I am depressed

the prince

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:20 am
Yep.

I went and did some retial therapy during lunch - did not help Sad
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:11 am
@the prince,
I'm sure that was a typo and you meant retail therapy. At first I thought it had something to do with the eye, like hypnosis. You're likely in stress along with the depression. I'm assuming you have health insurance through the company -- I'd make an appointment with your doctor and discuss this with him or her. I realize many believe they are pill pushers and will trying and immediately prescribe Xanax or Prozac -- after all, they are practicing medicine. That means they are only practicing.

I always had to get psyched up in order to let anybody go. Or have a couple of drinks at lunch. Drunk Very Happy

the prince

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:26 am
@Lightwizard,
No way I am seeing the doctor !! I will be fine..........
mac11

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:55 am
I'm sorry to hear that retail therapy didn't help. Maybe a2k therapy will.

Will the company pay for counselling? (And would you go?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:59 am
@the prince,
Has the company offered support for the managers etc who are having to let people go?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:01 am
@the prince,
That happens to me from time to time. "I will be fine" is a the right attitude and a good start to get through what's bumming you out. I think you've been around long enough to remember that the aftermath is never nearly as bad as what we imagine it will be. That's the anxiety and apprehension that causes the depressed state, but this sounds like it is a temporary and normal sadness. Just have to shirk off any feeling of blaming yourself when you're not to blame.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:57 pm
@Lightwizard,
ive been battling depression for like 6 years.

anger without enthusiasm.

woot.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 05:30 pm
@OGIONIK,
You certainly know you are not alone and Dr. Andrew Weil makes a good suggestion to start off with -- stop watching the news! It's this damn complicated, sometimes chaotic world that is often just a drag.

Depression is a treatable malfunction of more commonly the pineal gland which secretes serotonin and melatonin. That's a double edged sword because it causes sleeplessness which is also a common cause of depression. You probably already know that, and that melatonin is a cheap over-the-counter supplement. There are diets online that can help increase serotonin -- I believe the best one is at Dr. Weil's website. Omega-3 fatty acids, which there is a high intake in countries like Japan, are mood elevators. So eat a lot of fish. If you have a taste for sardines (I like the tiny Norwegian in fish oil), start snakin'

I'm you already know that exercise produces endorphins which elevate the mood but I've never really explored what natural remedies will increase dopamine, also a mood elevator. I know Wellbutrin is the one prescribed drug that boosts dopamine and is prescribed for most people trying to recover from crystal meth.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:20 pm
listening, here....
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:26 pm
@the prince,
Don't make me come over there! Wink

What is the stigma about seeing a doctor? If you were hurting physically, you would see a dr, wouldn't you? Well there is no difference. Depression is a physical manifestation. You are having physical symptoms because yo ur brain chemistry has gotten out of balance from the stress you're under. G, there is nothing unmanly about asking for help. Please talk to some one, OK?
margo

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:33 pm
@Swimpy,
Wow! Hadn't thought of threatening him. Would have done that if he was here - but, that far away.....

Dun guud, Swimpy!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:51 pm
Prince, you lucky guy you, to not even know the difference between depression (everything sucks forever) and sadness (this situation sucks right now).

You will snap back, and soon. You'll NOT feel happy about this situation, but your normally-upbeat view of life will return, with a bit of time.

Your reaction is entirely rational and expected; I don't think you need therapy.

Time does NOT heal all wounds, but it makes nicely protective scars. They're forming right now.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:56 pm
@Swimpy,
I'm with you if the depression has been going on for some time. There are still people who believe they shouldn't have ups-and-downs -- wanting that to be true and it actually being true are two different things. Then there's manic-depressive where those mood swings are like being on a very scary roller coaster. He is, in effect, talking to somebody here -- most of us know him from way back, so I hope we've helped. It can become exactly like getting a bad case of the flu that's lasted more than a few days and suffering without seeking medical help.

One thing I know, it's certainly proof that The Prince is empathetic -- he should be happy just because of that alone.
0 Replies