Minuteman Leader murders 9 year old girl.

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
High Seas-Please don't be too hard on the boy. He's just a stripling!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
High Seas-Please don't be too hard on the boy. He's just a stripling!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing You think High Seas is anti-immigrant? Obiously you never heard her accent.
genoves

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:13 pm
@Thomas,
I am sure she is not. Have you seen the pictures of Cyclops' bride to be, Thomas? She is beautiful!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:17 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

A 9 year old girl was shot, and killed, late at night in her own house. The armed Minutemen, who had broken into her house, had no reason or right to be there.

Whether any of the victims was a drug dealer is completely irrelevant.

These people are home invaders and dangerous extremists.

First of all, no group can be judged by its worst outlying points. I'm sure some people in your political camp have committed murder at some point in history. Secondly, it isn't even the real Minutemen, but another small group of people who took a similar name.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

First of all, no group can be judged by its worst outlying points.

More irony from the anti-immigrant side.

((I only wish it were true))
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:14 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

First of all, no group can be judged by its worst outlying points.

More irony from the anti-immigrant side.

((I only wish it were true))

Then you allege that it is fair to judge a political persuasion by the acts of it's worst advocates? So, then, according to you, it's fair if I find someone with roughly your political positions who's done terrible things and use it to discredit everything you believe? And, by the way, as you've been told here many times, it's anti illegal immigrant, not anti-immigrant.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:24 am

If a group can be judged by the acts of its worst members,
then all illegal aliens can be condemned for the crimes of any of them.

`
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If a group can be judged by the acts of its worst practitioners,
then all illegal aliens can be condemned for the crimes of any of them.
`

Yes, by his (obviously wrong) logic, that would be true.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:57 am
I have met illegal immigrants. I have met anti-immigrant extremists-- not only the idiots yelling slogans at rallies... but also a co-worker.

The illegal immigrants I know are decent hard working people who I am happy to have in my house. The anti-immigrant people I have met are loud and ignorant and barely tolerable even in a business setting.

Sure, not a big enough sample to be scientifically valid. But read the comments under any random article about immigration (or any web-based discussion) and you will find comments which do nothing to challenge my view.

Minutemen are loud, obnoxious and hate-filled-- and that includes the ones who haven't murdered any 9 year old girls.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:07 am

Aliens have no right to break into America.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:08 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I have met illegal immigrants. I have met anti-immigrant extremists-- not only the idiots yelling slogans at rallies... but also a co-worker.

The illegal immigrants I know are decent hard working people who I am happy to have in my house. The anti-immigrant people I have met are loud and ignorant and barely tolerable even in a business setting.

Sure, not a big enough sample to be scientifically valid. But read the comments under any random article about immigration (or any web-based discussion) and you will find comments which do nothing to challenge my view.

Minutemen are loud, obnoxious and hate-filled-- and that includes the ones who haven't murdered any 9 year old girls.

Two things:

1. You appear to be defending the idea that if you show the bad traits of the worst person in the group, you have discredited the group, and when I disputed this, you impled I was wrong. Stop being coy; do you or don't you believe this?
2. Your position seems to be that most people who disagree with you on the topic of illegal immigration are unworthy, hate filled, and hateful people? Something like that? If the whole group isn't bad, it's so close the difference isn't worth mentioning. Is that about it?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:10 am

We shoud defend our borders much more aggressively.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:15 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:

I see, not following the law is fine so long as one is nice about it. My, arn't you an advanced form of human!
parados

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
So.. I suppose you have broken the law hawkeye. That speeding ticket perhaps?

I think ebrown has it correct. Breaking the law doesn't disqualify someone from being nice nor does it mean you should avoid them at all times.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:49 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I think ebrown has it correct. Breaking the law doesn't disqualify someone from being nice nor does it mean you should avoid them at all times

is the politeness of an individual relevant to their behaviour vis-a-vis abiding by the law? I argue no, that the impoliteness of the individuals that Brown has experienced is not material to the question. It explains his emotion condition, which is again not relevant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 04:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest wrote:
Romanticized notions of overthrowing our government are misplaced. In the Bush years, I saw plenty of people speak out against him, but overall I felt that the call was to civil service; get involved; write letters; go vote. What I'm witnessing post Obama election is lots of fires being fueled.

You haven't really answered my questions:

If Bush had been assassinated, would you have placed any responsibility on those who attacked him or criticized him with extreme rhetoric?

Did you attend any of the Tea Parties?

