Supreme Court decides Ricci Case

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:12 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

The Constitution grants power to Congress to enact laws to remedy discrimination.

Really?
(I wonder what the Founders, who wrote the Constitution, woud have thought of that opinion.)

Where does it say that in the Constitution?
Maybe in the 10th Amendment?

David
Yankee

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
The results of the test demonstrate a significant disparity of a pass rate among racial lines--

BULLSHIT!!!

The results demonstrate 99 people failed the test.

How many whites took the test? How many Blacks, Hispanics took the test.

Maybe the 99 people who failed should argue the the test was too hard.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:21 pm
@Foxfyre,
You'll note that I didn't quibble with the "inappropriate" portion; I quibbled with the "blatant" portion.

Discrimination on the basis of race is inappropriate, whether it takes a blatant form or not.

From how I understand the issue in question in this case, is whether the test can be assumed to be discriminatory on the basis of race, based on the outcomes of those taking the test.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:32 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
118 employees took a test:

17 white employees passed the test;

2 Hispanic employees passed the test;

0 black employees passed the test.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here.

It is possible that the test is racially biased, but it is also possible that only 19 people were qualified to pass the test. I don't think one can make an assumption either way, without further investigation.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:34 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

118 employees took a test:

17 white employees passed the test;

2 Hispanic employees passed the test;

0 black employees passed the test.

The results of the test demonstrate a significant disparity of a pass rate among racial lines--

I never said that the LAW requires an equal or better outcome for minorities. However, the LAW does require a employer to consider the disparate impact that the testing may have had on minorities. Ricci sued the city for doing exactly what the law required the city to do.

In the first place, merely from a statistical perspective, your conclusion is not supported by the facts you cited. Only 16% of the employees who took the test passed it. That's a fairly low rate. I don't know the racial distribution of those who took the test, however, it is fairly clear that the statistical case does not warrant either your conclusions or the indignant certainty that appears to accompany it.

Secondly, there is nothing here that demonstrates either the presence or absence of the City's leagally required "consideration" of disparate "impact" - whatever the hell that means.

I don't dispute the plaintif's right to sue, only your insistence that they must win.

Debra Law wrote:

According to your argument, the employer must simply assume that white people possess superior intellect and test taking skills entitling them to promotions without questioning the underlying factors that may have contributed to the disparity of the results and the adverse impact on minorities. According to you, a refusal to certify the highly skewed test results in order to evaluate and determine whether the test was skewed in favor of whites is RACIAL DISCRIMINATION against white people. According to you, the reverse-bigots and the reverse-racists want to keep the poor white man down and give them inferior lazy blacks an unearned hand-out. Shucks! You argue that a good faith effort by the employer to end disparate impact discrimination does more harm than good for its supposed beneficiaries.

Your argument, however, is simply fodder for ignoring disparate impact discrimination and for encouraging the true bigots and racists to design tests that will weed out minorities.

All nonsense. You are apparently arguing for legally guaranteed equal outcomes without admitting it. Nothing in my argument implied anything about any employer's assumptions about the relative intelligence or "test taking skills" of white people and those of "protected minorities". The test was simply a written examination of the candidate's knowledge of technical and procedural issues surrounding various aspects of firefighting. Everyone apparently had equal access to the testing opportunity and to the materials required for learning the material - no contrary allegations were offered on that point.

How does one contrive to create a test of firefighting knowledge that will "weed out minorities"?? It seems to me that you are arguing that blacks are inflicted with some form of permanent learning impairment, genetic or cultural. In fact the growing number of blacks who are succeeding in business and the various professions makes it rather clear that there is no such thing. The issue here is rather clearly the behavior of the 118 individuals who took the test - regardless of their color.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:34 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You'll note that I didn't quibble with the "inappropriate" portion; I quibbled with the "blatant" portion.

Discrimination on the basis of race is inappropriate, whether it takes a blatant form or not.

From how I understand the issue in question in this case, is whether the test can be assumed to be discriminatory on the basis of race, based on the outcomes of those taking the test.

