Is there a major moral decision in Gran Torino? Urgent

aperson

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:34 pm
For my English assignment. It would be great if someone could answer before I watch the whole thing and waste a lot of time.

Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:35 pm
@aperson,
it's a good movie.

go waste your time...

(good music, too)

and the answer is yes...

(gimme my ribbon) Very Happy Wink
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:40 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLc43YuuTw

seriously.

Eastwood directed it, I think it will speak to you, grasshopper...

Wink
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 12:56 am
Cheers Rockhead [hands ribbon]. Very Happy
KiwiChic

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:39 am
@aperson,
Not a Clint Eastwood fan at all.....but GREAT movie watch it!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:24 am
It is the prototypical Old Farts movie, I enjoyed it because it used a plot and characters to tell a story, not an overabundance of CGI helicopters and Tannerite/gasoline explosions.

I think the message was "never bring an index finger to a gunfight"
KiwiChic

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 04:18 am
@farmerman,
.....or quit smoking
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 07:40 am
I thought the moral of the movie was that Poles are smarter than many people give them credit for.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 09:33 am
@Foofie,
polaks, not Poles. Pole is now an ethnic slur
Foofie

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 07:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

polaks, not Poles. Pole is now an ethnic slur

Polish.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 09:33 pm
@aperson,
Just watched it last night.

Excellent film and one that you will probably enjoy - or at least not find boring.

The major moral decision is pretty obvious so you're not going to have to think too hard. You'll probably even the recognize the fairly obvious allusion at the end of the big scene...you might even get extra-credit for referring to it.

Good to see that no one is going to help you take the easy way out...especially when the right way itself is pretty damned easy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 01:41 am
@aperson,
Yes, Clint Eastwood's character faces a major moral decision in Gran Torino. Eastwood ("Frodo") is an Irish immigrant who has stowed away on the Titanic and is known to his fellow passengers as "Tugboat Willie." He is befriended by a a kindly angel named Clarence (played by Tom Hanks), who shows him what his life would have been like if he hadn't survived the invasion of Normandy (played by Queen Latifah). Frodo then meets upper-class passenger Merryl Streep (played by Angelina Jolie), who is convinced by Frodo to pose en deshabillé for a poster that he can use to cover up the escape tunnel that he is digging. The scene then switches to the top of the Empire State Building, where the two have agreed to meet. But Merryl (played by Maggie Gyllenhaal) is hit by the Cloverfield monster on her way to the meeting, and Frodo, unaware of this event, is lured away by his arch-nemesis, Keyser Soze (also played by Clint Eastwood), who explains that Frodo is actually part of the "Matrix" (played by Dennis Hopper), which is a computer-generated reality that allows the writers to cover up any glaring plot inconsistencies by saying it's all "magic." Merryl, meanwhile, takes a turn for the worse when an alien (played by Keanu Reaves) pops out of her stomach, complete with top hat and cane, and sings "Hello, Mah Baby!" The alien phones home in time to discover that Plan 9 is in effect and the password is "Klaatu barada nikto." There is, however, no time to put the plan into effect, since a meteor (played by Will Ferrell) is headed for Earth, and the president (played by Abigail Breslin), a former Gulf War fighter pilot, must suit up and fight the alien invasion (played by Mickey Rourke). The invasion is thwarted when the aliens all succumb to the Andromeda strain (a computer virus that only affects alien Macs, apparently), and Frodo's search takes him to Manderly, where he finds Charles Foster Kane (played by Will Smith) on his deathbed, saying, in his last breath, "I coulda' been a contender!" Meanwhile, those meddling kids (Alfalfa, Spanky, Buckwheat, and Gwyneth Paltrow), find the treasure of the Sierra Madre in the back seat of Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino (played by Robert Downey Jr.). The scene is then set for the final confrontation between the Terminator (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) and the mother (played by Brad Pitt) of the child (played by Morgan Freeman) who will one day become king (played by Susan Sarandon) of the world (played by the moon).

So, I think it's obvious where the moral dilemma exists in this movie. I hope this has been of some assistance.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 03:20 am
@joefromchicago,
I really liked that Clint could pull off both the role of Frodo and Keyser Soze. And weren't the special effects amazing when they kissed?!
Joe(it really took my breath away)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 04:37 am
@joefromchicago,
wow, Im gonna have to watch it again cause I missed some of that the first time. I got the "top a the world ma" reference at the very end , but I missed some of the other. I just watch a movie for its general entertainment value the first time. Then, if I liked it, Ill watch it gain to ctch those more subtle events.

Thanks Joe(s)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 04:44 am
@joefromchicago,
Excellent synopsis, jfromc! Well done. Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:04 am
@msolga,
Yep, he summed it right up there. I wish I was still a student and had a report on this subject that was due. Id just glomm Joes wods and watch that "A " happen.
msolga

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:22 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, I know. Joe's just made it far too easy!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 07:08 am
We should ask JoefromChicago to compare and contrast the characters and plots from two Shakespearean tragedies and how they influenced the emergence of the Adriatic Equation or the Quadratic Equator as it is known elsewhere beside Chicago, NY.

Joe(I'd also like to know more about Rogue's Pierre.)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 07:32 am
@Joe Nation,
I know two things about Rogues Pierre
and neither one is very fair.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:11 am
I just watched the movie. I'm proud I didn't run off and make a new thread, I just found this one. I was seriously taken away. I really liked it. Pretty hard hitting.

I was quite underwhelmed with the priest's acting, but I was impressed with the story and the tension created by Eastwood and the on screen chemistry between him and the boy.

T
K
O