While I have no doubt there were a few cretins at some of the Tea Parties who tried to use them as a platform for their extreme ideology or simple hatred, they were hardly the rule, and certainly not the intent of the organizers.

My wife attended the Tea Party held in our town and I can assure you she is not a would-be revolutionary, and had no desire to attend an event designed to promote the overthrow of the government. And she didn't.

The Tea Parties were a call to political action not revolution, and it would be quite disingenuous to argue differently simply because they adopted their label from an historical event associated with the American Revolution.

I would argue that romanticized notions of revolution are far more the ideological fare of the left than the right, but at the very least, they exist at both ends of the spectrum in equal measure.

I would also argue that the vast majority of people who criticized President Bush, even those who approached hysteria with their hyperbole, were not hoping to incite violence and would not have been pleased if assassination attempts were the result --- more importantly, I would not have attempted to place blame with them if some madman, listening to their rhetoric, decided that millions of liberals would consider him a hero for murdering the president.

Equating Bush with Hitler and calling him a tyrant was ridiculous and ugly hyperbole as was calling Obama a terrorist or some sort of Islamist sleeper agent. This sort of criticism simply reveals the ignorance, immaturity and shallow thinking of those who employ it. It's dangerous in the sense that such rhetoric is a danger to reasoned and productive public dialogue.

To a large extent, blaming public figures with strong opinions for the acts of madmen and criminals is simply an extension of the effort to demonize those who have an opposing world view.

Perhaps unintentionally, but ebrown has made it clear that he sees how political advantage can be gained from these instances of violence and mayhem.

Quote:
Who in the GOP is the voice for working with the democrats? Who in the conservative media? If they exist, where is their support? Who are their attackers

Who among the Democrats were voices for working with Republicans when they controlled congress and the White House? Who in the liberal media?
If they did exist, how much support did they receive? Joe Lieberman experienced the price for "working with" the Republicans, and his attackers among the left were legion.

We can debate whether or not the opposition party should work with the party in power or if they should attempt to operate as a set of governmental brakes, but irrespective of that discussion, refusal to work with the party in power is not, even remotely, a causative factor of the extreme actions of a few.

Typically, supporters of the party in power call for the opposition to work with the politicians for whom they voted. What they really want is for the opposition to not oppose any of the policies and actions of their chosen party. This applies to both Democrats and Republicans.

Typically, as well, the parties in power make full use of the parliamentary advantages available to the majority, and seek to work with the opposition only when they can't rely on the unanimity of their caucus.

So far, the extent of President Obama's reaching across the aisle has been appointing a few Republicans to positions within his administration. This is not something to dismiss, but his campaign promises of working together were never going to be realized, whether or not they were sincere.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 04:26 pm
@genoves,
genoves - please stop the multiple postings
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:03 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
You are wrong about that Finn. The First Amendment is not the problem...

I never asserted it was the problem.

It’s a solution to people like you who want to outlaw or punish speech with which you disagree.

If I thought you or anyone else would use censorship to put a stop only to the speech that actually calls for criminal action, I might be more sympathetic to your argument, but we know that would not be the case, or at least we know that you and others would use a very expansive definition to identify the offending language.

"Invader," and "baby-killer" for example.

Quote:
...it is the solution.

It is indeed, but not in the manner which you are promoting

Quote:
The solution is to make individuals and groups who tolerate hate speech pay-- politically and socially.

I'm not sure where to begin.

First of all, this is not a solution to the problem of isolated madmen and criminals taking violent action on extreme beliefs.

It isn't even a solution to the "hate speech" you believe gives rise to acts of violence and mayhem, as you are aiming at those people and groups who "tolerate" it; not those voicing it.

What falls under the heading of "tolerate?"

Presumably it is something along the lines of failing to take action to stop it, or failing to reject it.

Did all of the Pro-Life organizations that condemned the murder of George Tiller qualify as groups that do not "tolerate" such things?

This sounds like you are going to target people and groups who do not stop the sort of speech that you recognize can't be stopped because of the First Amendment.

And if it's "hate speech" that they need to show they don't "tolerate," what is the working definition of "hate speech?"

Is it anything like asserting all Republicans are Racists?

Is it anything like calling Terry Randall a terrorist?

What are acceptable tactics to punish those who, in your estimation, tolerate hate speech?

Publishing their home addresses, the names of their family members, and where their kids go to school on the internet?

Quote:
The solution is to publicize and condemn the hate speech coming from FAIR, and CIS and the Tancredos of the world. and this is exactly what we are doing.

