What's the scariest phishing email you've ever received?

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:00 pm
What's the scariest phishing email you have ever received? How authentic did it look? Was it a faked bank email?

Quote:
phishing
Scamming method used to ellicit information from "uninformed" computer users through impersonation of trusted sources.
Joe got an e-mail from eBay saying he needed to enter his username and password at the link provided to verify his account information. It later turns out he was a victim of phishing.
by Easy_Target February 19, 2005

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phishing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

I've seen faked Paypal, etc.... Received the following potential phishing email this morning. I quickly threw it into the spam box. Too many red flags popped up (via omission) in the very short email.

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zvabyw.jpg

If you ever receive a potential phishing attempt. Don't click on any suspicious attachments. Follow the following instruction to report it to the appropriate authorities.

Quote:
Report Phishing Emails
Forward phishing emails to [email protected] – and to the company, bank, or organization impersonated in the email. You also may report phishing email to [email protected]. The Anti-Phishing Working Group, a group of ISPs, security vendors, financial institutions and law enforcement agencies, uses these reports to fight phishing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,304 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never had any that were scary, but used to get a few telling me my order had shipped, or was waiting to be picked up. I was curious, but not enough to click on the link they furnished.
0 Replies

mwinslow

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I received a phishing email that was really good. It was supposedly sent by my bank "us bank." It looked super legit and something you would see from your bank. It said they were updating their system and they needed to update some pieces of information regarding my account (dob, mother's maiden name, ss #). I know that people that weren't very aware got taken advantage of. I immediately called US bank and sent them a copy of my email. The representative that I sent my email to said it was the best one she had ever seen.
If I ever question a suspicious email, I always call the phone number of the business that's on Google to verify.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 06:41 am
@mwinslow,
Quote:
If I ever question a suspicious email, I always call the phone number of the business that's on Google to verify.

That's smart thinking. When I get something unusual that claims to be from my bank, I open a new browser tab and go straight to my online bank account. If the email was legitimate, banks also will have the same message in their messaging center that's associated with ones online account.
mwinslow

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 06:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I used to be in banking, and you are exactly right. I wish everyone had the common sense to do that......
0 Replies