Rest in Peace, Diva

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:20 pm
I have sad news to deliver. My friend Marietta P., whom many of you have known on Abuzz under the screen name TheDivaDen or just Diva, is dead. She died yesterday of a cause I know little about, the only two words I heard being "blood clots". That's all I know, because Diva's friend Steven was so upset when he broke the news to me that he could hardly talk. (Steven is TsarStepan to those of you who used to be on Abuzz.) Not wanting to needlessly add to his pain, I chose not to probe him about details. So this is all I can tell you about her passing right now.

Diva / Marietta is survived by her husband, her parents, and her brother. I'll try to add more information as I get it. And as it gets easier for me to talk, too, which I hope it eventually will.

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:52 pm
@Thomas,
Very sorry to hear that, Thomas.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Thomas))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:58 pm
@Thomas,
I recall her as eurodiva as well. I am so sorry. Please tell your friend that we are thinking of her family, Thomas
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:00 pm
@Thomas,
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was a fan of Diva, and have some very mmm energetic memories. The Tsar also holds a special place in my internet heart as one of his Abuzz threads was the first one I posted to.

(((((((( Thomas, and all those who loved and cared for Diva ))))))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:01 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you for telling us, Thomas. I was on abuzz, but only towards the end for a year - or less, since I had a horrendo time logging in, and didn't know Diva - but did see her referred to and know people liked her.

I am sorry for her husband and family and friends, including online friends.

I had a friend from abuzz who some knew and some didn't, who died, and still remember her these years later - so I understand.

Rest in peace, Marietta.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:06 pm
I'm so sorry, Thomas. We were just talking about her Saturday evening...

May have been Thronbophilia if it was blood clot related, Does that sound right?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:19 pm
Wow, that is shocking news. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Thomas.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:21 pm
@Thomas,
Oh my...

This is one of those "does not compute" things.

I know you guys were very close. What horrible news.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:27 pm
Please convey my respects to her parents and husband.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:09 pm
@Thomas,
Sorry about her death Thomas. I dont recall her posts but the name is familiar.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:12 pm
This is quite a shock. I always thought of her as young, at least younger than i. I am very sorry to hear it--she was one of my first friends at Abuzz, and i greatly regret this news.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:49 pm
Oh,my. Thank you for telling us. Respects to her family, and to you, of course.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:45 pm
how sad.

R.I.P.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:07 pm
Diva was...well, a diva. I wish she had made it to A2k, as well. I remember how she kept us all up to date on September 11. She was trying to help as many people as she could. I'm glad you got to know her, Thomas. You were a lucky man.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:07 pm
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and your much-needed hugs. I'll relay them to TsarStepan and Diva's family when I get the chance. (Her husband from England and her parents from Pittsburgh will arrive in New York City tomorrow.)

Squinney -- "thrombophilia" is Greek for "friendly to blood clots". So yes, the term does sound right, but it merely restates in medical-speak that there was a blood-clot problem. It doesn't add any information.

Sozobe -- "does not compute" is exactly right. I feel the same way -- plus, I don't really want it to compute.

Setanta -- Diva was indeed young. She died 39 years old. That's part of what makes her death so shocking (that was an apt adjective, littlek!). The way the hits are getting closer, the way it always strikes the wrong people. I'll resist the urge to be gratuitously nasty and compile a list of better-suited targets, and who's asking anyway, but ... it's just so confusing and depressing.

Since you mention her being one of your first friends on Abuzz, it might not be a matter of total indifference to you that she was the one who encouraged me not to give up on you. One of my first Abuzz posts was what I considered a civil and reasonably well-informed submission to a history thread, to which you responded by calling it fascistic. Being new and inexperienced, I was aghast and asked Diva what the **** was going on. With some effort, she convinced me that you know what you're talking about, and that I better spend some time refuting your arguments if I think they're so wrong. I'm glad she did. She was right.

Swimpy -- it's curious you should mention September 11. I'm thinking of mirroring the Abuzz September 11 threads for a few weeks, because they really show Diva at her best (and, I think, her most characteristic -- but I'm biased of course). Sadly, it seems I saved them on a backup drive that I left back in Germany. If somebody in this thread could e-mail a copy of them to me, I would appreciate that very much.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:39 pm
Sad and shocking news indeed. My most memorable interaction with her was related to the events of 9/11. She was concerned about every New Yorker. Are we all OK? She checked and checked and checked. I had an asthmatic reaction to the horrible smell of the burning towers. She offered to come to my home to care for me.

What a woman. I've often thought of her. Everyone's mother at that time. I had no idea she was so young.

Terrible loss--to those who knew and loved her and to the world at large.

Thomas, Please convey my condolences to her family. (And thanks for directing me to this thread.)

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 06:20 am
@Thomas,
Thomas, I didn't know Diva/Marietta, but I would like to say that I'm so sorry that you've lost a good friend.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:00 am
@Thomas,
I am so sorry, Thomas. May she rest in peace.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:19 am
Thank you for the thread, Thomas. I'm horrified, but i would rather have known.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:54 am
@Letty,
Yes, she was know on Abuzz as Eurodiva.

As I recall, during one of her final posts, I thought she said she had cervical cancer. ( If this is the same EuroDiva I'm thinking of).

She was a a delighful poster on ABuzz and one I'll never forget and as other have said, EuroDiva was a major poster during the events of 9/11/01. As you probably know, those threads have been saved and can be read again.