Anti-Immigrant jerks harass grieving family of crash victim

Advocate

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm
The topic involves illegal immigrants, and I was making a general statement about their effect on this country. If you bothered to read what I said, you actually learn something.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:23 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
The topic involves illegal immigrants, and I was making a general statement about their effect on this country

Illegal immigrants serve their purpose. They are an easily exploitable group used for cheap labor, and to help keep the rest of labor from getting all uppity and demanding good pay and/or working conditions.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:26 pm
@Advocate,
How does this topic involve illegal immigrants? These were hateful people harassing a grieving family because they have a Hispanic surname.

What does bigotry have to do with illegal immigration?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:36 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
How does this topic involve illegal immigrants? These were hateful people harassing a grieving family because they have a Hispanic surname.

the reports are that the caller or callers (we don't know) presumably hold the opinion that illegals should not be allowed to profit from their illegal activity. This idea that crime should not pay is a long standing principle of American Law, is rooted in the concept of justice, and has nothing to do with hatefulness or bigotry.

We have gotten to the day when the desire for justice can be derided and driven underground. It is sad.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
OK Hawkeye... let's try this again.

There are no illegal immigrants in the story. There are no illegal immigrants in the story. There are no illegal immigrants in the story.

The only reason this family was targeted was their Hispanic surname.

There are no illegal immigrants in the story.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
OK Hawkeye... let's try this again.

There are no illegal immigrants in the story. There are no illegal immigrants in the story. There are no illegal immigrants in the story.

If you see a possible violation of justice not only do you have the right to enquire further but you have the duty to do so. If it turns out that no crime has been committed great, but don't tar and feather the one who desires justice enough that they don't ignore possible crimes. Good citizens should not be called bad names.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
So your point is that anyone with a Hispanic surname should be suspect? And that the grieving family who has to endure these calls after the death of their mother or sister should understand?

Well then, at least this "has nothing to do with hatefulness or bigotry. "
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 02:07 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
So your point is that anyone with a Hispanic surname should be suspect? And that the grieving family who has to endure these calls after the death of their mother or sister should understand?

I am undecided about profiling. If it is true that something like 1 in 5 adults of apparent mexican linage are illegal, do we have the right to check them out? We don't have a national ID card because we can't make up our minds on this. This would make a good a2k thread topic.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, you have neither the duty nor the right to harass everyone who seems to have some sort of hispanic background.
engineer

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

If you see a possible violation of justice not only do you have the right to enquire further but you have the duty to do so. If it turns out that no crime has been committed great, but don't tar and feather the one who desires justice enough that they don't ignore possible crimes. Good citizens should not be called bad names.

But shouldn't you have reasonable cause before you can declare a "possible violation of justice?" If one if five Hispanics is illegal in the US, is that sufficient evidence to assume all Hispanics are potentially guilty of a crime? If you go around assuming everyone of a certain color or background is guilty of a crime and "inquiring further" you're not a "good citizen."
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:33 pm
@roger,
in this case we have an inquiry into the legal status of someone who died, and who's family is in line to collect a boat load of money as consideration. Neither that, nor the stating of the opinion that if the dead woman was illegal then no payments should be made strike me as harassment. To me this is an exercise in free speech.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, it's an exercise in free speech, is it? Then I've been trying to deny you your civil liberties. Wow! Now, I feel all defensive and guilty.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:46 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
But shouldn't you have reasonable cause before you can declare a "possible violation of justice?" If one if five Hispanics is illegal in the US, is that sufficient evidence to assume all Hispanics are potentially guilty of a crime?

given the presumption of innocence as well as the concept of privacy....possibly. On the other hand I don't think that constitutional protections should apply to non Americans. I think that one could and should be made to document that they are an American before they gain Constitutional rights. Identity papers and private individual inquires into the nationality of the person they are dealing with should be allowed I think.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:18 pm
If you believe 1 article, what about the ones that say something different?

"Still, like others in the close-knit family, she said she was trying to console herself by remembering all that the vivacious 40-year-old mother of six had managed to achieve. Raised in a mud hut and able to study only through middle school, Ana Fernandez had sneaked into the United States illegally at 19 in hopes of finding better-paying work."

"Several years ago, Fernandez became a legal permanent resident....."

....and site the source? Look it up.
0 Replies