Help dadpad and mumpad plan a European tour

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:39 am
In august 2010 we will travel to the north of England to mumpad brother wedding. after which we intend to do some traveling in europe. we will have approx 2 - 3 weeks.
The budget will be quite limited I suspect but we are not used to 4 or 5 star accomadation.

That is as far as the plan has got.

Where would you go, what would you like to see.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 6,942 • Replies: 101
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:06 am
@dadpad,
Not posting with any advice or suggestions, dadpad ... just to say I'm really, really jealous!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:36 am
@dadpad,
I just want to mention that there's a direct connection between manchester (which is kind of North of England) and our local airport.

We've got quite a nice non-star room and could aditionally offer some free tours around the country ...

Besides that: budget airlines connect various interesting European countries/cities; B&B's aren't bad at all and not too expensive.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:57 am
well thank you Walter, I cannot definitly say yes at this point, but the offer is certainly enticing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 10:27 am
@dadpad,
This is great, dadpad and mumpad. Where have you two always wanted to see?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 11:19 am
@dadpad,
A lot depends on what your own individual tastes are. I really love the British Isles- England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland- but I have English and celtic ancestry, so they're of particular interest to me.
Outside of England, I love Spain because I love latin music and culture and Spanish food.
The southern and western part of France are spectacular in terms of scenery. I've been to Paris- but I prefer more wild and natural settings myself. The French alps, and the Dordogne are beautiful regions and in the Dordogne, you can paddle the river and see medieval and walled villages from your canoe. Of course, if you're a city person - Paris is a must -see- even if you're not a city person - it's spectacular.
Next time I go to France and Spain, I plan to explore the Pyrenees, walking, I've heard they're very beautiful. If you like to hike, there's a pilgrimage through the Pyrennes along the way of St. James. The hostels there cost 3 euros a night.

But if you just want to get to know a specific area- there's more than enough to do and see around England in two or three weeks time. I've lived here four years and I still haven't seen all that I'd like to see and every time I go anywhere , I always feel that I'm coming back to the most beautiful European country when I return to England.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 01:56 am
one idea has us going to Sweden Finland Russia and Abkhazias as mumpy has connections there. possibly we wont be allowed in to Russia because mumpad worked for an Aust security organisation some years ago.

Walter is making an extremely good case for including his area. (ie free accomadation and local knowledge.)

maybe slovakia, slovenia or lithuania, latvia.

I have a feeling i want to be out of my comfort zone but we should achieve that easily.
Mumpad is a bit of a museum/artgallery fan.

Although i want to "see" a BIG city i know i will be more relaxed out of the hustle and bustle.

I would like to spend some time in more rural and forest areas, so i can compare with where i live.

Hopefully we will be able to sit in a pub/bar/cafe and chat to some locals.

I also feel it wont be the big differences that impress me, it will be the everyday small differences like leaves and grass, colour and light.
aidan

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:22 am
@dadpad,
Yes - the sky seems much bigger and closer over here (in comparison to the US- or at least the east coast- where I'm from and lived most of my life).

I think the bigness of the sky here is similar to how it is in the plains states of the US.
In fact every time I drive over the county line from Somerset (which is more forested and treed) into Wiltshire - I feel as if, in the space of an hour's drive, I've traveled from someplace like Maine into some place like Nebraska.
If you've never been to the midwest in the US and you want to experience something akin to it - drive west to east through the county of Wiltshire-
(that's where Stonehenge is - but once you've seen that - it's still worthwhile to be in Wiltshire just for the golden fields and huge, empty sky).

England has a very beautiful countryside and you can be out in the countryside in about ten minutes from almost any of it's larger cities - aside from London.
And as I've discovered and am still discovering, there really is almost every type of landscape (for such a relatively small island)- aside from desert.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:25 am
making a note:

Besenwirtschaften

Besen
Izzie

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 07:39 am
@dadpad,
Hey DadPad & MumPad

If you manage to get down this way - my house is yours. Very welcome anytime! Dartmoor... well, the SouthWest is lovely - as are many parts of England & Wales. Scotland would be well worth a visit if you're up North and on the way - THE LAKE DISTRICT - stunning beyond words. Magnificent Scottish highlands and lochs. Ireland... oh... the Emerald Isle Razz

I've been told Prague is totally beautiful.

