High Triglycerides

Miller

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:42 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

BP=162/103..... Atenolol upped from 25 mgs to 50 mgs per day, quit taking coumadin/warfarin. Lisinopril 20 mg per day. darvoset 100 mg night. Lorazepam .5 mg 2 daily.

Why were you prescribed Lorazepam?
Miller

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:48 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

She said it was high and that it's something I should keep an eye on. She didn't recommend any treatment or any retests or anything.

It may be time to change Docs. Why wait for a major cardiovascular event?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 07:08 am
@Miller,
Thanks, Miller. I acknowledged in my next post that counting triglycerides as part of total cholesterol seems to be common after all. Since this is obviously a heuristic formula, you can expect the coefficient in front of the triglyceride level to vary from source to source. From a biochemical point of view it should be zero, because as I said, triglycerides aren't types of cholesterol. They're a different class of substances.

Medical people sometimes use classifications that make no sense biochemically, but work for them in practice. I guess this is one such time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:02 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

BP=162/103..... Atenolol upped from 25 mgs to 50 mgs per day, quit taking coumadin/warfarin. Lisinopril 20 mg per day. darvoset 100 mg night. Lorazepam .5 mg 2 daily.

Why were you prescribed Lorazepam?
insomnia I guess, my surgeon started me on it the day after my hip replacement and my primary has kept me on it since then.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:01 am
@dyslexia,
Following my last blood test that showed mildly high triglycerides while my cholesterol was OK, my physician said I should take fish oil and get more exersize. That's why I bought the exercise bike and take fishies.

BBB

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 11:24 am
Walking. Do at least a brisk 30 minute walk each day. It's the easiest way to add exercise to your life, and it will do you wonders.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 07:28 pm
I walked after dinner tonight. Thanks for the reminded, Wilso.
Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 07:37 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I walked after dinner tonight. Thanks for the reminded, Wilso.

It's also good for digestion!
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:38 pm
@Wilso,
Not good for the purse, though. I bought 50 bucks worth of books and only one was a gift (at least three will be tax write-offs).
littlek

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:15 pm
@littlek,
Another walk this evening, before dinner. I took a garden tour of the neighborhood.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:21 pm
@littlek,
Humpf! Every time I get something that could be written off, it turns out I lose money by giving up the standard deduction.
littlek

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:46 pm
@roger,
<eyes glazing over>
Maybe I should get me an accountant.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:54 pm
New bloodwork....

Quote:
After fasting for 12 hours my results were
Total Chol: 209 (2009) and 200 (2010)
HDL : 85 (2009) and 81 (2010)
LDL: 75 (2009) and 91 (2010)
TriG: (normal range should be between 70-130 - 150 is considered high) 248 (2009) and 142 (2010) YAY!
Glucose, for comparison is fine: 83 (2009) and 82 (2010)

Maybe docs are just starting to worry about triglycerides, or are worrying in a different way than previously. I can't find a lot of useful data online about:
2. How sensitive is the TriG test? How much does it change due to circumstances? ==> I haven't lost significant weight, I have gotten more exercise and am more careful with food intake
6. Are glycemic values what I should be looking to avoid? Carbohydrates? Sugars? ==> Am eating less pasta, risotto, pizza

I gave blood to be tested during the summer when I am more active and eat healthier.
I have been getting more exercise (strenuous weekly hikes)
I limited my alcohol intake to about half more normal consumption for a few days before the blood was drawn.
I did NOT have an o-my-god-I'm-fasting snack at 11:55 pm.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:00 pm
@littlek,
You should ask your physician.

Your HDL is more than twice mine; the highest I ever heard of somebody with that high a number.

I had blood work done three times in the past two weeks, because of my low platelet count, but everything else looks okay. I still haven't heard from my physician on the last lab work, but believe I'm doing okay.
littlek

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I should ask her what?

CI - platelets do what again? Never mind, I looked it up. Are you on blood thinners? Anti-coagulants?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@littlek,
I just finished a pint of pistachio Ciao Bella gelato tonight. By posting on this thread can I negatively influence your cholesterol scores via the internet?
http://www.icecreamsource.com/assets/images/MicroDaries/Ciao_Bella/NewCiaoBella/CB_PistachGel_lg.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
OMIGOD that looks good! My body doesn't do well with fasting....
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:09 pm
@littlek,
IT tastes better then it looks! Wink says the little devil on the shoulder.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gay-uT5whR4/SEB-nUjvbHI/AAAAAAAACjc/IbdZq2NdivA/s400/little-devil.jpg
littlek

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Happily (or not so happily, depending on how you look at it), ice cream does not like me.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
@littlek,
That makes me sad. <<<<littlek>>>> Crying or Very sad ((sniffle sniff sniff))

So about those numbers? Are they good? Getting better? Or just mortifyingly bad? I can't remember my own personal scores so I can't remember the context of what's good and bad.