You didn't quibble about blatant?

DrewDad wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
2. Those cultural taboos and barriers are now down, legally and effectively in most of society with laws in place to prevent blatant inappropriate discrimination.

What fantasy world do you inhabit?

How about just preventing inappropriate discrimination? Why does blatant enter into it?

My point is that 'inappropriate' can be in the eyes of the beholder. One member thinks it 'inappropriate' if most or all of a minority group taking a test fail the test. There is no wiggle room in the mind of that member for the possibility that those persons who failed didn't prepare for the test. No room to consider that perhaps it was a fluke or just a coincidence. No room to consider a possibility that lack of preparation was due to a sense of entitlement--the people had been conditioned to expect automatic inclusion by virtue of their race. There are any number of possibilities that could have been in play, and apparently the courts took all of them into consideration. The conclusion was that the test was not discriminatory to exclude a race or races, but was discriminatory to exclude those who did not know the subject matter.

Blatant discrimination should be obvious to everybody and there should be no wiggle room at all.
Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I don't dispute the plaintif's right to sue, only your insistence that they must win.

You need to read up on the case, O'George. Frank Ricci sued for what has commonly come to be known as reverse discrimination--he is white. Plaintiff has won in this case.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

You didn't quibble about blatant?

YES! YES I DID QUIBBLE ABOUT "BLATANT"!

Why should "blatant", inappropriate discrimination be the standard? Shouldn't just "inappropriate discrimination" be the standard?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Will you defend a racist or a bigots right to speak their opinions in public?

That all depends. What are their opinions?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:

Will you defend a racist or a bigots right to speak their opinions in public?

I unequivocally defend the rights of bigots to speak their opinions in public.

I also defend my right to respond; to use their words against them, or against politicians, organizations or advertisers who support them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:45 pm
@DrewDad,
Okay asked and answered in my post just preceding. Who among us is worthy to determine what is appropriate and inappropriate discrimination?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Who among us is worthy to determine what is appropriate and inappropriate discrimination?

Justice Sotomayor.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:54 pm

Jurisdiction is a judicial fraud.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:58 pm
Thought I might correct a misconception that Debra seems to have spread, purely by accident I am sure.

The city of New Haven issued two separate tests, one for captains, taken by 41 firefighters. There were 25 Whites 8 Blacks and 3 Hispanics and 22 passed the test. Passed were 16whites, 3 Blacks and 3 Hispanics for only 7 positions. The second test for lieutenants was taken by 77 firefighters, 43 Whites, 19 Blacks and 15 Hispanics and 34 passed. Passed were 25 whites 6 blacks and 3 Hispanics.

So it seems that minorities did indeed pass the test. The problem is that for some silly reason, the town has a law which forces them to promote the highest scoring candidates. (Personally, if someone were in charge of fighting a fire at my residence or place of employment, I would want the most qualified to be in charge.) The highest scoring were represented by the numbers DebraLaw quoted.

Just wanted to set the record straight.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Who among us is worthy to determine what is appropriate and inappropriate discrimination?

I think ebrown has it right. These kinds of questions are why we have laws and courts. If it weren't a tricky question, it wouldn't have gotten to the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:17 pm
@CoastalRat,
My only (little) quibble with this is the assumption that scoring high on a test makes someone the most qualified.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

The Constitution grants power to Congress to enact laws to remedy discrimination.

Really?
(I wonder what the Founders, who wrote the Constitution, woud have thought of that opinion.)

Where does it say that in the Constitution?
Maybe in the 10th Amendment?

David

CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:51 am
@DrewDad,
Actually, I would agree. I don't believe a test result necessarily points to the best overall qualified person.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:54 am
@CoastalRat,

And I don't believe skin color or ethnicity necessarily points to the best overall qualified person.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:06 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Actually, I would agree. I don't believe a test result necessarily points to the best overall qualified person.

Good point, CoastalRat and DrewDad. Wasn't the test in question a written test? Should firefighters show they have the right physical skills?