Manny being Manny?

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:15 am
Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games for positive drug test

Los Angeles Dodgers slugger Manny Ramirez tested positive for a banned performance-enhancing substance, incurring an immediate 50-game ban and serving the highest-profile reminder yet that the use of such drugs in the testing area may have been reduced, but not eradicated.
Major League Baseball plans to announce the suspension later today. Ramirez, a baseball source told SI.com, explained to baseball officials he was uncertain that he was taking a banned substance and may have had a medical reason for using the substance.

The source said the substance was not classified as a steroid but was clearly defined as a banned performance-enhancer according to the drug agreement between baseball the players association. Banned substances can only be taken with prior knowledge and medical clearance from baseball's drug program administrators. Such exceptions are known as Theraputic Use Exemptions, or TUEs. The suspension is an indication that Ramirez did not have a TUE for the substance.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/07/manny/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:17 am
@Region Philbis,
I'd say Jason Bay has made a fine replacement for your Sawx.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:23 am
@Gargamel,

no doubt!

it's the first big name to get caught since they started testing...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:32 am
Just read the report. Ain't life sweet. Manny probably (as he has with other things) figured not being allowed to take drugs did not apply to him - just like not reporting to spring training on time, to practice, etc.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:34 am
@Linkat,

bora$ got some splainin' to do...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Bummer for the Desert Sandpaws..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Nice thing is - it isn't our problem - yeah I'd take Jason Bay any day over the big cry baby.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:21 am
@Linkat,
Sure, he just started taking 'roids now. Sure he did.

Gargamel

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:27 am
@Woiyo9,
Not roids but some other banned performance-enhancing substance.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:29 am
@Gargamel,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SURE!!!!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:39 am
@Woiyo9,
My meaning is Manny isn't our problem now - which fortunately he isn't
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 12:32 pm
@Linkat,
Your suggesting he was clean with the Red Sox?????
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 12:59 pm
@Woiyo9,
NO, I'm suggesting Boston doesn't have to deal with his antics any longer.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:27 pm
Quote:
ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada are reporting that the drug used by Ramirez is actually human chorionic gonadotropin, a women's fertility drug often used by steroid users to restart their body's testosterone production after a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/05/report_manny_ra.html
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 01:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh my, that is just too weird - a women's fertility drug? That must be why these guys all have boobs now.
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 02:42 pm
@Linkat,
Manny quote...."Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me...." - he must have been trying to have a baby - what other medical reason do you use a woman's fertility drug?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 04:35 pm
@Linkat,
Ooh, boobs as a giveaway...

(but wait, I'm not in the entirely anti Manny camp. Just saying that makes more sense if so).
I have a vested interested, presumably, because of fantasy baseball, but eh, I flip players often for the learning. So, that doesn't really cloud my pov. Which is, I'm generally not for bio enhancing ****.
Define ****..
Well, I have to think on that. Regular exercise is ok..
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 01:52 pm

immediate repercussions --

the dodgers lost their first home game of the season last night -- to the worst team in baseball, no less...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada are reporting that the drug used by Ramirez is actually human chorionic gonadotropin, a women's fertility drug often used by steroid users to restart their body's testosterone production after a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/05/report_manny_ra.html

Quote:
It is also used in the treatment of undescended testicles in young males.
0 Replies