Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:47 pm
Since I was painting the house today I had a lot of time to let my mind wander. As my mind roamed this idea that has been percolating took form so I started adding details and I think my idea would make a great movie. Something very different from what I've ever seen - which doesn't mean it doesn't exist because I don't see that many movies.

Anyway.

I know a woman who teaches screenwriting (and doesn't Joe Nation do some screenwriting?) so I thought I might approach her (him) with my idea since I am not a writer.

If I take this idea to someone how do I make sure that I retain credit for the idea? If something came out of the screenplay how would I get paid seeing as how I just thought it up but someone else did all the actual writing? I don't want someone to steal my idea and take all the credit for it.

Any help?

Thanks!

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:14 pm
@boomerang,
One way to protect a common law copyright is simply to mail the ms. to yourself, registered, so that the date is clearly stamped. Do not open it, once it arrives. Keep it sealed, preferably in a safe deposit box at the bank. If, in the future, there is any dispute about who had the original idea, you have the evidence in the form of a dated piece of mail. In your case, since you're not writing the actual script, you would write a synopsis of your basic idea.
djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:17 pm
this isn't a story about a guy and another guy, who incidentally likes to wear hats, go off and do a bunch of stuff and meet up with some other guys is it

cause if it is, i thought of it first as this post will plainly show

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:18 pm
Excellent advice!

Thank you.

I'll sit down and put something together to mail me before I spill the idea to anyone!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:20 pm
@djjd62,
The "excellent advice" post was to Merry.

You may not have my guy in hats idea. You thief!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:20 pm
@Merry Andrew,
That's called a treatment. And MA is right, that sending yourself the treatment registered mail is a common screenwriter behavior.
I have to add that my husband and other friends have some real life experience with this.. it is hard to copyright an idea.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I know it's called a treatment, Osso. But I detest that word and the way it's used in Hollywood. Detest it. So I call it a synopsis, an outline, a plot framework, anything but 'treatment.'
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:33 pm
@boomerang,
my inspiration for the two guys bit is a quebec comedy group called the vestibules, here's the routine

0 Replies