High Triglycerides

littlek

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:45 pm
Sounds like a lot of work too.... Maybe I'll try it next fall (I go off risotto in the warmer months).

Lunch: spinach, corn, navy beans, onion, garlic, grape tomatoes tossed and heated with chipotle powder, coriander, cumin and oregano. A handful of mozz, a squeaze of lime and 1/2 of a chopped avocado mixed in after heating. Man it's good!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:52 pm
@littlek,
Still on diet. If you're going to use pasta, I endorse the Dreamfield brand, as osso probably remembers. So far as blood sugar goes, it performs as advertised. I have no idea how that bears on triglycerides.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 07:42 pm
Staying with diet - tonight I splurged. I had two beers and a plate of mac'n'cheese. Not a vege in sight unless you count the slivered scallions.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 08:13 pm
@littlek,
133/100 this evening, the thing is we planned yesterday to take today the 40 miles (one way) to get renewals for all my meds, we do this just to save time and the drive, but when we got there they (the pharmacy) had omitted my "Proair" rescue inhaler for my COPD, I don't use it all that often but when I need it I really need it, but the pharmacy said I still had a week left on my last refill so they could not give me a refill until I c0me back next.
so next week I drive back to the the one inhaler I need and the following week I dive back (same distance) to see my doc. BTW, the pharmacy today told me I could get the inhaler today but it would cost an extra $40.
roger

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 08:15 pm
@dyslexia,
So, 50 cents a mile plus gas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 08:39 pm
40 miles from Alba? What the hell is 40 miles from Alba?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 09:16 pm
@littlek,
Edgewood
littlek

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 09:42 am
@dyslexia,
Why can't you get your meds in NM's biggest city?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 10:02 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Why can't you get your meds in NM's biggest city?
El Paso?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 10:50 am
Really? I meant Albaturkey, of course. Not the biggest?

Last night I had the racing, pounding heart rate again. Most often this type of thing is associated with anxiety/stress. I have no stress/anxiety at the moment (anymore than usual). It woke me up from a sound sleep. I think it was in association with a hot flash (PERImenopause). The beat wasn't irregular, just fast and loud. I did some deep breathing, mental imagery of happy places, etc. After around 1.5 hours, it went away. And since I could feel the force of my heartbeat in my neck, head and ears, when I started to fall asleep I thought I was dead (no heartbeat). I finally did fall back asleep.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 11:15 am
@littlek,
Hmm, I've only had tachycardia once, and that was related to a bathroom episode, decades ago when I was in my twenties.
Some blood pressure monitors give a pulse number too, at least mine does - could be worth catching the number for your doctor.

Seems like time for a doctor talk.
littlek

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I just had a doctor talk! How many times in a year do I have to talk to her?
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:30 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I just had a doctor talk! How many times in a year do I have to talk to her?
yeah, I hear that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:32 pm
@littlek,
Yeah. I get my advice right here. The results seem neither better nor worse.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:27 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Really? I meant Albaturkey, of course. Not the biggest?

Dys likes to call ElPaso, TX the largest city of New Mexico. Obviously he's full of it, as usual. No wonder I never liked him.

Since you just had a doctor talk -- may I ask what her comment on your elevated triglyceride levels was? ("No you may not" is a perfectly valid answer.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:34 pm
She said it was high and that it's something I should keep an eye on. She didn't recommend any treatment or any retests or anything. I think she wants to treat it as a potential anomoly.
Thomas

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:46 pm
@littlek,
Makes sense.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:40 pm
BP=162/103..... Atenolol upped from 25 mgs to 50 mgs per day, quit taking coumadin/warfarin. Lisinopril 20 mg per day. darvoset 100 mg night. Lorazepam .5 mg 2 daily.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:12 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

BP=162/103..... Atenolol upped from 25 mgs to 50 mgs per day, quit taking coumadin/warfarin. Lisinopril 20 mg per day. darvoset 100 mg night. Lorazepam .5 mg 2 daily.
I forgot to include Advair and Proair.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:38 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Miller wrote:
You want total cholesterol to be less than 200.

By the way, you'll notice that in the calculation of total-cholesterol, a value for TG is included. This is standard practice.

I was surprised to hear that, so I double-checked it with printouts of my own bloodwork. The result is inconsistent with what Miller just said: True enough, my German and my American laboratory both give an upper limit of 200 for total cholesterol. But they also both do not include Triglycerides in their definition of total cholesterol.

And that's how it should be: Triglycerides are emphatically not a form of cholesterol. Indeed, we're talking about totally different classes of substances here: Cholesterol is a steroid, whereas Triglycerides are fats. Lumping together LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides under "total cholesterol" makes absolutely no sense. You might as well take Indian elephants, African elephants, and rabbits, then count them together as "total elephants". A quick look at the chemical structures will show you just how different the molecules are. They look nothing alike:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Triglyceride-GeneralStructure.png
General chemical structure of triglycerides (source: Wikipedia)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Cholesterol.svg/440px-Cholesterol.svg.png
Chemical structure of cholesterol (source: Wikipedia)

Determine Your Overall Cholesterol Level
#
Step 1

Request that your doctor perform a lipid panel. This is the type of blood work used to determine the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides present in your bloodstream.
#
Step 2

Remember to refrain from eating or drinking anything other than water for at least 12 hours before your blood is to be drawn. A good way to keep you on track and fasting is to schedule your cholesterol blood work first thing in the morning after your fast.
#
Step 3

Expect to wait at least 1 week before your test results are ready. You can generally request that a copy of your results be sent to your home so you can calculate your total cholesterol on your own.
#
Step 4

Review your test results and note that the levels of cholesterol or lipids in your blood are expressed as mg per decaliter, or mg/dl. This is the accepted unit of measurement for cholesterol and triglycerides.
#
Step 5

Find the test results for your HDL and LDL cholesterol levels. HDL refers to high-density lipoproteins, often characterized as "good" cholesterol, while LDL refers to low-density lipoproteins, the "bad" cholesterol that increases your risk for heart disease.
#
Step 6

Look for a figure representing the total amount of triglycerides in your blood work. Triglycerides are another form of lipids or fats found in the blood stream which in high quantities may indicate an increased risk of heart disease.
#
Step 7

Calculate your total cholesterol by adding your LDL and HDL levels together.
#
Step 8

Divide your triglyceride level by 5 and add that to the sum of your HDL and LDL cholesterol levels. This final sum represents your total cholesterol.

According to this article the TG level is divided by 5. I thought it was 3, so I'll have to research this a bit more.

SOURCE: www.ehow.com

SOURCE: Metabolite levels> Drug Information Handbook, 15th edition