Can 'nothing' exist?

fresco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 02:33 pm
We are certainly into ontology and epistemology....but also "interelationship" between ourselves. (or as MA calls it "the human condition") When we talk about "solar furnaces" and "selves" we forget such concepts involve a complex evolving semantic web of shared experience and "education" such that even the "self" of "egocentricity" is a socially acquired/understood aspect of relationships. Thus the "existence" of "solar furnaces" is always contextual whether that context is part of a rhetorical discussion on this forum, or whether it is the focus of attention of "scientists". Existence cannot be divorced from such context, whether that existence be of "solar furnaces" or the "selves" which conceptualize them.

The concept of "n0thing" cannot exist without "a conceiver", but that means the essential presence of the conceiver negates the ontologological status of nothingness.

fresco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:31 pm
@fresco,
typo
ontological
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:34 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
The concept of "n0thing" cannot exist without "a conceiver", but that means the essential presence of the conceiver negates the ontologological status of nothingness.

Very well put, indeed.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:47 pm
@Merry Andrew,
A designer is required for everything else, so the elusive nothingness is just one more to add to the list. He, she or it would be designing that nothingness from their own state of nothingness. Mind dumbing, er, I mean numbing.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:11 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
I think if the earth and humans had never come to be, that would still be true, meaning our ability to imagine it is irrelevant (although I think I can).

Eorl,

On the contrary, all existence is relative to observers.

YOU are conceptualizing a universe devoid of "earth" or "humanity". Its "existence" depends on you !

Ah, but you see, I'm yet to be cured of my objectivism. If anything, I think it's getting worse!
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:15 pm
@Eorl,
Laughing You might turn into Ayn Rand right before our eyes.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:29 pm
What existed before the big bang?
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:48 pm
@McGentrix,
The Big Bong
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 09:17 pm
@Lightwizard,
Laughing Perhaps I should audition for her part in the Musical.

I just have a hard time being convinced that the planet Neptune didn't exist 1000 years ago, since no-one had seen it.
fresco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 11:44 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
I just have a hard time being convinced that the planet Neptune didn't exist 1000 years ago, since no-one had seen it.

...but once again, YOU have just put yourself "there" in your mind's eye and taken your existential relationship with "Neptune" with you. 1000 years ago "planetary Neptuneness" had no more ontological status than "the USA" did. The error is to equate the relative persistance of "physicality" with the persitance of concepts with physical features. ( Consider also the recent conceptual re-negotiation of the "planetary status" of Pluto.)

phoney

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 03:30 am
Well if 'nothing' else at least my mind has been opened wider by all these excellent posts.
I wonder now if there are 3 possibilities for or against the existence of 'nothing'.
First, you leave the earth and travel in a straight line in any direction:
1. You arrive back at the point where you started, therefore 'nothing' does not exist.
2. You keep on going ad infinitum, and assuming there is no end, therefore 'nothing' does not exist.
3. You reach a barrier of some description beyond which you can't go, and speculate that beyond this barrier there is 'nothing', therefore 'nothing' might exist.

Along comes a being with the answer.
"What's beyond this barrier" you ask
"Nothing" says the being
"Can you describe it"
"No, 'nothing' can't be described as it doesn't exist"
"So if it doesn't exist, how do you know it's not there"
"You'll have to take my word for it as the concept is beyond human imagination"

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:36 am
@fresco,
I understand it (I think) but still reject it for now. The universe existed before I did. Not for me, but that's not relevant to it's objective existence.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:42 am
@Eorl,
Well I could have stated "Entertainment Tonight," but that would infer that the entire Universe including Earth came to be exclusively as entertainment for the human race. It's just that the designer has a very warped sense of entertainment in his dark comedy.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:53 am
@Eorl,
Your difficulty is that you cannot see that "existence" is never objective.

A consideration of comparative physiology of "perceptual systems" is one way into that point. A second point is that "time" is a psychological construct, hence your concept of "before" is socio-contextually embedded. (Note that some languages do not have a "past tense"...only a "now" and a "not now".)
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:43 am
@fresco,
Correct -- the randomness of existence is swirling with subjectiveness and objectivism is a major cause of headaches and depression.
existential potential

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:07 pm
@Lightwizard,
very true lightwizard. objectivism seems to cause the most problems for people, especially when someone unwittingly objectifies their own subjective feelings onto the world, as being meaningless for example, which then in turn reduces them to depressive misanthropes.

this is such a significant mistake that we, as humans, make; unconsciously giving reality to "things" to don't actually have a reality, at least externally.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:19 pm
@phoney,
Quote:
If you can describe or imagine 'nothing' then you are describing something, therefore nothing is something.
I don't think it is possible for the human mind to get to grips with the concept of 'nothingness'.

Purely on the headline topic...depends on your definition of 'exist'.

What is to say we have to be able to conceptualise a state so that state can exist? Everything exists independent of our brains. If humans didn't exist, would the world suddenly cease to exist?

Still, 'nothing' is just a concept for absence of something. It's relative meaning differs by circumstance.
Eorl

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 12:12 am
@vikorr,
vikorr, I don't remember sharing my disease with you....

...unless...wait...after the Ayn Rand auditions...was that you !?
0 Replies

gtrxtc

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:59 pm
@phoney,
All semantics aside, the only way to describe what you are saying is that nothing and everything are the same thing. The Vedanta aspect of Hindu belief suggests (my own interpretation) that God became bored with being "one" (or so to speak "looking at himself in the mirror") thus became 2 (yin and yang, up and down, left and right, etc.) in order to play "peek-a-boo" with himself. To become consumed within the plane of duality in order to "forget" that he is alone and at the same time allow himself to be filled with the awe and wonder of "reality". To experience "I" as opposed to "oneness". To experience the creation through the eyes of the conscious. To become embedded in space, time, matter and energy. The beauty and the fallacy being the same thing.

To me, it makes no sense to distinguish between nothing and everything. They are the same thing!

Enjoy the wonderful display of reality before your eyes every waking hour. You are the eyes of God!

Peace
0 Replies

gtrxtc

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:03 pm
@vikorr,
I think you are missing the point. You are limiting your understanding of this idea by assuming ultimately that these two terms are mutually exclusive.
0 Replies