Exposure

Tyrius

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:40 pm
Im not sure wether you would characterize Graffiti as an art but what are some places where i could look at some online. Havent really come across some good ones. I'd also like to start trying grafitti out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:52 pm
Hmm, this looks like a comprehensive site: http://www.graffiti.org/

I hope you don't start actually doing this. Artistic or not, it's still illegal.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:02 pm
you could certainly practice your art on sheetrock and plywood of your own...expressing yourself while not infringing on someone elses property
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:12 pm
Graffiti to me is a part (an expressive part) of a branch of art called graphic design. You might be interested in that too. In Los Angeles, I think you can learn graphic design at a place called Art Center... that is the big leagues, a good school. People learn how to design cars there, for example.

I agree though with the others about not messing up people's property.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:15 am
Exposure
Well, the ancient Romans were pretty free with their graffiti when touring their very extensive world. And that's interesting for us, because it gives us a look at everyday life, rather than battles and other historical events of the time.

But that doesn't excuse today's graffiti-ists who use their talent (often considerable, I admit) to deface public property.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:17 am
Exposure
Tyrius - Where were you considering doing your graffiti work? The Washington Monument? Your neighbor's garage?

Or would you be willing to start with your own front door?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:18 pm
It would start on my room walls. Then just on random pieces of wood. I wasnt planning on defacing any public property.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:51 pm
Exposure
Sounds interesting. What kind of style have you in mind? The round, bulky lettering or actual pictures? Any special subject?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:53 pm
Exposure
Actually, isn't the intent to get away with something at the heart of real graffiti, though?

So would what you want to do really be graffiti or simply that style of graphic design?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 01:41 pm
I guess simply graphic design. I was thinking actual pictures with some lettering.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:09 pm
Exposure
So give it a whirl. Maybe you can send us pix of what you achieve!
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:25 pm
Heheh just dont how to get started. As in the techniques used to get some practice.
0 Replies