Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:27 am
an essay or a paragraph about the comparison between letter and email.

View best answer, chosen by monidipadey
Rockhead
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:32 am
your homework is rough, dude...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:39 am
@monidipadey,
Well here are some differences, you can write a paragraph using them to complete your assignment.

1) Email is much cheaper than snail mail, meaning that it is used for many more purposes. For example, you didn't see a lot of jokes forwarded to you in the post.

2) Email is obviously much faster than snail mail. This means that exchanges can happen more quickly and the writing has become a lot more conversational as a result. Now you don't need to pack a month's information into a letter since you can just exchange multiple emails.

3) Email can be to groups. While a letter can be copied and sent to multiple people, it rarely resulted in the kind of group exchange that email can with mailing lists, reply all and other such technical features that facilitate collaboration.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:47 am
@monidipadey,
What is a letter?
chai2

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:52 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

What is a letter?

an example would be "T"
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:04 am
@monidipadey,
Letters are wonderful. I have this wicker basket I call my memory box and in this basket, I have letters I've saved from my grandmother to me when I was a child, from my father to me when I was in college, from my friends from highschool when I went away to college, from all sorts of people- and the other night, my daughter and I were looking through it and she was absolutely amazed. First of all that people used to write letters like that and secondly that I saved all this stuff (but I save everything. I still have all my report cards since kindergarten - my teacher wrote - Rebecca is doing very well writing her letters - but she still reverses '3 and 7' Laughing) .
It also gave her some real insight into people in her family - her grandfather (she said, 'Wow! Papa's a great writer'...her dad (she was reading his letters to me before we were married and she was born) her uncle,ec.

Anyway - since e-mail, I've only saved two letters. And that's from my best friend now who's sent me two letters and I've saved them because I like his handwriting and hardly ever get to see it.

My favorite letter is from my little brother who had a learning disability and he wrote it when I was going away to college. All it said was: 'I wish you to stay.'

How can e-mail replace stuff like that? You can look back and remember people and how they were with you and you with them.

I think not writing or receiving letters as much is such a loss for people.
Although, yes, e-mail is more convenient.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:15 am
@monidipadey,
You mean you want me to write your essay or paragraph about this?
aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:36 am
@Linkat,
or you could just give him input and thoughts and then he could craft his own essay or paragraph.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:40 am
@aidan,
or he could come up with his own original ideas and then write his own essay or paragraph - what a concept do your own work!
aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:47 am
@Linkat,
It's still his own work. Maybe he doesn't have very much experience with writing or receiving letters. As I stated - my daughter doesn't. E-mail has been around since she and her friends could write.
saab

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:30 pm
My family was a letter writing family. Many of my friends were letter writers. The letters could be interesting and long, short and informative, just short and uninformative.
Now most of us have internet and can send e-mails. What is the result? They hardly write at all or just now and then some completely uninteresting junk like:
We have nice weather! What about you?
Left is a small group who still can write either letters or e-mails as if they were letters. Long, interesting, well written, no shortenings and informative.
Personally I never send an e-mail without a nice picture matching the season, or the person I write to, or something funny I find over internet.
I have some letters which I like very much to now and then look at.
A forefather writes to his hopefully future father-in-law and asks for the daughter´s hand. First he gets a NO as she is too young and another letter
is sent off in which the young man says he does not find her too young, and he himself has a good income and can provide for her. They did get married about a year later. The letters are from 1886.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:43 pm
@aidan,
Jeepers can't kids do research - I just answered a monkey research question with the explanation of how my daughter went about finding out information. Do you really think if you were to provide some info that this person would not write verbatim what you write?
aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:59 pm
@Linkat,
This IS research.
Just like people put up polls and take surveys and ask opinions on issues all the time.

No, I don't think he'd write verbatim what I wrote- how could he? Has he gone to college? Has he had romances and engagements? Was his little brother learning disabled?

I think he might look at Robert's points and think about them in terms of e-mails, and then look at my and Saab's experiences with and feelings about letters, think about those, decide if he likes those ideas or considers them relevant, and then maybe use them to help him consolidate his own thoughts, maybe quote people from a2k as unnamed participants or sources from an internet forum and fashion it all into an essay.

But then, I do tend to try to think the best of people- especially kids. Jesus, life would be too damn depressing to do it any other way. But you feel free to think whatever you like about this person none of us even know.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 01:07 pm
@aidan,
I think you are naivee.

He did not ask for a survey. He didn't ask specific questions as one would with a survery.

"No, I don't think he'd write verbatim what I wrote- how could he? Has he gone to college? Has he had romances and engagements? Was his little brother learning disabled?"
I just wrote verbatim what you did by copying and pasting that is how.
It doesn't matter whether one goes to college or is in Pre-School, my kindergartener knows how to copy and paste and I do as a college graduate. As far as the other two questions - yes and no. I just know these sorts of things.

Just look back at other posts - I fully support helping some one - but I do not support supplying answers.

aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 01:16 pm
@Linkat,
But Linkat - his teacher knows he hasn't had those experiences yet, whether he copies and pastes them or not.

I'm not naive - I just don't believe that all students are lazy and cheaters. And I've witnessed this myself- that's why I have the belief that I do.

I did not supply answers. There is no right or wrong answer. I told him how I feel about letters and what they've meant in my life.
He may be able to use it and he may not.
But if he's a kid in school - he most certainly will not be able to copy and paste verbatim what I've written and present my experiences as his own. It won't work.
I guess we just view things differently- but I sure did enjoy thinking and writing about letters and how much they mean to me.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:05 pm
@aidan,
Oh, I'm just funning with you...

But I have seen lots of lazy students on her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 02:50 am
@aidan,
Halleluljah!!!

The damn site is for exchanging information.....I see no need to get on one's high horse and slam people for asking for homework help. It's not like there's a sign saying "No Homework Questions".
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:07 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Jeepers can't kids do research

This is research.

Edit: just saw that aidan said the exact same thing.
Linkat

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 11:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Jeepers you all are uptight - I was funning with y'all. How many ways do I have to slice - in either case, I'm not giving any answers - unless they are misleading ones! That also is the danger of posting your homework questions - people like me that enjoy giving incorrect answers!
0 Replies