And this is precisely what you should be doing instead of trying to tar all those who want to see increased control of illegal immigration as "anti-immigrants;" deliberately trying to implicate the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps in the crimes of three members of a fringe group, and trying to keep Pro-Life groups "back on their heels;" trying to disassociate themselves with the murderer of an abortion doctor.

But you too have the right to free speech and can exercise that right as you see fit.

I'm always suspect of people and groups who insist that it is fair game to use the very tactics they condemn, because they are using them for a righteous cause.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Diest wrote:
Romanticized notions of overthrowing our government are misplaced. In the Bush years, I saw plenty of people speak out against him, but overall I felt that the call was to civil service; get involved; write letters; go vote. What I'm witnessing post Obama election is lots of fires being fueled.

You haven't really answered my questions:

If Bush had been assassinated, would you have placed any responsibility on those who attacked him or criticized him with extreme rhetoric?

Yes.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Did you attend any of the Tea Parties?

No.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

While I have no doubt there were a few cretins at some of the Tea Parties who tried to use them as a platform for their extreme ideology or simple hatred, they were hardly the rule, and certainly not the intent of the organizers.

The point is that those extreme fringe minorities were able to leverage the tea parties as a sign of support for their ideas.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

My wife attended the Tea Party held in our town and I can assure you she is not a would-be revolutionary, and had no desire to attend an event designed to promote the overthrow of the government. And she didn't.

The Tea Parties were a call to political action not revolution, and it would be quite disingenuous to argue differently simply because they adopted their label from an historical event associated with the American Revolution.

Yes. I understand the symbolism, and perhaps that's what was most offensive. The colonists actually didn't have a voice. Those at the teat parties did, and to posture as anything but spits in the face of our history.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I would argue that romanticized notions of revolution are far more the ideological fare of the left than the right, but at the very least, they exist at both ends of the spectrum in equal measure.

Argue it then. I never said that those ideas don't exist on the left as well, but they aren't being given some platform to exploit.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I would also argue that the vast majority of people who criticized President Bush, even those who approached hysteria with their hyperbole, were not hoping to incite violence and would not have been pleased if assassination attempts were the result --- more importantly, I would not have attempted to place blame with them if some madman, listening to their rhetoric, decided that millions of liberals would consider him a hero for murdering the president.

I don't believe this is true. I think that had President Bush been killed, the nation's liberals would not have cheered. I don't think people are so petty. He's still a person.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Equating Bush with Hitler and calling him a tyrant was ridiculous and ugly hyperbole as was calling Obama a terrorist or some sort of Islamist sleeper agent. This sort of criticism simply reveals the ignorance, immaturity and shallow thinking of those who employ it. It's dangerous in the sense that such rhetoric is a danger to reasoned and productive public dialogue.

I never called Bush any of those things, however Bush was being compared because of his actions, while Obama is accused because of his name and ethnicity. There is a huge difference.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

To a large extent, blaming public figures with strong opinions for the acts of madmen and criminals is simply an extension of the effort to demonize those who have an opposing world view.

Correct.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Perhaps unintentionally, but ebrown has made it clear that he sees how political advantage can be gained from these instances of violence and mayhem.

But maybe the point you're missing is that even if ebrown didn't, those individuals think their violent acts have some sort of advantage.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
Who in the GOP is the voice for working with the democrats? Who in the conservative media? If they exist, where is their support? Who are their attackers

Who among the Democrats were voices for working with Republicans when they controlled congress and the White House? Who in the liberal media?
If they did exist, how much support did they receive? Joe Lieberman experienced the price for "working with" the Republicans, and his attackers among the left were legion.

Answer me first.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

We can debate whether or not the opposition party should work with the party in power or if they should attempt to operate as a set of governmental brakes, but irrespective of that discussion, refusal to work with the party in power is not, even remotely, a causative factor of the extreme actions of a few.

What's to debate?
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Typically, supporters of the party in power call for the opposition to work with the politicians for whom they voted. What they really want is for the opposition to not oppose any of the policies and actions of their chosen party. This applies to both Democrats and Republicans.

So let the rational argument to not work together be voiced then.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Typically, as well, the parties in power make full use of the parliamentary advantages available to the majority, and seek to work with the opposition only when they can't rely on the unanimity of their caucus.

Correct.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So far, the extent of President Obama's reaching across the aisle has been appointing a few Republicans to positions within his administration. This is not something to dismiss, but his campaign promises of working together were never going to be realized, whether or not they were sincere.

I think you should look harder.

T
K
O

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:59:48