WRATH

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
He smote the Amalekites hip and thigh . . .

Is anger always bad, is it uncool and contemptible to lose it? Is ever one's wrath righteous, or is eternal pacific contentment the goal toward which we all should strive?

What is your view of anger?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,338 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:26 pm
It really pisses me off when others get angry. It's a feckin' disrepect to the human race and it makes me livid!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
Ayzee now, boyo, don't go hurtin' no one . . .

(Jaysus, bloody youth . . . )
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
Anger is unwarranted. When I see anger it really pisses me off!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 05:35 pm
Hmmm, I got craven's crazy clown avatar with this page - it suits the posts he's made.

I aspire to not get made for petty reasons, but I do every time I drive anywhere. I think there is some righteousness in getting angry enough to do something productive when you see something that is not right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:15 pm
Wrath averted is a woman with flowers.

I rarely see what I perceive as righteous anger. And if it's not righteous it's wrong.

Flowers are never wrong.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:17 pm
My anger is always righteous. I get righteously pissed.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:42 pm
hah.

Sometimes anger is warranted, and necessary. Anger can be a motivating force.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:28 pm
Anger with reasons is the most lethal weapon. America was united in battle after pearl harbor.
Philippine politics changes when the indifference and dissatisfaction of people boils to anger.

on the other hand anger without reasons is simply bigotry and prejudice.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:19 pm
Pronunciation: 'a[ng]-g&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, affliction, anger, from Old Norse angr grief; akin to Old English enge narrow, Latin angere to strangle, Greek anchein
Date: 14th century
1 : a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism
2 : RAGE 2
- an·ger·less /-l&s/ adjective
synonyms ANGER, IRE, RAGE, FURY, INDIGNATION, WRATH mean an intense emotional state induced by displeasure. ANGER, the most general term, names the reaction but in itself conveys nothing about intensity or justification or manifestation of the emotional state <tried to hide his anger>. IRE, more frequent in literary contexts, may suggest greater intensity than anger, often with an evident display of feeling <cheeks flushed dark with ire>. RAGE suggests loss of self-control from violence of emotion <screaming with rage>. FURY is overmastering destructive rage that can verge on madness <in her fury she accused everyone around her of betrayal>. INDIGNATION stresses righteous anger at what one considers unfair, mean, or shameful <a refusal to listen that caused general indignation>. WRATH is likely to suggest a desire or intent to revenge or punish <rose in his wrath and struck his tormentor to the floor>.
--------
I guess if we buy this, anger is natural and likely to be harmless (except maybe to the one harboring it), but wrath denotes meteing out retribution.

IMO, if you can channel your anger appropriately, you won't get to wrath. Wrath sort of suggests fury to me, which is uncontrolled, and dangerous.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:28 pm
I do take a perhaps inordinate pleasure in righteous anger. That was one thing that utterly rocked in my old job... the ADA was fairly new, old for all of the grace periods and contingency plan stuff to have expired, but new enough that a lot of companies really didn't get it. (Well, I guess a lot of them still really don't get it.) So people would come to me with egregious, totally blatant cases of discrimination, and I'd get to go scare the baddies on to the path of righteousness. It was awesome.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:12 pm
I've always been too quick to anger, but have tried to work on myself to control it. I don't show it much, because it's those internal kind of anger at something I consider unreasonable and stupid in my immediate environment or at myself. One thing I can't stand are people talking in movie theaters while the main feature is playing. I tell them to "shut up!" I get angry at people that discriminate for any reason. As often as I get angry, I forget most of them pretty quickly.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:30 pm
Sozobe made me realize that we all tend to anger over something that is important to us. Like her, I have a low boiling point when it comes to the rights of people with disabilities. That anger, used constructively, makes good things happen because it provides energy and impetus--it gets things done!
Senseless anger or anger stemming from defensiveness can be terribly destructive.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:50 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being angry. It's how you deal with the anger, that's the key. Jealousy, guilt, violence, vendettas, passive agressiveness, gossip are all signs of weakness and an inablity to deal with whatever it is that pisses you off.
Ceili
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:35 am
the few times that i have reached what i would call uncontrollable anger in my life have served only to frighten myself, in the realization of what potential capacity for harm i actually possess.

My disdain for the natural processes that have allowed humanity to reach the level of dominant species is, i'm sure well known here; and, the harm that wrathful violence born of abuse of the rights, beliefs, or simply the 'appearance' of others has been well demontrated historically for our 'enlightenment'.

Control of such emotions may be the only route to survival on this planet.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
Saw a quote yesterday.
Uncontrolled anger is like taking a poisin and waiting for the other person to die.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:45 pm
Ceili--
I thought you had some very valuable contributions on this thread.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
Thank you, I don't say it enough, but I like just about everything you say as well.
Ceili
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 03:03 pm
I hate it when I feel I've lost control of my own anger. It usually takes me about ten to fifteen minutes to realize that my anger is 'unreasonable' under the circumstances.
0 Replies

step314

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 03:43 pm
Anger
Anger is only appropriate if you are fighting someone who might sodomize you during the fight. Anger has a momentum which can keep you in hatred after the semen chemicals kick in--anger can keep you from feeling false artificial semen-chemical-induced love for the opponent. However, much of so-called anger is really faked, IMO. That is, for a rapist or whatever, it is convenient for him to pretend that anger is the motivation, inasmuch as it might make him look less bad and more justified. Thus, when people do bad things, they often will try to look like they are angry. I suppose though that this fake anger is so often called anger and so much resembles real anger in its external manifestations, that one might include "fake anger" as a definition for anger--but I suggest that is bad, undesirable usage.
0 Replies