Supreme Court decides Ricci Case

ebrown p

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:50 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So now you believe that Pat Buchanon speaks for ALL conservatives?
Or even a large percentage of them?

I choose B. I believe that Pat Buchanan speaks for a large percentage of conservatives.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:52 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Conservatives appear to believe, if a minority takes a slot in a military academy or a university,
then the slot was taken away from a deserving white male by a less deserving minority.

Bull ****!

Only a Latina thinks this way.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:58 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
So now you believe that Pat Buchanon speaks for ALL conservatives?
Or even a large percentage of them?

I choose B. I believe that Pat Buchanan speaks for a large percentage of conservatives.

I agree. I believe the same thing. Of course, mysteryman has a golden opportunity here to disavow any agreement with Buchanan's recent columns concerning the victimology of the white male, the dumbing-down of our institutions via minority admittance programs, and ending our national tolerance for diversity before the whites are overrun by minorities.
JTT

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:00 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Debra Law wrote: Conservatives appear to believe, if a minority takes a slot in a military academy or a university, then the slot was taken away from a deserving white male by a less deserving minority.

Quote:
Bullshit! Only a Latina thinks this way.

Would you be referencing a specific Latina or Latinas in general, h2oman?

After you've answered please explain, in your own words what you're trying to say. Remember this might require you to resort to original ideas, which we all know is new ground for you, but hey, you're heading into high school, so it's probably time.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:06 pm

Jay tee tee, those four long years you spent in 6th grade Spanish didn't pay off.
Buck-up, there's always next year.
JTT

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:12 pm
@H2O MAN,
Spanish doesn't use the article 'a', h2oman.

Take a deep breath, maybe a couple of them, and say very slowly, "I can formulate an original thought." Repeat. And once more.

Good, now try to answer the question and then explain what you meant. You certainly wouldn't want to leave anyone with the impression that you're vacuous.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:18 pm
@JTT,

Jay tee tee, take a deep breath... now blow it out your ass.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:26 pm
@JTT,

Flatulence is your strong suit Jay Tee Tee... let it rip!
JTT

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
It seems that you are hell bent on leaving everyone with an impression, now confirmed, that you are vacuous, h2oman.

You still have the opportunity to explain what you meant, if you actually meant something that is. Perhaps it was just another your reptilian responses from the recesses of your brain.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:11 pm
@JTT,

That didn't take long, I bet you feel better now.

If your pea sized brain will assist you (like that will ever happen),
you may figure out your weakness and deal with it appropriately.
parados

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:15 pm
@H2O MAN,
So, have you stopped looking at your word of the day calender Squirt?

"Appropriately" is more than 2 syllables but it seems like a word even you should know.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:20 pm
@parados,

Not a day goes by that I don't have to deal with a parasite...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:01 am
@parados,
I realize she says there should be more minorities and I agree, what I disagree with is her assumption that having more minorities on the bench would mean we have better laws with respect for minorities. We might and probably would, however, a tolerant white person who is also "wise" can and has made tolerant wise decisions towards minorities in the courts numerous times and also I pointed out Clarence Thomas has came out against minorities with respect to affirmative action of which i left a link a few days ago so that criteria in itself is not a reason to consider confirming a judge. It also points to a certain biasedness on her point towards those of minorities on the bench and their tolerance or fairness towards minorities in the courts.

The following are two excerpts taken from the transcript of her speech of which I have left a link to a couple of times.

Quote:
This weekend's conference, illustrated by its name, is bound to examine issues that I hope will identify the efforts and solutions that will assist our communities. The focus of my speech tonight, however, is not about the struggle to get us where we are and where we need to go but instead to discuss with you what it all will mean to have more women and people of color on the bench. The statistics I have been talking about provide a base from which to discuss a question which one of my former colleagues on the Southern District bench, Judge Miriam Cederbaum, raised when speaking about women on the federal bench. Her question was: What do the history and statistics mean? In her speech, Judge Cederbaum expressed her belief that the number of women and by direct inference people of color on the bench, was still statistically insignificant and that therefore we could not draw valid scientific conclusions from the acts of so few people over such a short period of time. Yet, we do have women and people of color in more significant numbers on the bench and no one can or should ignore pondering what that will mean or not mean in the development of the law.

