I bought a slow cooker today ...

NettieK

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 05:55 am
@msolga,
I don't have any particular favourite recipe. Just whatever i feel like adding. I never tend to use recipes, just add and create. Am starting to get a bit more adventurous. I swiped a cookbook we sell at work the other day, will give me plenty of ideas. Did a chicken one which had scone mix dumplings. Was rather tasty, but I think I prefer proper suet dumplings.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:03 am
@NettieK,
You're obviously a much more competent & creative book than I am , Nettie. I need those recipes!
Incidentally (& rather surprisingly) the Women's Weekly (hardcover) Slow Cooking is by far the best I've come across. And I've looked far & wide. I use it often.

Hmmmm ... scone dumplings & suet dumplings. A whole untried field for me.
jespah

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:11 am
@msolga,
I have a case of it - I absolutely could send you a bottle (feel free to PM me if you like). And it is a rather strange taste sensation.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:26 am
@jespah,
Really, jespah?
That's very generous of you! Smile
jespah

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:37 am
@msolga,
Oh it's no trouble - the bottles are small. I'll pack the hell out of it - you do NOT want your poor postman to be drenched in the stuff.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:54 am
@jespah,
Thank you, jespah! Smile
I'll be in touch by PM.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 07:10 am
@msolga,
Thanks msolga, I get a lot of inspiration from taste.com.au have many recipes to surf amongst.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 07:17 am
@NettieK,
Whereas I am a compulsive buyer of cookbooks, Nettie! Wink Very Happy
NettieK

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 02:58 am
@msolga,
When we renovated the kitchen a year ago, I had a spot made especially for my cookbooks. When it is full I cannot buy anymore. I actually ditched half of my books at the time. Only bought a couple since. I only have 1 that is for slow cookers, that is all I need.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 09:10 pm
I have the WW Slow Cooker cookbook - but mine is soft cover.

Love the corned beef!

I have a heap of cook books, too! Perhaps I should cook occasionally?
msolga

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 12:15 am
@margo,
Quote:
I have a heap of cook books, too! Perhaps I should cook occasionally?

Laughing

Yeah, me too, margo!

So far I have made the Cuban Black Bean Soup (P11) Yum!

The Corned beef.

The "Best Ever Bolognese Sauce" (p32) It was pretty good!

My favourite recipe so far: Chicken, Lentil and Pumpkin Curry (p95) Made it twice already!

Considering the Honey Soy Lamb Chops next. (p68)

And I'm also eyeing the Duck Vindaloo (p107), the Chinese Chicken Hotpot (p46) & the Lamb Shank, Fennel & Vegetable soup (p80) and ......... so many others!

(This has been a paid advertisement for The Australian Women's Weekly. Wink )
margo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 06:57 pm
@msolga,
Very Happy Razz yes - this is my cookbook. Bought a batch of chuck steak yesterday - so browsing this morning!

Duck vindaloo - seems a bit of a waste!

ps glad I previewed - original text would have given a totally different opinion of vindaloo! Cool Shocked typos R us!
msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 08:11 pm
@margo,
Quote:
Duck vindaloo - seems a bit of a waste!

Perhaps you're right about that, margo.
Still checking out all varieties of duck recipes here.
Quote:
Bought a batch of chuck steak yesterday - so browsing this morning!

Do tell us what you ended up cooking!

0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:13 am
Well, Olga - I'm holding you responsible for my cooking frenzy!

The beef and onions have been browned,and gone into the cooker, with a large tin of tomatoes, potato, pumpkin, carrots and kumera, and anything else I could find, some garlic, pepper and salt - and that's cooking merrily away.

I bought a whole (Jap) pumpkin last night, so just over half of that has gone into another pot, with potatoes, ginger, basil, stock, anything else, and is souping away. I wonder how it would go with a bit of lemon grass added?

I thought I saw a recipe somewhere for a korma vegetable thingy, and I have korma paste, the remainder of the pumpkin, almost a kilo of carrots (less 3 in beef casserole),almost a kilo of kumera (less 1 in beef casserole), spuds, plenty left. Hmmmm!

I have a terra cotta potato cooker, and I was planning to cook some little taties for the tennis lunch tomorrow. They keep warm for ages if I wrap the pot in a towel immediately they finish cooking. Might be enough soup for a crowd too!

This is all sounding far too healthy!
msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:04 am
@margo,
Excellent work, margo!
I'm cooking Deb's famous lemon & whole garlic chicken dish right now.
Expecting my dinner guest very soon.
The house smells FABULOUSLY garlicky.
Oh how I love garlic! Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:48 pm
Still cooking today.

Made another attempt at the egg and spinach brekky thing this morning. Still not right. Washed the spinach and put it in ramekins. Broke an egg over each and put ramekins in a pan of boiling water, and covered with lid. Eggs poached, but forgot to grease ramekins, so spinach stuck to it. Needs some sort of sauce - one recipe I found uses creme fraiche. Persevering on this one. I like the combination of eggs and spinach.

Pumpkin soup was a bit bland - tossed in some sambal oelek, and now appropriately spicy, not hot but more interesting. Needs coriander, now - shop this am.

Beef casserole OK - but needs livening as well. Chilli again???
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 03:54 pm
@margo,
"Needs some sort of sauce "

Hollandaise...?

please keep us posted, my spinach is almost ready to pick.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:44 pm
@margo,
Quote:
Beef casserole OK - but needs livening as well. Chilli again???

and/or any of these?:

a tablespoon of tomato paste (if one uses such things. I do.)

a little port or dry red wine?

some chopped flat-leaf parsley added at the end of cooking?

or ...

if all else fails, a bit of good ol Worcestershire Sauce! Razz

0 Replies