Thoughts on: childrens programing

Xenoche

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 10:57 pm
Our children will be the bearers of our actions, today, and with more people than ever watching the box, including our kids, it seems kind of strange to find the very attitudes we don't want our kids to adopt in these seemingly innocent sections of programing. So over the last couple of days I've been watching kids shows, just to see. And I was pretty surprised to see so many shows containing child actors openly displaying their abject hatred of school.
Now, I watched my far share of garbage tv when I was younger, but never had I seen this kind of educational slander from child actors, I assume some children would even go so far as to look up to them.

Aswell as noticing school is somehow the epitome of pointlessness, I learned how to:
-Manipulate a couple to break up, as to acquire their boyfriend/girlfriend.
-That money doesn't come from work, it comes when you hold your hand out in front of your parents.
-That money can be printed and forged with ease (yea, real smart Rolling Eyes ).
-That (school) politics requires you to be more insidious than your opposition in order to win and being honest is a weak position (probably closer to the truth than I will ever know).
-That a sponge lives in a pineapple under the sea.

What interesting/funny/annoying/idiotic things have you learned on a children's show today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,024 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:33 am
I learned that Acme rocket shoes can be pretty dangerous.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:41 am
@Xenoche,
We get round the clock PBS kids shows and I find they are excellent, much better than the stuff I remember from my youth. Maybe you're just on the wrong channel.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:46 am
TV isn't that bad compared to the alternative. Make sure you keep your kids away from books, where they will learn...

- You can fly if you have pixie dust.
- Shoving your stepmother in a hot oven is a good way to get rid of her.
- If your mom is mean, a young girl can run away and live with 7 single men who will take care of her as long as she cleans up after them.
- Eating mushrooms will make you grow smaller.
- Animals talk when humans aren't looking.
- Pre-teens are happier when they live without parents.

Compared with what you find in childrens literature, what's on TV doesn't seem so bad.

((on the other hand, we could just chill out and let kids be kids))
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:40 am
I've learned that sponages live in a pineapple under the sea and that you can make fire under water.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 10:48 am
@Linkat,
Mija and I love Spongebob!

A show that we can watch together that both of us enjoy is a good thing. She also likes Hannah Montana which makes me want to pull what remains of my hair out. On the other hand... she doesn't seem to enjoy Countdown with Keith Olbermann the way I do.

There is nothing wrong with a little inspired silliness.

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 11:02 am
@ebrown p,
I agree - I think most kids (depending on the age) can understand the difference between silliness and reality. Yes we have the Hannah stuff going on as well.

But as far as the whole negative stuff like hating school, lying and crap - most of these kids' shows end up showing these things as negatives - like whenever they try to manipulate or lie they get into trouble.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:32 pm
Yeah, I boot them outside (not literally of course) once they've had an adequate TV fix.

I like Spongebob for the same reason I enjoy watching Family guy, the randomness is awesomeness.
0 Replies