Colon Polyp

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:04 pm
I was diagnosed ith a colon polyp approximatly 2.5 cm in diameter. The GI doctor did a biopsy via colonscope and results revealed a benign mass. I was refereed to a surgeon and he explained to me that he would have to remove 8 to 12 inches of my large intestine just in case the part of the polyp that was not biopsied is cancerous. Is it really necessary to remove my entire ascending colon just because the backside of the polyp might be cancerous eventhough the original biopsy done with colonscope came back negative for cancer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,186 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm
@vel11356,
None of here that I know of can begin to answer your question.
First of all, talk more with your md.
Then, look online at various medical sites having to do with colon cancer (which, I know, you haven't been diagnosed with), colon surgery, choices re colon surgery - there is a lot out there re surgery, but me, I'd look at some respected sites like Mayo Clinic and Sloan Kettering.

I understand your questioning and would have the same question. I'd think about getting a second and even third opinion to clarify what to do, but have those opinions be from really good sources.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:35 pm
@vel11356,
That sounds sufficiently, I would definately get a second from a different GI, or whatever the speciality is called now.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 10:17 pm
@vel11356,
I dunno, vel. Usually a polyp discovered during a colonoscopy will be removed right there and then without the need for invasive surgery. It's done by the same instrument that's already been shoved up your colon and is "seeing" what's in there. Then, after removal, if the biopsy shows the mass to be benign (i.e. non-cancerous), I don't know why further surgery would be required. Another colonoscopy might be scheduled, yes, to monitor any recurrence of the polyps, but invasive surgery seems like overkill. I'd suggest getting a second opinion.

(I know all this because I'm a cancer survivor who had something consideriably larger than a polyp removed from my colon about 15 years ago. I've had three colonoscopies since then and each time been clean as a whistle.)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:27 am
2.5cm is an inch (1") . That's way too big to be removed during colonoscopy.

Get a second opinion by all means - but my guess is that it has to come out - the risks of it turning cancerous are high
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:32 am
Get ANOTHER opinion - but do NOT fool around with this!

This may be in the wall of the intestine, hence, the reason why they want to get that section out.

We just lost a love one to colon cancer - a fast growing, aggressive type, that by the time it was found (golf ball size tumor in sigmoid area) it had spread to the liver and lymph glands. (Clean colnonscopy just 2 years before)

You need to find out the cell make-up of this and its exact location. Many people live long and happy lives with no colon, so make your choices wisely.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:31 am
Yeah, Margo's right, of course. I hadn't considered the size of the polyp. Went right by me as I was reading your post.
0 Replies