Philosophy of love

RonCdeWeijze

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:01 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Love as the bond between you and your environment or the other, is the independent confirmation of what is Good on the one hand (hers) and what is True on the other (his), imho. Her intuition tells her whether reality is good or bad when he tries to realize that, so his realization tells him whether intuition is true or false. His true and her good happen simultaneously, if they happen.
fresco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 01:43 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
Your cryptic message above can only be interpreted relative to an idiosyncratic semantic field. Use of your own name and your profile content suggests you are here on a self promotion exercise.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 02:01 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
.....correction...on googling you....self promotion bandwagon !
RonCdeWeijze

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 03:05 am
@fresco,
If it is not done here to use one's own name and to say what one stands for, and put them up to try and be falsified, or left alone when found good and true, then I better move on to a place where these values do count.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:25 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

I've been thinking various things about this, and it's all very watery so I'm putting it on here to try and solidify it.

I'm talking about love in a romantic sense, but also a 'love for the world.'
Bertrand Russell once said, 'love is wise, hatred is foolish.'
I'm wondering what relation this has to 'the self'. (Fresco/JL!)
Surely, if you think of yourself as a unified whole, separate from others and separate from the world, then to 'love' extends this self outwards, whereas to hate re-enforces a one-sided, 'subjective' position.
Does this concept of love relate to non-attachment?

If this 'love' for the world is as profound as I think the implications are, then could love between two people (who think dualistically) in the romantic sense be this profound realisation 'manifest' or 'objectified' thus why it is so important to most human life?
How would a non-dualist 'love' in a romantic sense? Surely phrases such as 'I love you' or more importantly 'I do' are rendered meaningless. Wink

I have read/been told on numerous occasions about love being central to wisdom, and each time thought it was pure sentimentalism and instantly dismissed it until I thought about it in this sense.
What you describe, is many posetive aspects of love, but leaves out the negative sides.

- erotomania
- group think, people who will agressivly defend their idolisation, such as hooligans, fanatic religious people, paranoid people ..etc.
- skitzos, who will "protec" their loved ones, and lock them up so they won't run away.
..etc.
fresco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
Good ! You seem to be trying enough such "places" to sink a ship.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 10:33 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
BTW. I note that one of your " testimonials" comes from a fellow dabbler in the "There's One Born Every Minute Therapy Industry" - one S. Lane Pierce - an" NLP practitioner".

From Wiki, emphasis mine.
Quote:
Despite its popularity, NLP has been largely ignored by conventional social science because of issues of professional credibility and insufficient empirical evidence to substantiate its models and claimed effectiveness. It appears to have little impact on academic psychology, and limited impact on mainstream psychotherapy and counselling. However, it had some influence among private psychotherapists, including hypnotherapists, to the extent that some claim to be trained in NLP and apply it to their practice. NLP had greater influence in management training, life coaching,and the self-help industry.

Mutual back scratching ?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:43 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
RonCdeWeijze wrote:

Love as the bond between you and your environment or the other, is the independent confirmation of what is Good on the one hand (hers) and what is True on the other (his), imho. Her intuition tells her whether reality is good or bad when he tries to realize that, so his realization tells him whether intuition is true or false. His true and her good happen simultaneously, if they happen.

What about gay love?
RonCdeWeijze

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:55 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Roles in those relationships seem to mirror the regular ones (man-woman), so maybe they develop similarly.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:08 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
RonCdeWeijze wrote:

Roles in those relationships seem to mirror the regular ones (man-woman), so maybe they develop similarly.

Do you not think linking 'femininity' with intuition and 'masculinity' with 'truth' is just a really crass generalisation that doesn't actually explain anything about individualized human relationships but just links genders with abstract concepts in a way which you find mentally satisfying?
RonCdeWeijze

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
If that was how my thoughts had formed, I would agree with you and never have said that. However, I assume that there is nothing besides reality and intuition. To realize intuition is one thing we can do, and develop our personality around, mainly by trial and error, while to intuit reality is the other thing, not by trial and error but from an intuitive source that tells us whether it is good or bad, so that we want to keep- or reject it.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:16 am
@RonCdeWeijze,
RonCdeWeijze wrote:

If that was how my thoughts had formed, I would agree with you and never have said that. However, I assume that there is nothing besides reality and intuition. To realize intuition is one thing we can do, and develop our personality around, mainly by trial and error, while to intuit reality is the other thing, not by trial and error but from an intuitive source that tells us whether it is good or bad, so that we want to keep- or reject it.

What's the 'Good = Hers' 'Truth = His' thing got to do with that bit?
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:22 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The purest expression of selfless and unconditional love is selfless action.
If you act selflessly it is impossible not to love you for it. You may be resented for it, but only by those who percieve themselves as less when they contrast themselves to you. A person acting selflessly will create a sharp contrast to those who act selfishly, and for this they are bound to feel shame, which they will then seek to rationalize into something, into whatever they will try to use to diminish the worth of your actions and justify their own.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:27 am
@Cyracuz,
Agreed. It seems quite a pragmatic philosophy but at the same time an unobtainable one.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 09:47 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Your belief that it is unobtainable may be single greatest bar against it ever being a reality.

In the world we have created for ourselves competition is the supreme ideal. Through competition we shall excel and elevate ourselves and find our worth. Who can be selfless under such conditions? Only the crazy man who has no regard for his own health or well being.
But it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society, to quote Krishnamurti.
So we cannot find the solution to how to act selflessly in the world as it is today. We have to reinvent and redefine our valuesystem, and in so doing, collectively and socially reinvent and redefine ourselves.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 10:42 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Your belief that it is unobtainable may be single greatest bar against it ever being a reality.

In the world we have created for ourselves competition is the supreme ideal. Through competition we shall excel and elevate ourselves and find our worth. Who can be selfless under such conditions? Only the crazy man who has no regard for his own health or well being.
But it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society, to quote Krishnamurti.
So we cannot find the solution to how to act selflessly in the world as it is today. We have to reinvent and redefine our valuesystem, and in so doing, collectively and socially reinvent and redefine ourselves.

I don't disagree with your first statement.
If you truly follow this, what kind of lifestyle do you lead? For instance, how is it possible for you to have a job, eat food from the supermarket, own a computer?
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:27 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
It isn't possible.
It is impossible in the world we have created.
We have accepted the notion that a human being is inherently flawed, and rationalized that the way we have it now is the best we can do.
It doesn't matter if you call it original sin or human nature, it is the same socially paralyzing concept. It has us believing that we know what is right, but we cannot do it.
HexHammer

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:32 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen
You don't mention my post, because of ignore or poor answer?
0 Replies

Amphiclea

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 02:49 pm
@Cyracuz,
It may be true that we overvalue the competitive today, but I think it would be wrong to seek to eliminate it. Empedocles seems to have expressed what I mean when he taught that the basis of reality is "love and strife" (Eros and Eris), meaning attraction and repulsion. (Even nowadays, that's pretty good physics, if nothing else.) One finds something similar in Taoism, of course.

What I think it means is that a reality consisting only of attraction, of goodwill, of agreement, would end up stagnant, dead. Like it or not, there has to be a countervailing force of opposition to keep things moving and circulating. I think you hit on that when you said "We have to reinvent and redefine our valuesystem" etc., which would involve trying new variations on what we embrace and what we reject.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 03:15 pm
@Amphiclea,
Quote:
What I think it means is that a reality consisting only of attraction, of goodwill, of agreement, would end up stagnant, dead.

I think there are enough problems associated with living that there is no danger of this.
But I do not suggest we should eliminate competition. But I do not think it should be the prime ideal ahead of considerations of compassion, and that is the case today.
0 Replies