mm25075

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 03:34 pm
I'm looking at my house and have decided I need more security. I am thinking of purchasing a home security system, but I don't want to have to buy those home security services. I live alone now, so I think it's something I really need to take a hard look at though.

I have been looking at solar power cameras with wireless capability.

Do you have a security system in your house? What are the pros and cons? If you were going to purchase a home security system, what would you consider as 'need to have's?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,925 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:52 am
@mm25075,
I have a home security system. It is a wireless system (which I believe most are now). Often times you can get free hardware and installation with an agreement to use their monitoring systems for a period of time - I think usually 2 years. The monthly cost is usually just under $40/month. You can include things where all windows/doors are monitored with giving windows a certain amount of room to be open - motion system (which isn't good if you have pets), glass break (which we have as we have a french door to a patio). Most major alarm monitoring companies have these options.
mm25075

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 11:56 am
@Linkat,
Alrighty. I have cats, so the motion sensors inside won't do much good. But possibly some motion sensor lights on the backyard gate and near the front door.

I have a french door on the back patio which needs to be extra secure. Right now the french door has a deadbolt but if the glass is broken it would be an easy reach in to unlock it. I am thinking something along the lines of a slide bolt at the very top of the door or changing the lock itself to a double keyed entry. I have heard some safety concerns about the double key lock however in case there is a fire or I would need to get out quickly. Not sure that is a huge concern though, since the front door and back door are in the same room. If there is fire, I'd be better off going out windows instead. I heard in some states, the double key lock is illegal. (?)

Anyone had luck with cameras and other detection software? I'm somewhat computer literate and am not sure I like the idea having to pay a security monitoring company and would like to discuss other options out there. I have seen an internet security set up where I can set up cameras and view them from any computer with internet connection. It's a bit pricy but if I'm looking at paying $40 a month for normal monitoring, that would add up pretty quickly.

FWIW - I have neighbors all around me, several are home during most of the day and one lady directly across the street from me IS a nosy neighbor so she frequently tells me when I have people visiting. Sometimes nosy neighbors are good to have.
BorisKitten

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I have a home security system.

Me too! It's called three dogs, two of them rather large pit-bull mixes.
Still, if they happen to be eating cheese puffs at the moment, they'd let an intruder step on them before noticing him.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:42 pm
@mm25075,
I don't like those french doors; I agree a double lock would be the most useful, esp given the front door's in the same room (for fire escape).

If'n I were you, I'd invite Nosy Neighbor over for tea and cookies, explaining why I needed her help.

She'd prolly be all over you; your only problem then might be extraction of her from up your butt at all times, but hey, it IS free!
mm25075

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:57 pm
@BorisKitten,
K, well the neighbor is a given. Her and I have had tea during the block party and while I was a little creeped out she knew sooo much about my comings and goings, I know she will feel free to ask questions if she has any doubt. Smile

One note about the french doors: They lead to my backyard. My backyard is surrounded almost completely by other neighbor's yards on all sides and there is a 6 foot block wall surrounding it. The only way someone could get into the yard would be to cut the locks off TWO gates and/or climb over the block wall. So, the chance they would get to the french doors is low.

I have also recently found one of those motion senor driveway alarms for fairly cheap and am going to put that just outside the patio area, so if anyone steps within about 5 feet of the door, the alarm will go off inside the house.

Although I would love to get a dog, it's not in the cards right now with having 5 kitties. Mwhahaa well on my way to becoming a CRAZY cat lady Very Happy
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:04 pm
I would say my biggest source of concern for safety are two large ground floor windows which face away from the center of the cul-de-sac. If they were to be broken, they are big enough for anyone to climb in easily. I have strong window screens, but have considered getting motion sensors to go off if they are opened or broken.

I really like the ease of use of wireless motion sensors and have been shopping for solar ones but all the reviews I have read, don't seem to think the solar power is all that effective. Sunlight is NOT a problem where I live, butthe dern things are so pricey I'd hate to not have them work right after purchasing them just to find out.
0 Replies