Water through windows

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:56 am
We noticed water was sitting on the ledge between the transoms and the windows on all of our windows.
This is happening on all 13 brand new vinyl windows during heavy rains. After testing we found out this was caused because there are gaps in the seals between the glass & frame of the transom windows. A repairman told me that the windows should be removed, re-sealed & re-glazed. The window company came out, put a bead of sealant around the outside of each window & told me they consider this a permanent fix. My concern is that the windows were defective in the manufacturing process and eventually the seal will deteriorate because of Chicago weather & the problem will re-occur.
My questions is - should I insist on removing the glass, re-sealing & re-glazing, or believe their claims that the outside seal will last as long as the inside seal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:06 am
@armandd50,
You need to look at the guarantee/warranty the company offered at the time of purchase. I bought some Pella windows a few years ago and one of them started to leak between the thermal panes creating a big mass of green goo. I sent them a photo and they arranged for me to have a new window installed. They said the fault was theirs. I'm sure not all companies will be as nice.
0 Replies