Help dadpad and mumpad plan a European tour

Barry The Mod

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 05:50 am
Dadpad,don't forget to keep us posted on your photo thread when you set it up.We would all love to see the folks you bumped into Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:34 am
Here endeth the lesson.

we made it home and have had an excellent adventure.

Oh.. and its raining and cold here.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:46 am
@dadpad,
Yay!! Home safe!!!
msolga

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 06:07 am
@dadpad,
Welcome back, dapad & mumpad.
I suppose you're both suffering from jet lag now?
Yep, & it's freezing, too.
Bet you both wish you'd stayed away longer!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:56 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Bet you both wish you'd stayed away longer!

Well, their German was improving a lot .... that wouldn't have been the problem Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:29 am
@dlowan,
Be sure to visit our neighborhood next time, heh?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@dadpad,
Just in general - I've had success staying at B&Bs throughout Europe. Depending on the time of year (if it isn't a high travel time) and if you are more adventerous - I'd wing it while I was there. We traveled by train and when we arrived at a destination, we would go right to the Travel information station and they would book us with a B&B.

This worked very well in England - they seemed to be able to size you up and place you with a B&B that worked well. You could also tell them your preferences of the types you like.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@Linkat,
And how far from the train station. I usually booked my close to the station for convenience, because more often then not, public transportation was readily available.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
I travel quite a lot, mainly in Europe.

Good b6b's usually aren't to be found close to train stations. And outside the UK, France and major regions in Italy, you don't find a huge number of b&b's at all .... besides in rural areas. And that's even more pleasant. (In France, I really like it e.g. to stay with just a few other guests and with interesting hosts.

(I do think that mumpad and dadpad found a rather nice b&b in Germany, though some hundred miles away from the ferry port Wink )(But just 15 mins or 35 mins from the next airports ...)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I should have mentioned that my stays near the train stations were always hotels and not B&bs, but they can most often find them within your requested price range.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That all depends, I think.

When we were in Munich a couple of days ago, I got a four+ star hotel for the price of a b&b there (80€ including breakfast) ... and only 100m away from the next suburban train station.

In Rome and Nice I stayed in some quite luxury b&b's at a price, you had to pay for a 2* hotel ... (And in Paris we usually stay in b&b's farer outside)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, As a regular traveler around Europe, I'm sure your knowledge about all things related to travel is second to none. I will not challenge anything you say, and will even seek your advise the next time I'm planning an independent trip to Europe, because I "know" you and trust your judgment.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In my experience I've found that there usually is a tourist information or lodging help right within the train station or right outside. As far as where to stay - you can always ask for a preference to be close to the train.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah - I found the nicer ones in more remote areas, however, if you are more concerned about location and cost than how nice the B&B is - you can often times stay walking distance. Really a matter of what is important to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
As a matter of fact, that's what I used when I did a two week independent travel by Eurail many years ago.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:22 pm
Dadpad, I'll let you have a day or two to recuperate, but then I'll be expecting some more pix!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
Pics coming. We've got something like 2000 to sort through.
littlek

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:16 pm
@dadpad,
Egads!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:17 pm
@dadpad,
how many with the lens cap on?
dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:21 pm
@Rockhead,
None (any more) I think i've deleted those. Also deleted the nude hotel room shots that mumpad took.