Lorna

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:42 pm
Hi,

I'm going to Dublin for 4 days, leaving this Thursday. Any advice on what I should see/do while there?

Thanks

Lorna Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 08:22 pm
Dublin's nightclub and music scene is so active and strong that it's hard to keep up with it. (Traditional Dubliners, however, will be found at the local pub, laughing and philosophizing over a pint or two.) Most of the hot spots, whether pubs, clubs or concert venues, tend to be in and around the city center.
In recent years, Temple Bar has become home to a flourishing arts scene and vibrant nightlife. It's the equivalent of Soho in New York or London: There are lots of trendy restaurants, coffee shops and nightclubs and a fair number of pubs with traditional Irish music (though the music sessions get a little glitzy in Temple Bar -- some showcase Irish step dancers in addition to the musicians). The sidewalks are filled with younger residents of Dublin as well as with lots of visitors from the U.S. and Europe.

"Clubs" are special theme nights held at nightclubs and are geared toward people who take their dance music very seriously: Independent organizers come into a nightclub, bringing top Irish, British and other European deejays. In the quest for newness, club nights change venues and themes constantly. If you are a committed clubgoer, the best bet is to check local listings when you arrive to see where the action is. Expect to pay 15 euros-25 euros.

Most nightclubs stay open until 3 am.

Inevitably, there's a shortage of taxis in the city center on weekend nights when the pubs and bars close: Be prepared to wait an hour at a taxi stand.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:37 am
Thanks Misti--I think I'm going to enjoy myself...in fact I know I am!

L Smile
0 Replies