These crazy kids and their Latin

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 02:06 pm
Is there some kind of craze for tattoos written in Latin?

There was a craze for Chinese and Japanese tattoos a few years back. Is Latin the new Japanese?

I live in tattoo kingdom. Seriously, nearly everyone here has tattoos and I have yet to notice one written in Latin.

I think George should open a tattoo parlor. He'd be rich!

What other trends are out there that I'm missing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,927 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@boomerang,
Here in Hawaii everybody has tattoos. (Well, not everybody. I don't and neither does sglass.) I have yet to see any inscriptions in Latin. This in spite of the fact that on A2K there are constant requests for latinized slogans and mottos to be indelibly inflicted on one's skin. Must be all from would-be seminarians on the East Coast. Hereabouts Asian calligraphy (both Chinese and Japanese characters) is very popular. But if you're not sure just what you want, you can buy removable temp tattoos just about anywhere that sells paper goods, e.g. greeting cards. (I've been tempted to find one that says "Born to Post Bull*hit". Preferably in Latin.)
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:13 pm
@boomerang,
I think it's supposed to be tough/ ghetto. (Emphasis on "supposed to be".) Think those spiky big letters on guys' chests. So not really the kind of thing you see in freewheeling boho places like Portland and Hawaii -- more like suburbs. I dunno though -- haven't seen 'em here either. I can ask my tattoo-artist friend.

Meanwhile, a weird trend I've noticed lately is kids (young men really) purposely going slow on the freeway. (Say 45 in a 65 mph zone.) I've labeled 'em dawdlers. It seems to be some sort of ganja-haze sort of thing. If you look at 'em like "why are you driving like an 91-year-old white guy when you're a 21-year-old black guy?", you get a blank/ blissed-out look in return.

I've seen a lot of 'em though, it seems to be a thing. Not all the same guy, and not all black, but they look like they'd probably hang out together.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:15 pm
@sozobe,
Found a bunch of latin tattoos here:

http://www.checkoutmyink.com/tag/latin
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:28 pm
@sozobe,
Wow! I wonder how many phrases George would recognize as having translated. Wouldn't it be funny if he'd just been making stuff up all along?

Some of those tattoos are really beautiful. I liked the spirograph looking ones.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I've been tempted to find one that says "Born to Post Bull*hit". Preferably in Latin.

You could use it as your sig line!

I'll have to look for that tattoo paper. I buy removable tattoos at the art supply store for Mo. A company named Dover makes these little books of really good ones.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:33 pm
O tempora
O mores
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 03:37 pm
Cool link, Soz . . .

I wanna see the tough guy Marine who has Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori tattooed across his chest in letters 3 inches high . . .
0 Replies