A cake recipe designed with kids in mind.

littlek

Sat 4 Oct, 2003 07:31 pm
This recipe contest has me thinking about old favorites. When I was in high school my family got ahold of a recipe called Wacky Cake. I've never heard of it anywhere else, but lo and behold, it's online. Of course. Here's the recipe, the ingredients are decidely uncake-like, but it makes a fair cake:

Wacky Cake
Travel Food Recipes
Quick, easy, and just perfect! Eat it the first or second day.
WACKY CAKE

1-1/2 cups flour 1 cup sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp soda 3 tbsp cocoa 6 tbsp vegetable oil (not olive oil) 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift all dry ingredients into an ungreased 9x9 inch cake pan. Make a well in the center and pour the oil, vinegar, vanilla and cold water into it. The combination will start to bubble. Mix well with a fork until smooth. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and frost with chocolate frosting.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

3 tablespoons cocoa 1 cup powdered sugar 2 tablespoons soft butter 2 tablespoons hot coffee

Sift cocoa and sugar together into bowl. Add butter. Add hot coffee and beat until thick and smooth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,865 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

colorbook

Sat 4 Oct, 2003 07:45 pm
Hi littlek. I remember this recipe from 9th grade Home Economics class (quite a long time ago).
I remember how amazed I was at how easy it was to make a home made cake. I used to make Wacky Cake for my young brothers. Seeing the recipe here brought back some of those memories.
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:05 am
Apparantly this recipe has been around since the depression, that is true if the internet is to be trusted.
0 Replies