I bought a slow cooker today ...

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Thats why I selected ribs as a "no mess up" starter meal. The sauce , under slow, will cook and congeal on the ribs, infusing them with a mokuness and flavor and "fall off te bone" texture.

One of The Girl's first slow cooker ventures was ribs and beans. The meat definitely did fall off the bone. I kept putting the ladle in and getting beans and bones. Where the hell's the meat ? ! ? ! ?
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:51 am
@Setanta,
Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:52 am
@msolga,
Taters and other root vegetables need to be started on high (say, while you're in the shower and dressing for work) and then turn it down to low, and let 'er rip. By the time you get home from work, the taters should be done. If not, turn it up to high again, and they'll cook soon enough.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:52 am
I don't suppose it was a bit over the top, buying a six litre slow cooker for a one person household?
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:54 am
@msolga,
You might not want to make a full pot of soup or stew, unless it is really, really good, and you're prepared to eat it once a day for the next week.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:56 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
One of The Girl's first slow cooker ventures was ribs and beans. The meat definitely did fall off the bone. I kept putting the ladle in and getting beans and bones. Where the hell's the meat ? ! ? ! ?
Can we interest you in a clock?
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:57 am
@farmerman,
Why don't you need to buy your wife a watch?

. . . there's a clock on the stove.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:02 am
@Setanta,
Yes, I'll remember that, Setanta. And there's always the freezer, should I forget, I guess.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:08 am
@msolga,
That would be a great idea. You could make some nice soups or stews on the weekend, when you are around to keep an eye on things, but otherwise just let it run on its own. Then you could freeze portions for later use.

So, they have freezers in Oz, now, huh? What's next . . . radios?
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:13 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That would be a great idea. You could make some nice soups or stews on the weekend, when you are around to keep an eye on things, but otherwise just let it run on its own. Then you could freeze portions for later use.

So, they have freezers in Oz, now, huh? What's next . . . radios?

Yes, I hear they're on the way ... soon, we've been promised.

Yep, the freezer solution! Though I must always remember that I now have a humungous slow cooker & only a small freezer. Seems not quite right, somehow ....

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:19 am
@msolga,
you could always open up a soup stand ala the famous Seinfeld character

you could be the soup nOZi............................capital b, double o
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:23 am
@djjd62,
Haha, I could, too, djjd! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:26 am
Ah, this is the thread I had in mind! Quite a few slow cooker recipes here!:

http://able2know.org/topic/121787-1
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:33 am
@msolga,
You need to start dating a tall fat man with a huge appetite . . .
msolga

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:35 am
@Setanta,
Idea Now there's a thought!!!! Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:37 am
@Setanta,
"have ladle will travel
read the card of a man"
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:02 am
What brand Ms Olga?
our current slow cooker ( a Breville) is a bit faster than our last one.

well it is.

Mumpads corned beef
Corned beef, carrots, fresh bay leaves (from just outside the back door) black peppercorns, sprinkle of sugar, splash of vinegar, one onion cut into quarters studded with cloves, several whole cloves of garlic, water to just cover.
cook on low 7-10 hrs depending on size.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:52 pm
@msolga,
Some fella just hollered at me that you might be able to google the name of your slow cooker - and find the manual online.

(I waited til a tiny slow cooker was part of the deal with the ginormous slow cooker - I have intentions)
msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:37 am
@dadpad,
Just a cheapie, dadpad. A jumbo Kambrook at (a very good) sale price at KMart. (I had no idea I was going to buy one when I dropped in there, on my way home from a movie on Sunday arvo.) Actually, there was only one other one, another brand, left on the shelves. (Must've been some big sale!) I bought this one because it had more temperature options, "cool touch" handles, removable ceramic bowl & I liked the oval shape (good for roasts). How's that for free a bit of advertising? Wink Laughing

Hey, I'm definitely going to make Mumpad's corned beef before too long! Looks good! And very easy. That would be 7 - 10 hours on low?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:43 am
@ehBeth,
Please thank "some fella" for suggesting that, ehBeth. Smile While I was online today I found the manufacturer's local phone number. Gave them a ring & they're sending me a copy of their manual, cookbook & the rest of the information that I should have.

Quote:
(I waited til a tiny slow cooker was part of the deal with the ginormous slow cooker - I have intentions)

That sounds like a good deal! So what are your intentions, ehBeth? I'm dead keen to know! Very Happy
0 Replies