Quote:
I further accept that our experiences as women and people of color affect our decisions. The aspiration to impartiality is just that--it's an aspiration because it denies the fact that we are by our experiences making different choices than others. Not all women or people of color, in all or some circumstances or indeed in any particular case or circumstance but enough people of color in enough cases, will make a difference in the process of judging. The Minnesota Supreme Court has given an example of this. As reported by Judge Patricia Wald formerly of the D.C. Circuit Court, three women on the Minnesota Court with two men dissenting agreed to grant a protective order against a father's visitation rights when the father abused his child. The Judicature Journal has at least two excellent studies on how women on the courts of appeal and state supreme courts have tended to vote more often than their male counterpart to uphold women's claims in sex discrimination cases and criminal defendants' claims in search and seizure cases. As recognized by legal scholars, whatever the reason, not one woman or person of color in any one position but as a group we will have an effect on the development of the law and on judging.

In our private conversations, Judge Cedarbaum has pointed out to me that seminal decisions in race and sex discrimination cases have come from Supreme Courts composed exclusively of white males. I agree that this is significant but I also choose to emphasize that the people who argued those cases before the Supreme Court which changed the legal landscape ultimately were largely people of color and women. I recall that Justice Thurgood Marshall, Judge Connie Baker Motley, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench, and others of the NAACP argued Brown v. Board of Education. Similarly, Justice Ginsburg, with other women attorneys, was instrumental in advocating and convincing the Court that equality of work required equality in terms and conditions of employment.

Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see.
parados

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:11 am
@revel,
Quote:
I realize she says there should be more minorities and I agree, what I disagree with is her assumption that having more minorities on the bench would mean we have better laws with respect for minorities.
And she says we would have better laws with respect to minorities where? I don't see it anywhere in her words.

Quote:
We might and probably would, however, a tolerant white person who is also "wise" can and has made tolerant wise decisions towards minorities in the courts numerous times
A point that Sotomayor made and you seemed to have missed. White judges did make rulings but women and minorities were lawyers in the case.
Quote:
and also I pointed out Clarence Thomas has came out against minorities with respect to affirmative action of which i left a link a few days ago so that criteria in itself is not a reason to consider confirming a judge.
She never said a wise Latina will always make a better decision. Read her statement again.
Quote:
It also points to a certain biasedness on her point towards those of minorities on the bench and their tolerance or fairness towards minorities in the courts.
How? "I hope a Latina makes a better decision" doesn't indicate what she would decide about. I think you are reading into her statements things that aren't there. She states that everyone is guided by their experiences, something that should be obvious. We all have certain views of what is true. (Some views just don't happen to be based on a logical or factual reality as evidenced by the extremes on this board.)

Quote:
Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see.
Truer words were never spoken. You somehow see her statements as a desire to rule for minorities. I see her words as a desire to have diversity on the court in order to have an advocate that might better understand the issue as it affects a certain segment of the population.

Judging is not just an examination of the law itself. It requires weighing the effect of the law against a person's rights, the constitution, and the purpose of the legislature. Different people will weigh those choices differently. Reasonable debate amongst judges with reasonable differences and life experiences will lead to a better decision than like judges that all have the same life experiences. The only question is "does the judge have a rational basis for their decision?"

So, you are seeing things in her speech that I don't see. Her words certainly don't say it. You are reading an implication that I don't think is there. Does that really make one of us more wise than the other? Or is "wise" not really universal in its definition as Sotomayor so clearly stated?
ABE5177

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 12:09 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Sotomayor embraced affirmative action and later described herself as leading an "attack" on testing and promotional exams that favored whites and limited the opportunities for minorities.

