Director of Hirshhorn Museum Named Director of Smithsonian's

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 01:30 pm
Two of my favorite museums. I love the Hirshhorn ---BumbleBeeBoogie

Oct 3, 2003
Director of Hirshhorn Museum Named Director of Smithsonian's International Art Galleries
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Ned Rifkin, director of the Smithsonian Institution's Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, has been named director of its five international art museums.

In addition to the Hirshhorn, which specializes in modern art, he will oversee two Asian art museums - the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery - and the Museum of African Art, all in Washington. The fifth is the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York.

The National Gallery of Art in Washington is a separate entity from the Smithsonian.

Rifkin succeeds Thomas Lentz, who will go to Cambridge, Mass., to direct the Harvard University Art Museum. Rifkin, 54, was chief curator at the Hirshhorn from 1986 to 1991, leaving to direct the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and then the Menil Collection and Foundation in Houston.

He returned to direct the Hirshhorn last year.

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAEKIQKCLD.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 03:51 pm
Iv'e been considering doing an internship at the Hirshorn, but it's not a paid internship and it's out of state, so I don't know if I can afford it. My aunt works for the museum, and she really wants me to go. I think I'll apply anyway, and hope they decide to change it to paid.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
PortalStar
PortalStar, too bad about the internship. I hope something else turns up for you.

Oooh, a museum insider. What could your aunt tell us about the inside workings of a museum that most people wouldn't know about?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 03:59 pm
hmm I don't know I don't talk to her very often. She's actually my great aunt. I'll ask her next time we chat, and if I get the internship I'll be sure to give you the scoop.
0 Replies