ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:57 pm
@ebrown p,

Liberals should do something instead of whining all of the time.

Obama claiming that today's problems are all inherited from Bush is not helping anyone.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

Liberals should do something instead of whining all of the time.

We got Obama elected. Are you saying we should do more?

((actually I agree with you))
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:08 pm
@ebrown p,

Obama claiming that today's problems are all inherited from Bush is a waste of time and energy.
Time and energy that could be put to good use. Obama is stuck in campaign mode, he needs to shake this and get busy.
BillRM

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
Hmm the pot calling the kettle black as if memory serve me correctly for years Bush supporters blamed everything wrong on Clinton.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:36 pm
@BillRM,

Bush and Clinton are history... Obama promised that he would look forward - not backward.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:58 pm
@Yankee,
ABC News, unlike the Rush Limbaugh show, professes to be an unbiased source of news for the American people --- all of them, not just Obama supporters.

I don't think ABC should be required to provide time to Republican politicians, but I would expect that their journalistic professionalism will require them to provide a balance view of the issue. If they can do this without providing air time to Republican politicians that's fine with me, in fact its preferable.

This will be test of ABC's journalistic integrity. If their coverage is one long endorsement of the plan; intended to help sell it to the American people, they will forfeit any legitimacy as a "news organization."

We'll see.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 11:18 pm
Why should we listen to a republican. We already know if a democrat proposes something the republicans are against it. No big deal.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:20 am
It's pretty goddamned hilarious to see someone complaining about liberals whining in a thread which is an extended whine by conservatives. And they are whining about a lack of the application of a fairness dodctrine, which they torpedoed. Ah well, they've done nothing but whine since the election, so, no surprises here.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:27 am
@Setanta,

I hear you liberals whining all the time and what's FAIR about the fairness doctrine?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:21 am
@rabel22,
Quote:
Why should we listen to a republican.

Well, it might help you form your own opinion by considering both sides of an issue.

In any case, as I indicated, I would prefer that any expression of the opposing view of Obama's plan not be delivered by Republican politicians. Unfortunately there are quite a number of people, like, you who assume that Republican politicians only oppose something because it was proposed by Democratic politicians.

I'm not sure that you will ever change your attitude in this regard, but if the Republican party is to regain a level of relevance in American politics such that they can actually shape policy, they will need to alter this attitude among a fairly large segment of the population.

There is no shortage of people who are not Republican politicians but who can articualte the reasons to oppose the President's plan. ABC will have no problem finding them if they wish to. In fact they have one on their staff - John Stossel.
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 12:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I like Stossel's myth buster stuff:
Stossel
Quote:
"What costs more," I asked customers at a gas station, "gasoline or bottled water?" The answer I got from almost everyone was gasoline. At that very gas station, water was for sale at $1.29 for a twenty-four-ounce bottle. That's $6.88 per gallon, three times what the station charged for gasoline. It gets sillier. I asked gas station customers, "What costs more, gasoline or ice cream?" Again, most people said gasoline cost more. But at $3.39 a pint, "premium" ice cream costs about $27.00 a gallon.

when you subtract 46 cents of taxes, $2.20 a gallon seems cheap, especially taking account inflation.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 04:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
...s an extended whine by conservatives.... Ah well, they've done nothing but whine since the election, so, no surprises here.

that's all they did when their gang ran everything. nobody is ever good enough, conservative enough or moral enough for 'em. there is no pleasing them. and i've ceased trying.

not to mention that they've done a great disservice to the republican party. nothing left but warmongering chicken hawks, fundamental religious extremists and greedy shills for big business. and rush limbaugh, who apparently can't stop himself from being a total wanker.

and i find it hysterical that fox news, OF ALL PEOPLE, is complaining about another network having "unprecedented access" to the white house. the right wing propagandists at fox have yet to figure out that they can't just talk some **** and get away with it anymore. there's entirely too much video available to the average joe; on demand.

those guys have the balls of a brass monkey. and the brains of one too.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's pretty goddamned hilarious to see someone complaining about liberals whining in a thread which is an extended whine by conservatives. And they are whining about a lack of the application of a fairness dodctrine, which they torpedoed. Ah well, they've done nothing but whine since the election, so, no surprises here.

