98 Harley Lowrider 80cid

ncsteve

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:41 am
Spits and sputters at steady RPM. Idles fine but sputters at any speed while riding a constant speed. Replaced fuel, fuel line, petcock, coil, wires, plugs, and rebuilt the carb. Still have the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 3
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:56 am
@ncsteve,
Been a long time since I had a Harley *I went Beemer) but iff'n I remember right there are three jets on a Kehrin(sp) an idlr, n acceleration and a steady --dthis may be a silly question but did you rejet or check the jets when you rebuilt the carburator.

Rap
ncsteve

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:06 am
@raprap,
Its all stock. I checked the jets to make sure they were standard jets and they were. Closed the idle jet and opened it 2 rounds to get her going for a warm up. Adjusted the idle to 900 rpm and it still spits and sputters trying to hold a steady speed. Any gear, any speed. It goes through the gears fine and idles fine. No backfire when I let off the throttle nor when I give it gas. I am truly stumped!!
raprap

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:51 am
@ncsteve,
Those Hollow bolts that hold the air cleaner to the heads and allow the top end to breath through the carberator aren't obstructed? Had this hsppen to an evo sporty once and it created a horrendouse amount of roughness at idle.

Rap
0 Replies