Twenty-five years later, as a high court nominee, she is being criticized for a ruling that threw out a suit by white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., who had earned top scores on a department exam but were passed over for promotion.

Affirmative action is racism pure and simple
Buchanan speaks truth
ABE5177

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 12:34 pm
@ABE5177,
Quote:
Sotomayor's basic résumé is well known. To hear her tell it, she is a product of the "third world" territory of Puerto Rico, raised in public housing projects in the Bronx. She was socially and economically impoverished. She didn't meet admission test requirements at Princeton University and Yale Law School because of "cultural bias" in the testing. But she was accepted at those schools anyway because of affirmative action. Her success has led her to believe ardently in racial quotas.

Quote:
to hear Sotomayor tell it years later, she is "the perfect affirmative action baby." In a videotape of three female judges discussing diversity, made available to the Senate Judiciary Committee, she said, "My test scores were not comparable to that [sic] of my colleagues at Princeton or Yale." She attributed this to "cultural biases built into testing and that was one of the motivations for the concept of affirmative action, to try to balance out those effects."

That's crazy, whag next, bridges designed by affirmativbe acttion engineers?
it gets worse:

Quote:
More recently, the Court ruled in the New Haven firefighters case last month that the city violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by discarding promotional examination results because too many whites passed. Justice Scalia suggested the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional on equal protection grounds, an issue not reached by the majority.
parados

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 05:52 pm
@ABE5177,
Actually affirmative action engineers have built bridges. The issue of how they got into school is NOT a problem. The issue is what they learned and how they apply it. Sotomayor graduated near the top of her class. She excelled.

I would be more than happy to hire an engineer that graduated in the top 10% of his class in a prestigious school. I could care less how he got into that school.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
@parados,
You clearly see what you want to see instead of what is there, I would just as soon to as well believe it or not.

I am not sure the first sentence makes sense in the following but in the second you seem to be saying the same the thing I have been saying all along, just saying it in different words.

Quote:
You somehow see her statements as a desire to rule for minorities. I see her words as a desire to have diversity on the court in order to have an advocate that might better understand the issue as it affects a certain segment of the population.

I too desire to have minorities on the court, but I don't think the status of a person's race should be a factor when considering judges, whatever race that might be; but rather their qualifications. (I have no question but that she is fully qualified) I also think a wise person can emphasize and understand minority issues just as much as a minority judge and they have plenty of times in the past to prove it.

However I do think there is difference in judging when it comes to political or ideological beliefs. Take the difference in Clarence Thomas and Sandra Day O'Conner.
revel

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:07 am
@revel,
After thinking on my post I realized that I made an implication that there is difference between a wise person and a minority person when I don't hold such a view at all. I merely meant I agreed with Sotoymayer and Professor Carter (whoever that is) who said:

Quote:
I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

To paraphrase Dr. Sues, people are people no matter their race or gender. Some are empathetic towards others and some are not.

In any case I have beat this issue to death and I don't believe I am going to come to any agreement or even understanding among those I am seeking to; so I am simply going to agree to disagree. I think if Sotoymayer is confirmed she will make an excellent judge as I didn't hear anything in her hearings to say she would be biased in her judging and perhaps provide a balancing out after the last few conservative leaning judges who have been confirmed.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:33 pm
@revel,
Quote:
I don't believe I am going to come to any agreement or even understanding among those I am seeking to;

Have you considered the possibility that maybe you aren´t understanding?

It seems obvious to me that having a supreme court that is made up completely of men is not going to be as effective as a court that has both men and women. It is not just a matter of letting woman play judge-- quite the contrary. Keeping half the country from serving on the highest court damages the judicial process.

We need women on the Supreme court.

Justice Ginsberg lists several areas where a male-only court would have been less effective-- for example accepting that sexual harassment is a civil rights issue.