Deb's new computer....crowing and problems thread.

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:08 am
I have a new computer.

Up and running as of five minutes ago.

Just boasting, and also creating a space where can ask for help when my Luddity becomes ascendant.

Vista here I am.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 957 • Replies: 14

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:11 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Vista here I am.

I hope you got the option to say bye-bye soon, too, even if it's an upgrade to Windows7!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:14 am
So how does it actually feel to have a brand new computer, Deb? I have never had this experience, so want to know. <sob> All of mine so far (apart from a work laptop) have been hand-me-downs. So do tell. You can even skite a bit if you like!
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:51 am
@msolga,
My last computer was new.....the previous one was second hand.

Depending what you want....they all feel like....computers!
msolga

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:12 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
... they all feel like....computers!

Oh, OK then ....
Me, I'd be pretty excited to initiate a brand spanking new one ... all the old one's problems out the window. A new leaf & all that ....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:50 am
@dlowan,
Congratulations on the new arrival! So cute!
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:19 pm
@sozobe,
IT'S black!
panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:25 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
IT'S black!
Shocked
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:26 pm
and to think you could have gotten one in pink...
George

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:26 pm
I've got Vista, too. Sometimes the system coms to an unexpec
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Black looks cool.

And the box is smaller and way less intrusive.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:36 pm
I ordered a new PC for BBB too. The one it is replacing is about 7 years old. The new one is still in the box. I'm using it as incentive to clean out all the clutter in the computer room before installing the new one.

We'll be able to commiserate/crow together in a few days. One thing I did do was insist on XP and not Vista.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:39 pm
@dlowan,
Now is a good time to start backups. It's much easier to start backing up an empty computer and then running incremental backups than it is to start once you have a bunch to save and are worried about the data integrity.
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Now is a good time to start backups. It's much easier to start backing up an empty computer and then running incremental backups than it is to start once you have a bunch to save and are worried about the data integrity.

Cricket has listened, oh wise one.

However, she is still struggling with FACE-up.

Eg....I just had (very shame-facedly) to call HP support....because my computer had gone to sleep and I could neither wake it up, nor turn it off and begin again.

As it happens, my keyboard ought to have a crescent moon key to wake the machine up, but doesn't.

I have to say that HP support is the BEST tech support experience I have had in my computer life to date.

Not only were they infinitely patient and polite, they took on board my explanation (at the beginning of the session) that I am a bit deaf and struggle with very foreign accents at the best of times, but also that my current pain meds scramble my brain and make me far slower and dumber than usual.

The techie actually remembered this, and did not become rude when I had to ask for clarification of what he was suggesting repeatedly.

Because he was not rude and impatient, I was relaxed and far quicker to understand him, and also stayed polite and able to enjoy lots of jokes and fun with him.

I think I will email HP about this, because it made a long fault detecting session a pleasure, rather than stressful.
dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@dlowan,
Is it just my Vista that gets itself frozen a lot?
0 Replies