Favourite women artists?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 11:28 am
I like Julie Mehretu's work tu.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:30 pm
Very nice description, LW. Very nice indeed, and evocative.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 03:47 pm
Actually, she is enclosed space and negative area which she handles brilliantly. The ends of the lines can be visually connected to come up with yet another shape. I really appreciate how her minds works -- she isn't shackled by the styles and techniques of the artists I mentioned. She has extrapolated the styles and techniques to make them her own. Quite a talent.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 03:48 pm
BTW did you notice how they resemble some kind of scientific graph just as much as maps? The topography of the planet is, after all, an order in a disorder of lines and shapes. Even then, one could say the same thing about the sky -- like she is drawing the tracking of star fields.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:24 pm
Yes, lw, that is what I like about it too. And, while the work reverberates, it works by itself...
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:44 am
mehretu's work looks fresh and new......
0 Replies

waynewan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 07:55 am
The same to you
0 Replies

kenji

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:11 am
I'm with Vivien; Gwen John from Wales (who lived and worked in France and had a close relationship with Rodin before living more like a hermit) is comfortably my favourite. Her paintings- most famously of girls, cats, simple rooms and nuns- have wonderful balance, delicacy, intimacy, texture and, yes, subtlety. Augustus John, who was far more famous, recognised she was the superior artist and that one day he'd be remembered merely as her brother. She should be much better known internationally, but we live in an age which values shallow "originality" over depth, quiet wisdom, spiritual strength and genuine mastery.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:09 am
interesting insight kenji and i agree
0 Replies

kenji

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:58 pm
I forgot to acknowledge Shepaints' Gwen John contribution! Good to see her getting some recognition here. Interesting to read about Gwen's travelling rough; Augustus lived a pretty Bohemian life, spent time with and painted Romanies. He also decked Dylan Thomas though much older, when he was going out with Dylan's future wife Caitlin and Dylan was starting with her too. I can't imagine Gwen having such a volatile temperament! Probably more a case of still waters run deep.

Another top female painter is Paula Rego, from Portugal, based in Britain. Mysterious, sensuous and quite disturbing work.

I also like some Frankenthaler, eg "Wales".
0 Replies