Anyone know anything about this artist?

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 01:45 pm
I have two signed and numbered lithographs by an artist who signature is "D Bennett". They are vividly colored, fanciful scenes of what I assume to be India before or during the British occupation. One is of musicians in boats on a red body of water. The other is of a hunting party riding on the back of an elephant, with wild game depicted running all around them.

I was told by the person who gave the prints to me that the artist was an English woman who lived in India, but I am not really sure if this is true or not. I have googled, up, down & sideways and searched art house sites but cannot find who this artist is or any other works by her/him.

Anyone familiar with this artist who can fill me in on any details about her/him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,996 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed
No top replies

sullyfish6

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:09 pm
Did you Google: Women artists of India?

Cat Purrson

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:03 pm
@sullyfish6,
I will try that. Didn't use those words exactly but did try some other combos that were similar. Thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 07:37 pm
@Cat Purrson,
Hello, Cat
The red water really interests me, especially if, as seems likely, you are dealing with scenes of British India. Earlier in Britain's colonization of India, the colonials' [and, for what it's worth "Bennett"is a common British surname] imagery of the land was more strictly representational. Is the water red because it is illuminated by many lanterns or other lights? Do you get to see the audience? What kind of instruments--and how many--are played? Are the figures more realistic or more like examples of caricature? Is the water a solid red? Are you sensing some kind of exaggeration? If this is night-time--which seems likely for comfort of players and audience--does the scene look like part of an aristocrats' soiree or more like a middle-class entertainment. The British were very class-conscious in the heyday of empire, and there would be class markers in the image. The same goes for the hunting party--usually this is a ruling-class sport. Is the number of game animals excessively large? If so, does this feel like a parody of class behavior--or is it merely an unusual "successful" hunt?
Your use of the terms "vividly colored" and "fanciful scenes" make me wonder if there is parody going on, or merely celebration. Can you please give me your take on this? If it's parody, the artist may be a bit easier to find. Finally, does this look like the work of a professional artist or the work of an amateur?
Interesting puzzle. I'd like to try to help you find the artist.
Cat Purrson

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:58 pm
@Miklos7,
I will see if I can post some photos of the lithographs. They are not truly "realistic" scenes and I do not believe they are caricatures, although I am not really too familiar with art of this nature.

They are not in true perspective, though, and both the musicians and the hunting scene seem very stylized..

I really like them because of the bold colors and interesting details. I have the musicians on the wall above my kitchen sink and, even after 9 or 10 years, I am not tired of looking at it.

Cat
Cat Purrson

Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:23 am
@Miklos7,
Tried to post photos of the 2 lithos, but I guess I am not savvy enough to figure out how to do it. Tried copy and paste but it didn't work and there doesn't seem to be any way to upload a photo.
Perhaps the able2know venue won't allow that type of post?
ARRRRGGGHHH!
0 Replies

leeward

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 08:08 am
@Cat Purrson,
OK....in the late 1960s the Book of the month club had a division calle -fine art 260- that sold limited edition prints and sculptures. My then husband and I bought -2- prints by D Bennett. One was a tiger stalking a sleeping Indian man and the other was some Indian musicians in a boat ( the other one you have). A third was offered which we did NOT buy....some Indian men on horseback. I have the tiger print, my ex has the musician print AND an Indian nurse in my office has just brought in the elephant print which you have , a gift form a TB doctor. I will be seeing the MD this PM and will ask what he knows about the artist. ALSO, somewhere in my papers at hhome I have a postcard of the musician print with information about the artist on the back...it was sent to us by BOMC to advertise the print. I'll wade through my stuff at home and try to find it. I too have been searching for any info about this wonderful artist!
Lee
0 Replies

leeward

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 01:30 pm
@Cat Purrson,
Her full name is (now) Dianna Bennett (Wirtz) Kingsley. She has an art studio in the pacific NW called the 'kingston cove studio' Any -Indian- style colorful prints were done for 'fine arts 260' decades ago. She is American and not English
Cat Purrson

Thu 24 Oct, 2013 06:55 am
@leeward,
I just sent a photo of the lithograph of the boat musicians to her Kingston Cove Facebook page. Hope to get a response.

Thanks for the info!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 24 Oct, 2013 07:10 am
@leeward,
She also has a brother called Gordon.
Cat Purrson

Thu 24 Oct, 2013 11:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
She replied that these lithos are not her work.
0 Replies

Cat Purrson

Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:06 pm
@leeward,
She replied that these lithos are not her work.
0 Replies

janemelamed

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:59 am
I also have 2 of her prints: one of a "hunting party" on horseback chasing birds with nets and a second of a "leopard" being challenge by a hunter mounted on an elephant. I bought both from Fine Arts 260 and also have been trying to trace the artist. The depth of the pigment is remarkable after so many years; these prints both date from about 1973-1975. I do remember from the description cards that her images were based on classic Persian miniatures. Wish some info was available.
0 Replies

pbrennen

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 06:46 pm
I think Diana Bennet is Canadian and lives in Toronto. She lived for a few years in India and took up the "Raj style of Indian lithographs". I have 5 of her lithographs, some I bought in the late 1970s and some in the last 6 months. She is a bit of a mystery to me, cannot pin down exactly who or where she lives. Patrick B in Rockport, Texas
0 Replies

pbrennen

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:52 am
@Cat Purrson,
Diana Bennett - Artist bio- Highlighting the career of Diana Bennett are seven one-man shows in the U.S., two one-man shows in Europe and numerous group exhibitions in the U.S., Europe and Asia. At one time or another, Bennett has called each of these three continents home. Born in London, she has studied at the Hunter College and the Art Students League, later establishing a studio in Greenwich Village. In between came two years of art studies in India, and now she and her husband divide their time between the U.S. and Spain.

Art description- Against a midnight sea, the fishing boat seems fashioned of precious metals. This elegance and the exotic sea creatures illumined by the light from a magnificent torch suggest a ritual or myth. The rapt concentration of the bearded, turbaned, trident-wielding fishermen contrasts with the aura of gaiety created by the brilliant colorings of their costumes and the magic fish.
pbrennen

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 09:56 am
@pbrennen,
Artist bio- Highlighting the career of Diana Bennett are seven one-man shows in the U.S., two one-man shows in Europe and numerous group exhibitions in the U.S., Europe and Asia. At one time or another, Bennett has called each of these three continents home. Born in London, she has studied at the Hunter College and the Art Students League, later establishing a studio in Greenwich Village. In between came two years of art studies in India, and now she and her husband divide their time between the U.S. and Spain.

Art description- Against a midnight sea, the fishing boat seems fashioned of precious metals. This elegance and the exotic sea creatures illumined by the light from a magnificent torch suggest a ritual or myth. The rapt concentration of the bearded, turbaned, trident-wielding fishermen contrasts with the aura of gaiety created by the brilliant colorings of their costumes and the magic fish.
0 Replies

janemelamed

Tue 9 Feb, 2016 04:31 pm
@pbrennen,
She is difficult to track down for sure. I will just continue to enjoy my lithographs. Interestingly, a copy of the "Man on Elephant with Leopard", #74/260 is currently for sale on eBay with a high bid of $69. It is still in its original orange metal frame.
0 Replies