Are people who believe in God “weaker” than people who don’t?

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:49 pm
@spendius,
they do have it alot easier when/if they stare into the abyss.

*wink*
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:41 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that there are now some cosmologists that believe that there could be universes with different rules of physics.

I wonder if a god could create multiple universes, could he/she create some in which he/she doesn't exist?
Eorl

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:44 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

but any action or belief, whether it is religious, atheist, anarchy, peace, all rest on assumptions by definition. if everyone was agnostic, then we would have no worry about socal and moral decay.

This presumes that religion is the only source of social and moral convention, does it not?
Kenson

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:12 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that there are now some cosmologists that believe that there could be universes with different rules of physics.

I wonder if a god could create multiple universes, could he/she create some in which he/she doesn't exist?

What do you know about 'God'?

Do you think that 'God' is a he/she/or an invisible power??

'God' is only a 'Truth' to be accepted as the foundation of your faith . Rolling Eyes

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:35 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

existential potential wrote:

but any action or belief, whether it is religious, atheist, anarchy, peace, all rest on assumptions by definition. if everyone was agnostic, then we would have no worry about socal and moral decay.

This presumes that religion is the only source of social and moral convention, does it not?

I would be the first to say that I know Atheists or non-religious types who have a strong sense of ethics and whom I trust implicitly. On the other hand, I can't think of any countries who adopted Atheism as the mandatory religion of the land in which life was satisfactory for more than a few or human rights were assigned any importance.

So where does the social consensus on what is right and wrong come from?
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:39 pm
@Kenson,
I think Earl's question was not unreasonable at face value. I think most who believe in God do not presume that they know as much as God. I mean a God that we could explain or describe or define or understand wouldn't be much of a God would he? So it follows that if we can only know that of God that he reveals to us, it is therefore likely that we understand and/or have experienced only the tiniest fraction of all there is to know and experience. I think God does not mind our questions at all--even the questions of non believers--no matter how speculative or far fetched they might seem to us now. Whether believers or non-believers, when we no longer have questions we become fundamentalist fanatics. Not something to aspire to.
Eorl

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:41 pm
@Kenson,
Laughing

Finally, someone who knows the Truth! I've been waiting for you to show up.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

So where does the social consensus on what is right and wrong come from?

It comes from the social consensus, which is why any two Christian communities can have polar opposite views on any given moral situation.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 11:39 pm
@Kenson,
Kenson wrote:

Eorl wrote:

What do you know about 'God'?

Do you think that 'God' is a he/she/or an invisible power??

'God' is only a 'Truth' to be accepted as the foundation of your faith . Rolling Eyes

Actually, this is an interesting response, for it makes me wonder, if you actually believe in a particular god, (in this case "God", presumably one of the Judeo-Christian ones), does it make it difficult or even immoral for you to discuss theoretical other gods?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:02 am
@Foxfyre,
I'd be interested to know what countries you know of which have adopted atheism as the mandatory "religion of the land." Don't make **** up, and be prepared to show your work.

(This is all about the commie boogey man, ain't it?)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:16 am
@Foxfyre,
A universe containing a god that can and would randomly change the laws of nature would be a good idea of hell.

And as human logic and understanding could hardly predict what such a god would or would not do most of the time such a god actions would seem random as far as human intellect is concern.

Yes Foxfyre your god would also be your devil all roll into one.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 06:49 am
"Are people who believe in God “weaker” than people who don’t?"

a) If there is a god who provides strength to those who ask for it, then they are stronger. If it's enough extra strength to matter, then it should be measurable, through twin studies for instance.

b) If there is a god but it does not provide strength to believers, they may start weaker and remain weak, they may start weak and yet gain strength via placebo, or they may be stronger from the outset. There are too many other variables.

c) If no gods exist, same as b)

It may not be possible to disprove all gods, but it's at least imaginable that we could disprove some kinds of gods in which some people have faith. For example, we know that a god who is willing and able to cure amputees does not exist, but one that cures vague variable diseases cannot be easily disproved. hmmm.... Maybe I'll start a thread about the varieties of gods Whom we can prove Don't Exist.
spendius

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 11:30 am
@Eorl,
A God/s does not exist when the culture that worships it/them destructs.
BillRM

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:39 am
@spendius,
I am a little confused on your last posting.

If the followers of a god destruct/war against others then the god is not a real god?

Is that your meaning?

spendius

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:16 am
@BillRM,
I meant down the tube. Then their God is dead. Yes?

If the human race vanished Gods would vanish. Gods are evolutionary instruments. That's why the anti-IDers on the evolution threads are up the creek.
tenderfoot

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:45 pm
@spendius,
Not as far up as you Splendiouse
spendius

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 08:37 am
@tenderfoot,
Well tf- you won't find any reference in the instruction manuals to the God of the Muckeeanus tribe because She ceased to exist when they did.

Which proves my point rather than yours.
tenderfoot

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:17 pm
@spendius,
Well -- we all know where your point is, and it's not up the creek... is it.
0 Replies