High Triglycerides

littlek

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:47 pm
@dyslexia,
freaking out will just make the BP higher, I guess. And knowing your history might help if that happens again (call my Doc, here's what she said....)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 11:31 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

segue;
3 days ago I saw my primary doc, BP was 156/131, she increased my Atenol by double. An hour ago I took my BP and it was 220/151; I have bean retaking it about every 15 mins and it's slowly going down. now 141/121. pulse 88.

Dys - use the same link I posted for LittleK on the first page here, with blood pressure entered in the search box instead of her triglycerides (these numbers are more reliable than some of the others listed here). If either of you had shown up for an FAA physical with those numbers you would have been grounded instantly..... Not good - you're both at least one standard deviation from the first moment of your respective distributions. Medical sources and what to do are accessible on the links - hope something works soon!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 01:52 pm
High seas..... in English...?
High Seas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 01:55 pm
@littlek,
Sorry, littleK, I wrote absent-mindedly - once again in English:
1. go to
http://www.wolframalpha.com/index.html
2. type "triglycerides" in the search box
3. look at graph that comes up
4. come back for more explanation if needed
High Seas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:07 pm
@High Seas,
PS also see link to "source information" in red, under the graph - that is a list of several articles of varying levels of complexity, some of which have recommendations as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@High Seas,
I did that before (yesterday?), I see that I am way off any kind of average levels. And?
High Seas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:17 pm
@littlek,
Don't panic, read the sources instead - as I don't know how old you are I looked up the likely ranges by age:
http://www.bloodbook.com/ranges.html
It's one of their sources, listed on their link. I can't give medical advice (don't know anything about it), but I trust the numbers on that link, as I said. The original distribution includes all ages, so depending how old you are you may still be within some reasonable range although the number is high. Got to run, so once again - panic is a bad counsel, read things through calmly Smile

PS same goes for Dys - pls explain it to him, he has to start by entering "blood pressure" in the search box, then proceed as you did.
littlek

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@High Seas,
The range for TGs don't vary much.
littlek

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:59 pm
@littlek,
Ok, change is slow and I won't be throwing my food away... so...

Breakfast (7am):
Black coffee (no cream, no sugar, just coffee - which is usual)
Two small slices of multi,whole grain toast with seeds too-> carbs~50g, sugar~2g, protein~10g
With mozz. cheese-> carbs~<1g, sugar~0, protein~16g

No snack

Lunch (12:15pm):
Vege pot pie-> carbs~54g, sugar~3g, protein~9g
Chocolate (IT WAS A GIFT!!)-> unknown nutrients

Snack at home (3:30pm):
Tuna-> carbs~0, sugar~0, protein~25g
Mayo-> maybe carbs~2g
Leftover multigrain pita chips-> carbs~10g, sugar~1g, protein~1g

I took a too-long nap before the movies (I walked), so I ate on the run (7pm)....
An egg and cheese on a half of a english muffin-> nutrients?
And more gift chocolate (2 small squares of dark)-> nutrients?
Decaf green tea
(at least no popcorn and beer!)

Late is better than never? Or no? (10:30pm)
Cup of mic'd frozen asparagus-> nutrients?
Tofu pup-> nutrients?

Part of the problem with eating packaged/prepared is not knowing the nutrrients....
littlek

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:10 pm
So, by doing a very quick search and ball-parking the tofu dog and D&D sammie, I get a total of (not including the chocies which throws things off considerably):

Carbs~145g, sugars~13+g, protein~85g
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:02 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Part of the problem with eating packaged/prepared is not knowing the nutrrients....

Manufacturers of packaged or prepared food often publish the nutritional information on their websites. You may find it worth checking. (Often, they also publish it on the package itself, but I assume you would have noticed it if it had been there.)

One more question about the blood work: was this the first test that turned up this pattern normal sugar and cholesterol, bad triglycerides? These tests are snapshots. If this is the first time this pattern came up, there's a pretty good chance the outcome was a statistical fluke.
jespah

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:49 am
@littlek,
Tofu pup:
nutritional info
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:08 am
@littlek,
Is that a lot more protein than your normal diet? Your carb/protein ratio (145/85) is 1.7, which is fantastic on a low-carb scale but a little heavily weighted to protein for a balanced diet. A quick rule of thumb is that each meal (or day if you aren't worried about sugar spikes) should have a carb/protein ratio of 6, or less, and the carbs should be quality carbs. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some dark chocolate -- it's good for you.

I know the high trig number spooked you and getting it down to normal levels is a good idea, but don't make yourself crazy about it. You're in good overall health. That's the thing to keep in mind. Major dietary changes aren't necessary -- just a bit better balanced and a bit less processed white stuff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:35 am
@Thomas,
Thomas makes a good point too. I had one test that showed I had hypothyroidism (out of normal range), and just one test. The ones before were fine and the ones after have been fine. This could be because I got it under control with exercise, or it could be that the test itself was flawed in some way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 08:10 am
@Thomas,
Repeating a surprise lab test result is common in the med field. Not only can something be a statistical fluke, but it can also be human error. Although well run labs have modes in place to avoid that, it can happen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:19 pm
My TGs were 159 three years ago. Maybe it's a trend, maybe it's a fluke. That's whay I was asking about the sensitivity of the test. The Doc said it was somewhat affected by what I ate over a couple of days (even given the 12-hour fast). But, TGs in the 150s aren't good either.

As for my diet yesterday, I was trying to bump up my protein. When I mentioned the foods I ate, I didn't mention the carb/protein count. I figured I would throw a day out there. I would normally have had a Luna bar, I only have tuna once a week or so, and dinner would normally have been bigger.

Today I found some carb/protein/fat dietary guidelines for various diets to lose weight. I added the keyword 'triglycerides' to see which were better for lowering them. The one called "Moderate Protein Diet" (I think) sounded like it might be something to shoot for. I think the ratio was 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fats.
High Seas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:45 pm
@littlek,
OK, am so sick of know-nothings who would risk YOUR life and limb, li'l K, for no good reason, that I will NOT show up here again, but given your touching trust in my numbers I feel I'm honor-bound to let you know the latest results of effective drug trials:
Quote:
In the recent study, torcetrapid was found to raise HDL levels by an average of 72.1 percent, and lower LDL levels by an average of 24.9 percent.

Sure, it can be done, but what about the experimental subjects? All the fat ones died in that experiment. Died, even though some of them had low blood pressure:

Quote:
Scientists are still unclear why torcetrapid appears to increase patient death rates and heart attack risk. While the drug is known to raise blood pressure, many of the patients who died in the recent study actually had blood pressure levels below normal.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023148.html

I'm not going to be back online until September, Lil K, so I wish you luck Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:49 pm
BP tonite 132/95
littlek

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 03:35 pm
How about today, Dys?

I've been snacking more on nuts and olives (protein and polyunsaturated fat). I bought some unsweetened yogurt to mix with my fruit smoothies.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 05:31 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

How about today, Dys?

I've been snacking more on nuts and olives (protein and polyunsaturated fat). I bought some unsweetened yogurt to mix with my fruit smoothies.
140/100
0 Replies