Bud get truck

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:18 am
So, i was sitting on the subway yesterday afternoon, just idly looking around, and i saw a reflection in the window opposite of an ad which was above my head. I learned a long time ago to read both upside down and backwards (you can read letters on someone's desk when you're facing them that way; i also learned to operate an Addressograph/Multigraph, and if that means anything to you, you're showing your age). The quality of the reflection wasn't great, and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but i was able to make out the web address--www.budgettruck. Well, it took me a while to decipher that, because it didn't make sense to me. Bud get truck? Who is Bud and why do we want him to get a truck?

Then the nickel dropped--Budget Truck is an ad for Budget Rent-a-Car's truck rental service. Luckily, no one can overhear our thoughts, so i was an unrecognized fool in that case.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 935 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:57 am
@Setanta,
No I can well say that never happened to me. I don't sit on the subway, it's more enjoyable standing so the saturation you described would not be happening to me. Although I do often read subway signs althoough I am lost on remembering doing it backwards in a reflective image.

As for being an unrecognizable fool, don't underestimate yourself. A perplexed puzzled look on the face followed by a sudden gleam of recognition when figuring some thing out, nearly screams to people: 'Recognizable fool'. Don't sweat on over it though as it could have been worse, you could have been scratching your head while trying to decipher.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 08:59 am
@Setanta,
nothing has ever happened to me, at least not since they added fluoride to the water.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:06 am
Recently, I replied to a member whose avatar was "angelshavewings".

I thought it was "angel shave wings" ....
patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:18 am
As a kid, I had a had-me-down tee-shirt for a place called (as I interpreted, phonetically) Yo's-Mite. We lived very near a big park, which I quite liked, called Yo-Sim-Mitt-Tee.

For a long time when I wore the shirt I felt like a fraud, as I'd never been to Yo's-Mite.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:20 am
@Setanta,
I know I have for sure, it might come to me later. For now, I'll tell you instead about the time I was strolling the streets of Toronto with two women I knew marginally, when I caught a glimpse of a billboard.

"Super-fluous," I read aloud, pointing (why? I don't remember).

Heard it...read it...said it, even, a thousand times. I have no idea why I didn't recognize it that moment.

Alas, I wouldn't say that I was an unrecognized fool.
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:26 am
On another board I go to, there's a member called mommascrew.

Yeah I thought it was the maternal version of, er, you know, too. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:30 am
Jespah wrote:
On another board I go to, there's a member called mommascrew.

Naughty Jespah! Mr. Green
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:09 am
This is a rather infamous effect in Internet domain naming:

Quote:
Care should always be exercised when registering a domain name: DNS is case-insensitive and the modern trend of words run together with intercapping can be misinterpreted when converted to lowercase. Who Represents, a database of artists and agents, chose http://www.whorepresents.com; Experts Exchange, the programmers' site, famously had http://www.expertsexchange.com; Pen Island unwisely chose http://www.penisland.net; a therapists' network thought http://www.therapistfinder.com looked good and of course the Italian power company PowerGen Italia became http://www.powergenitalia.com.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
@Setanta,
Yup, this has happened to me lots of times, but, due to senior moments, I can't recall the details of said events.

I can relate a funny incident that my oldest daughter said many years back.

The family had been listening to the radio and there was some commentary about euthanasia and she said, "Why are they talking about the youth in Asia that way?"

Of course mom and dad broke into tears of laughter. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:18 am
@Francis,
I hadn't thought about avatar names, but that is exactly the problem which arises from web addresses, with the words run all together.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:20 am
Good ones folks, i hope we get more . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:24 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Has anything like this ever happened to you?

Has anything like what ever happened to me?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:35 am
wally has an old thermal coffee cup he got from some convenience store eons ago.

every time I looked at it, I would wonder what the significance of the word on it meant.

Finnally, after a number of years, I asked him "Baby, what a cop-ilot?"

Neutral

The place I go to for yoga is called Yoga Yoga. When I enter the website address, typing yogayoga it always reads in my mind "yo, gay oga"

well I've never done straight oga, so I don't know if I'd like gay oga or not.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
Driving along the road with my first wife and her mama, mama says to wife, "What is die-sel?"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:05 pm
@Joeblow,
Ok, that made me laugh so hard it started to hurt.
0 Replies