Plato, Aristotle and A2k

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You're giving me a headache Walter . . .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:13 am
@Setanta,
The great philopharmer Aspirinopolous has some remedy ...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:49 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
dys, Aristotle was a brilliant, and clear thinker, Plato, not so much, and as clear as mud, Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics, and Politics are monuments of intellectual thought.

I'm with kuvasz. When I read Aristotle (quite a long time ago), I thought he
was eminently reasonable.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:26 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you Dys, but we can't all be disciples of Paul Feyerabend and Will Rogers like you are. You'll just have to settle for mere Socrates.

Nobody SETTLES for Socrates.

Socrates is my hero.

Hottest man in 30 millenia.

And I don't give a damn what the Athenian conservatives said.....Alcibiades would have been worserer without him.

So there.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:35 pm
@dlowan,
I'll be bald and say I only heard about philosophers and took logic and theology in beginning college, and got a D in Theology, and A in Logic, and that was all. Which is to say I'm a foo re dadpad's grouping, never mind dys' question.

Cannot banter about philosophy, and am occasionally interested in it and many times dismissive, which depends on whatever sentences I hear.

But I've known dys for a while and he read these guys early, much earlier than most of us.

So, I'd like to hear Dys' take on P & A & S.

On me, what did I say in that theology blue book? I didn't have time to go chase the Brother.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:42 pm
@dlowan,
Glad to see your spirits come back. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:49 pm
@Thomas,
Meantime, dys has a strong point of view on these folks and I'd like to hear it, besides that they aren't reasonable, really. Hard to explicate from years of understanding - which I understand.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:51 pm
@dlowan,
I tend to kinda like the old hemlock guy myself, not just to be 'long side the upside down bun...

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 12:40 am
@George,
Quote:
When I read Aristotle (quite a long time ago), I thought he
was eminently reasonable.

Reasonable, perhaps. But also somewhat clownishly obvious. I mean, take his Aeasthetics. A proper story must have a begining, a middle and an end. Well, du-uh. The tragic hero must have a tragic fault. No joke. Aristotle belabors the obvious. He was probably exactly what a spoiled brat like Prince Alexander of Macedon needed in a tutor. Doubt if the future conqueror of the then known world could have understood anything more complex.
George

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:48 am
@Merry Andrew,
Well yes, I'll grant you that about his hard-and-fast rules in this area.

However, I have taught English and I assure you the obvious often needs
more than a little belaboring.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:00 am
Anyone who has the patience to attempt to teach the English anything has my respect.
George

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:21 am
@Setanta,
Actually, I was foolhardy enough to attempt to teach Louisianans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:33 am
Goodbye, George
Me gotta go
Me oh my oh . . .
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:51 am
@Merry Andrew,
ma said
Quote:
Reasonable, perhaps. But also somewhat clownishly obvious. I mean, take his Aeasthetics. A proper story must have a begining, a middle and an end. Well, du-uh. The tragic hero must have a tragic fault. No joke. Aristotle belabors the obvious. He was probably exactly what a spoiled brat like Prince Alexander of Macedon needed in a tutor. Doubt if the future conqueror of the then known world could have understood anything more complex.

aristotle hardly had anyone else to read, unlike you. you consider his writing "obvious" because he actually shaped the world you live in. you might as well call les paul obvious because you've heard jimi hendrix.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:46 am
@Setanta,
i cant lie, i was fascinated with all three of them before i was in the 5th grade.. i think the word is jaded.. yeah , idgaf about stuff like that anymore.

its too bad noone ever gave a **** about me growing up, i might have turned into something better. now all i care about isnt related to reading or learning anymore, before i used to read for easily 12 hours a day. now all i want to do is smoke weed.
:/
it reminds me of a fighter pilot ejecting before his plane flys smack into a rock.

i didnt die, but i damn well aint flying 900 miles an hour anymore.

Sad
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:46 am
@OGIONIK,
ant wait for college tho! wow wow woowowowowowoowowowow

the end of july im officially 24 !

this means,

im going,

to college.

**** everone and everything.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:48 am
@OGIONIK,
holy **** holy ****! this is insane..

i keep just anticipating a roadblock, one that as usual isnt in my power to deal with..

sorta strange, i bet there arent anymore problems, well not like before.. anyway., maybe this is like a ritual of passage, and now things will go good? yeah. ill stick to that!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:29 pm
I never studied philolphy until Dys had me read a few, famous, books.

My favorite is Camus followed closely byYogi Berra.

Sorry cowboy, I hate embarrassing you.
0 Replies