Rape Resistance Stats

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 02:47 pm
http://tslrf.blogspot.com/2009/06/some-very-interesting-statistics-on.html

Quote:
Bryce sent me this great link to a very interesting study on women defending themselves from rape and the success rates of these methods. Huge hat tip to him as this is awesome. For those on dial up I will sum it up.

Women who used non violent methods of resistance (crying, pleading, etc) were raped about 96% of the time.

Women who used forceful verbal resistance (yelling, screaming) were raped about half the time.

Running works better then yelling as the women who ran were raped about 15% of the time.

Forceful physical resistance is slightly more successful than running. Those women were raped 14% of the time. Striking was more successful than pushing or wrestling.

Finally women who resisted using a knife or a gun were raped less than 1% of the time. I really think that figure speaks for itself. [editor notes the study did not talk about batons, mace, tazers, stun guns, etc. I would wager batons are about the same as guns/ knives and the other miscellaneous weapons would be between the forceful resistance and guns n knives categories.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,065 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:32 pm
@gungasnake,
Question: Of those that resisted rape, how many of those were killed?

Dangerous no matter how you look at this. Taking an excellent (long term) self-defense class is wise as is knowing how to use and carry a weapon.
0 Replies