Venice - I know that to be fabulous from many years ago.

Paris - a must... if you can. Of course, a city like no other, IMO is London.

So many places to choose from... I'm sure wherever you go it will be a trip to remember. x
saab

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 12:33 pm
@dadpad,
You will have plenty of time to plan and come up with ideas fitting your interests.

2-3 weeks in England is just enough to get a an idea of all the things there are to see and you would wish you had more time.
If you can make it to Walter in Germany that would be very nice as Germany has much to offer too.
I would avoid southern Europe in August. It is vacation time there and also in some other parts of Europe. It is hot, overcrowded and expensive. Italy, France, Spain and Greece are at there best in April/may and September/october.
Sweden is also nice in August. School vacation is over and so is the industrial vacation. The climate is very nice for travelling at that time of the year.
dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:19 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
If you manage to get down this way - my house is yours.

Ok! after we leave you can have it back if we dont sell it in the meantime.
Seriously though thats a lovely offer. We only stay a day or maybe two so we don't disrupt your life too much.
I knda wonder about cramming too much in two our 2 or 3 weeks so one plan has us arriving at Heathrow and driving (generally) north to Doncater for the wedding then on to Scotland/ireland spending maybe a week or so doing all that staying at B&B's along the way.
Then on to Germany to whip Walter and Mrs Walter into shape.

I dont mind driving, I think you get a good idea of the countryside and can have wonderful adventures by getting a little lost in some backroads.

I need to get info about driving in other european countries.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:26 pm
@saab,
Saab, thanks for your input.
We have friends/aquaintances in Karlstead and Bolnas so Svenska may well be on the agenda.

I'd like to get right up north of Sweden and explore the country up there as it will be so completely different to here,... but maybe not so different just..remote like some parts of Aust but cold climate not hot ? even though it will be summer.

I just read that back and it doesn't make a lot of sense but i think maybe you will get the picture.
dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:28 pm
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&q=padbury+england&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=au&ei=AcJNSt7EFYSUsgO-jrHpBQ&ll=51.971266,-0.95227&spn=0.007072,0.018625&t=h&z=16

Probably we will go to Mansfield which has the same name as my home town.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&q=padbury+england&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=au&ei=AcJNSt7EFYSUsgO-jrHpBQ&ll=53.095673,-1.355438&spn=0.441176,1.192017&z=10

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:34 pm
Kansas.

thats in europe isnt it?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:38 pm
@dadpad,
not bloody likely...

(we are the anchor of the "fly-over states")
dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 09:50 pm
@Rockhead,
just checkin to see if you was paying attention pebbles.
solipsister

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 01:39 am
@dadpad,
you know as well as i that you cant get to mansfield in england by starting in mansfield victoria

the 6-8 weeks youve outlined so far sound superlative

good onya for bludgin the accommodation

careful driving on the wrong side of the road
saab

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 01:40 am
@dadpad,
Lappand is of course very interesting - In have never been there - but with a short time in Europe I would not really recommend going all the way up there.
From Neaples, Italy to Trelleborg south Sweden is just as far as from Trelleborg to Kiruna 1.500 kilometres. You would need a couple of days just going there and another going back and not having time to see all the interesting sights on route.
Weatherwise Northern Sweden is in no way colder than Southern Sweden in the summer. Sometimes it is even warmer. Yeasterday they had between 25-30 C with some parts between 12-15, but that could happen anyplace in northern Europe during the summer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:19 am
@solipsister,
solipsister wrote:

you know as well as i that you cant get to mansfield in england by starting in mansfield victoria

Of course you can. Its been done several times.

solipsister wrote:
careful driving on the wrong side of the road

Hang on I thought that was the US
0 Replies