Laptop with Video In?

Muarck

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:16 pm
I'm looking for a laptop with a Video In port. Does anyone know if this exists? I want to plug in an external video source to it and (sometimes) be able to run it as a screen independently from the laptop processor. Any ideas? Maybe a portable DVD player would be better?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,459 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Muarck
Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:02 am
@Muarck,
Yes it exists, it's called a video capture card. It's rare to get in a laptop but you can get a USB dongle (search for "video capture USB dongle") to do it.

However it won't necessarily run independently of the laptop processor(s) it will pipe a digital signal in and allow you to then use it on the laptop for display, recording etc.

One thing I'd recommend is to consider a TV tuner, which can often do both what you need as well as receive TV signals (and you can use your computer as a DVR). For those look for a laptop with a "TV tuner card" or look for a "TV tuner USB dongle". Just make sure it accepts the input in the format you want (e.g. S-Video etc).
Muarck

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks a lot for the help!
0 Replies