The end of reality television? Please?

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 08:35 am
@rosborne979,
Your right, only about half the shows on The History Channel is actually something about relevant history. There's a good one on tomorrow "Journey to 10,000 BC" (they always tie some program into a recent movie when they get the chance), and "The Link" which showcases the recent fossel discovered (they didn't call it "The Missing Link" as rightwing blogs were shouting and screaming). Today is all WWII. "Ice Road Truckers" is hardly historic but is is entertaining. However, I tired of it about three episodes in. During the week is another story, filled with a lot of reruns of UFO retreads, mythical monsters, et al. The pop programs I would guess are necessary to get sponsors -- if it was a pay tier channel, it might be more like Smithsonian or National Geographic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 01:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

these shows are exploitative [exploitive; there is no word of "exploitate"]
in the extreme. That America allows children to be exploited so badly in such shows and Nanny 911 and Wife swap speaks volumes about American hypocrisy. Some of these same people who watch these shows and thus support the harm of children are the same ones who are passing out flyers when a "child predator" moves in withing five miles of their house. The same ones who argue up and down that 16 and 17 year olds need to be protected from sexual reality so strongly that their partners should be tossed in jail and ruined for life with the Predator label plop down in front of the TV and giggle when 19 year old girls are plied with alcohol on the set of MTV shows, filmed having sex, and branded sluts and alcoholics in front of all of America.

WHAT harm is that, exactly ?
Broken legs? Hair loss?
Loss of pensions?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 02:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Broken legs? Hair loss?
Loss of pensions?

That would be the violation of their personal space, and having their life story not only exposed but sold for profit. I mind but not a whole lot idiot adults prostituting themselves for commercial TV, but for cripe's sake leave the kids out of it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Broken legs? Hair loss?
Loss of pensions?

That would be the violation of their personal space, and having their life story not only exposed but sold for profit. I mind but not a whole lot idiot adults prostituting themselves for commercial TV, but for cripe's sake leave the kids out of it.

I don't get the point.
Y ?

What the hell DIFFERENCE does it make,
unless the kid REFUSES to do the job,
invoking his 13th Amendment rights,
but if he WANTS TO, he has as much right to do it for profit as U do.

What right do U have
to screw him financially ??

Suppose the kid does not like what YOU do for a living ?

`
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What right do U have

Suppose the kid does not like what YOU do for a living

I don't mind child actors so long as their lives are regulated, but it is a whole new ball game when kids are being filmed and broadcast for somebody elses profit, astensibly being themselves. I would allow older teens to thus reveal themselves, but then I also would allow them to reveal their bodies (sexting) and and be openly sexual without making criminals out of them. Younger than 15 years old, or maybe 14, no way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
What right do U have

Suppose the kid does not like what YOU do for a living

I don't mind child actors so long as their lives are regulated,
but it is a whole new ball game when kids are being filmed
and broadcast for somebody elses profit, astensibly being themselves.
I would allow older teens to thus reveal themselves,
but then I also would allow them to reveal their bodies (sexting)
and and be openly sexual without making criminals out of them.
Younger than 15 years old, or maybe 14, no way.

REGULATED ?? By whom ?

Who regulates YOUR life ?

ALLOW ??
By what authority ?

America is a place where each citizen
shoud regulate his own life. I have not seen whichever show it is that u have in mind,
nor have I any clue as to whatever contractual relationships r involved.
I am completely at a loss to discern any danger except from officious intermeddlers
who refuse to mind their own business.

Maybe u think thay will get tooth decay ?

or sink in quicksand ?

hit by a truck ?

WHAT ????

Do u also try to get your adult friends fired ?

or u just pick on kids ?

What 'd u think if the kid went to YOUR boss or client
and got YOU fired; how 'd u like that ??

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Child actors' lives are heavily regulated, and rightfully so. They must have the proper school hours, strict limits on when and how much they can work, and their money must be held in trust with multiple layers of oversight. Reality show kids should have even more protection, as their lives are laid bare.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 12:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Child actors' lives are heavily regulated, and rightfully so.
They must have the proper school hours, strict limits on when
and how much they can work, and their money must be held in
trust with multiple layers of oversight. Reality show kids should
have even more protection, as their lives are laid bare.

That sounds like a non-sequitur.
What the hell DIFFERENCE does it make?
If the kid does not like it,
then he shoud refuse to participate.

U have been less than clear in expressing the nature of your objection.

Something about the rong person profiting ??

Maybe the kid is not paid enuf, in your judgment ?
Do u know how much he is paid ?

U r concerned about exposure of secrets ?

To what show r u objecting ?
0 Replies

rg123

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 06:48 pm
Just saw this thread and have to admit that I like Survivor, as well as (in an ironic juxtaposition) Project Runway (even though I'm not at all into fashion) and The Ultimate Fighter (even though I am not into that activity either, though I was a Tae Kwon Do instructor in younger days).

I think the Survivor concept is really a pretty interesting game design. The tension between conniving to get people other than yourself voted out and then having to convince a jury of those people to vote in favor of you at the end is really pretty neat. Plus, I like seeing the places they go and some of the challenges they do. I particularly enjoyed rooting for the older Physics Professor who won it in that one season.

While I care nothing for fashion or designing clothes, I still find myself putting myself in the shoes of the Project Runway desingers when they're forced to solve a creativity challenge with limited resources in a limited period of time. I find that I cannot relate much to the criteria that the judges use to determine the winning designs a lot of times - but that show still grabs my interest.

In the Ultimate Fighter, a lot of the assinine behavior of many of the fighters in the house where they stay is a turn off, but I still find watching those competitions and the strategies/techniques/training they do fascinating, and an adrenaline rush sometimes as I'm pulling for some guy who's down to make it back to his feet. I know the punishment those guys take a lot of times is disturbing, butI enjoy watching it in spite of that rather than because of it - because of my prior involvement with Martial Arts.

The writing is so bad on most of the non-reality shows on TV, that they do not interest me at all (Lost and The Office being the only two exceptions that come to mind.)

Just felt like giving a different take on reality shows, since I do like those three.
0 Replies