themselves, but one firsthand journalistic account has been published in the UK science magazine New Scientist:

“ the salvia took me on a consciousness-expanding journey unlike any other I have ever experienced. My body felt disconnected from ‘me’ and objects and people appeared cartoonish, surreal and marvellous. Then, as suddenly as it had began, it was over. The visions vanished and I was back in my bedroom. I spoke to my ‘sitter’"the friend who was watching over me, as recommended on the packaging"but my mouth was awkward and clumsy. When I attempted to stand my coordination was off. Within a couple of minutes, however, I was fine and clear-headed, though dripping with sweat. The whole experience had lasted less than 5 minutes.”
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:58 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
my mouth was awkward and clumsy

More saliva with your salvia sir, is this your first trip here?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:39 am
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

Recently a friend and I were high on some top shelf ganja and we were engaged in a very interesting conversation. Something distracted us for a moment. I asked, "what were we talking about?"

He replied, "Um, ****, don't do this to me man".

We both knew the conversation was intriguing and we had more to contribute but neither of us could recall what we were talking about. This is why I do the stuff very sparingly.

I beg to differ re interesting and intriguing conversation.

The only thing worse than being straight and listening to stoned people have an intriguing conversation, is to be straight and listening to coked out people exhibiting their enhanced intelligence and insight.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 06:52 am
Stoned philosophical conversation.

I love right around 1:07

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:41 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Yeh, I absorb a lot of anti california talk here,.......

Not from me you didn't - it's just Spendius's habitual incoherence, this time failing to distinguish between what I quoted and what I wrote.
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:46 am
@High Seas,
PS your opinion on this would be appreciated, btw, Ossobuco:
http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/v-print/story/1998971.html
NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:30 pm
Here's a story that relates: http://unconfirmedsources.com/index.php?itemid=4095
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:05 pm
@NickFun,
LOL Nick. On the same publication is an even more relevant article:
Quote:

According to industry insiders Goldman Sachs has been quietly gathering up California's state and the municipal bonds of its major cities. A search of trading reveals that Goldman Sachs now owns or controls bonds worth and estimated 285 billion dollars. Over 100 billion dollars of debit from the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.".............Once Goldman Sachs seizes control and sweeps away the states paralyzing government bureaucracy, they should make a healthy 26% yearly return." With that rate of return a hugely profitable IPO should be possible within 2 to 3 years. said Paulson.