Looking for antique painting.

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:04 am
I found a picture 5 years ago at an antique mall in texas. Not sure if it is a lithograph or painting. It is a whimsical view of several women entering a party wearing black hooded cloaks. As they enter the party a devil is taking thier cloaks at the door. There is alot of pink and it was very feminine and elegant. Can someone help with my search.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:12 am
Hi sezua, welcome to A2K. What are you searching for exactly?
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:04 am
Hi and Thank you. I am looking to find out about a drawing and/or it's artist. I found what I think is a lithograpgh because of it's detail. It was a small framed art depicting a scene of women entering a party wearing black hooded capes and a devil at the door inviting them in and taking thier capes for them. If I had to guess the date it looked to have been done around 1940 but the subject matter looks to be from early 1900's It is most unusual. Very feminine and whimsical lots of pink as a dominant color.
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:06 am
mac11 wrote:
Hi sezua, welcome to A2K. What are you searching for exactly?
Not sure if I replied to your response in the appropriate area?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:15 am
yes, your response is great! Is there a date or signature on the painting?
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:07 am
I have no idea, sorry. I only have a description. I have looked all over the internet and have turned up with nothing even remotely fitting my description.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:12 am
I see. I thought you purchased the painting and were looking for more information.

I'm at a bit of a loss about how to help. Maybe one of the more informed art "experts" here will know of some online resources that might help.
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:27 am
I did not purchase it so I am trying to find it again or any info regarding it. It was almost cartoonish so would that be a lithograph?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:34 am
Not necessarily - a cartoonish painting is possible in any medium. Where in Texas were you? Is it possible to go back to that source?
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:58 am
It was in Montgomery Texas. I have left message with the owner of the shop. I hope they can remember. I asked about the picture when I was there and I recall the person working there at the time told me that it had been there awhile. I think the stores name was Liberty Bell Antiques. But like I said earlier this was easily 5-6 years ago that I was in the area. This is a difficult one!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:59 am
Definitely!
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
What does not help is that I am not very saavy in the world of art. I love antiques so I frequent different shops whenever I can.
After searching the internet I do know that it is not that old. It is not neoclassical or anything like that. It looked to me like a lithograph done in early 1900-1950. It was not a scary picture even though it has a seemingly dark subject matter.
0 Replies

sezua

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:36 pm
Thanks for the help. I found the picture. It is a Harrison Fisher titled "Fine Sinners" beleive it or not the owner of the antique store still has it available. Wow!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:23 pm
Wow! What good luck. I'm glad to hear that you tracked it down.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 05:47 am
Could you please post the picture here so that we can see what you were referring to?
0 Replies