This is the entire essence of the RNC complaint. The RNC hypocrites strenuously oppose the "fairness doctrine" as a violation of free speech. They were successful in getting the doctrine abolished. Yet the RNC insists on applying the abolished doctrine to ABC's future coverage of the proposed health care plan in a special entitled, "Prescription for America." In other words, the RNC wants to take control of ABC programming via hypcritical maneuvering and whining.

Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, etc., are the shameless propanda mouthpieces of the extreme right republican/conservative movement. If the RNC desires to pay Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc., to run "glorified infomercials" 24/7 espousing the alleged virtues of its party principles, then the RNC is free to do so. But hypocritical RNC is on shaky ground tantamount to an earthquake when it insists that the Democrat party should pay ABC for a television special that ABC is producing and airing on the ABC network. If Fox News and Rush Limbaugh have the right of free speech unfettered by the abolished fairness doctrine, then so does ABC.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:16 pm
@Debra Law,
First Rush Limbaugh is the leader of the conservative movement as it stands today, and then he's demoted to a shameless mouthpiece. I wish you guys would make up your minds on just what variety of monster he is.

I watch FOX regularly (What a surprise right?) and I don't recall their devoting the sort of time to one of Bush's policy initiatives the way ABC is devoting to Obama's healthcare plan. Maybe you know of one?

Some of you folks are so caught up in a tit for tat battle that you seem to be missing the point.

Obviously ABC has the right to air just about any programming they desire, and certainly that would include an infomercial for Obama's healthcare plan, but if you detest FOX for being a "shameless propaganda mouthpiece of the extreme right republican/conservative movement," I wonder why it doesn't concern you that ABC may be following suit and becoming a mouthpiece for the left?

Is it really as simple as you're supporting the policy they're hawking?

ABC promises to air both sides of the issue, but if that means only allowing questions/comments, during the Town Hall segment, from average Joes who oppose the plan, I'll have to consider them shameless.

Again, allowing Republican politicians the opportunity to criticize the plan is not required, merely presenting all sides of the issue in roughly equal detail and seriousness.

They're not required to do even that...unless of course they want to continue to consider themselves a News organization with journalistic integrity.

Arguing about FOX, Limbaugh et al is irrelevant. They are not part of this broadcast, and even if we accept FOX is a media whore for the Right, (which I do not) are you suggesting the Left deserves their own prostitute?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I watch FOX regularly (What a surprise right?) and I don't recall their devoting the sort of time to one of Bush's policy initiatives the way ABC is devoting to Obama's healthcare plan. Maybe you know of one?

ever heard of the Iraq War?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:23 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,

FOX is the only network that is not biased one way or the other.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:02 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Quote:

I should have seen that one coming.

Did you watch the FOX News coverage of the war?

I would agree that to some extent it was more of cheerleader for the troops then the other networks, but I don't have a problem with that.

They reported all of the setbacks and scandals any other network reported, but they may have reported more of the successes --- again I don't have a problem with that.

The News programs "Special Report" and "Fox News Sunday," spent plenty of time interviewing critics of the war as well as supporters.

It's a mistake to lump the News programs with the Opinion programs like O"Reilley's or Hannity's. Neither of them every anchored a news program the way Keith Olbermann did on MSNBC.

In any case, the thread isn't about FOX news. Let's stipulate, for the sake of argument, that FOX is a shill for the Right. Do you want to see ABC operate as a shill for the Left?

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Let's stipulate, for the sake of argument, that FOX is a shill for the Right. Do you want to see ABC operate as a shill for the Left?

FOX only appears to be a shill for the right because all of the other networks are shilling for the left.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:37 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Rupert Murdoch admitted that his global news organization supported Bush's policies in the middle east.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9HpuZm6-g
Yankee

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:11 am
@Debra Law,
Supporting polices is not the same as devoting programming time to a single issue without providing similar time for any rebuttal.

Just like FOX, why should anyone expect ABC to be objective in their reporting?