Kids moving/playing up beyond their age group

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:41 am
One of the girls on my daughter’s softball team may move up to the next age group (she normally wouldn’t be eligible for two years) " this would be mean she an 11 year old would be playing on a team made up of 13 " 16 year old girls. Also, not as big of an age difference, but a boy in her year also moved up a grade level higher than according to his age.

In both these cases, the children are at a bit higher level than average. Academically this boy is still above average at the next grade level. The girl does play above average as well. In general, I don’t have an issue if you are talking about maybe one year, but at that young age two year difference can seem like leaps and bounds. But is this a good thing and when do you draw the line. Will it be too tough on the girl " being on a team with teenagers and the social aspects of either? I worry about potential injuries as the competition is much higher/harder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:41 pm
I think it really depends on the kid.

Our baseball league is divided into grades K-2, 3-6, then moves on to a different league. A couple of brother who were on Mo's team last year, who are now in 1st and 2nd grade, moved up to the older league this year.

These kids were fabulous player who really love the game. They were bored with the play at their grade level and I understand they are doing very well in the more advanced league.

Another kid just joined Mo's team after trying to move up a year early and not liking it. According to his mom it was just too intense and competitive.

I think that too often parents think their kid is more mature or talented than they really are and try to push them up thinking the coaching will be better. They cheat their kid by not giving them time to develop.

After hearing from this kid's mom I'm wondering if this might be Mo's last year in baseball. He likes it but doesn't love it.

He loves golf. He's really very good at it. There isn't a "Jr." golf league around here.... <sigh>
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:03 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah that's a bummer - the golf thing.

I've seen this girl and she is good, but you can tell she doesn't have the technique 100% and she doesn't significantly stand out. I know it is of course her parent's decision, but I guess I am just the more cautious type - I'd rather they be a bit better rather than hurt themselves. The ball is going to thrown harder - a pre-teen with teenagers/stuff like that. But I am a worry wart so perhaps I just worry about pushing kids to much.

And for these types of sports, there is usually a "travel team" - not that they travel far, but to other local towns - these tend to be more the competitive and better kids at the same age group so I don't really understand the pushing up part.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:29 pm
Usually I am opposed to moving a kid up to another age group unless the kid
is close to the age cut-off. I don't think they necessarily get better coaching.
Of course, they may profit by the challenge of playing against older kids, but
there's a certain level of risk if the sport involves physical contact. It's better
if the town has A, B and C teams with different skill levels playing against
other towns' teams at the same level.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:44 am
I agree George, but ultimately it is the parent's decision and the league.

What about school though? Some kids are much smarter and could benefit from a harder classes, but are they socially ready?
0 Replies